Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Sep 19, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #3,271 of 5,568
I don't know if it's a matter of taste or if our ears tend to react differently to the spectrum (perhaps both) but I have the Earsonics EM6 that for me, is a reference (no direct comparison, just reference) and I have to say that the treble of the W4 remind me more the EM6 / EM4 ( 1300 USD Ciem) than the PFE.

It already was a problem in sound signature with the PFE 112/122 with the peak in the treble region...and with the 232.

It's just my point of wiev, if others like it more than others, it's ok but I react just to say that not everybody likes the PFE 232 even if perhaps, they are technicaly better than the W4. 

Sep 19, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #3,272 of 5,568
Quote:

I actually didn't find the 232 treble fatiguing, but did find a slight sibilance in the W4R treble.  The 232 do do some things better than the W4 midrange-wise (partly due to the veil the W4 imposes).  

With the triple flanges w/ stalks cut & the hard translucent silicone, I did manage to hear this as well. I haven't seen others mention this a lot, so its nice to see another confirmation. What tips were you using? With foam tips, it can actually become the opposite - there can be a lack of treble energy, as well as less crispness. Still searching for that in-between, Hybrids seem to be close, but it's hard to get them to stay on the stems. 

When/if I get them made into customs, I'd probably want another custom that complements the W4s. Anyone with customs experience have any suggestions? I was looking at the UERM and the Miracles. Something more analytical, with a tighter, cleaner, and more engaging sound would be nice.  Something that would be what the K701 is to the HD6xx line (which I find to be as close as a full-size equivalent to the W4s), if you will. 

Sep 19, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #3,273 of 5,568
Quote:

I actually didn't find the 232 treble fatiguing, but did find a slight sibilance in the W4R treble.  The 232 do do some things better than the W4 midrange-wise (partly due to the veil the W4 imposes).  

With the triple flanges w/ stalks cut & the hard translucent silicone, I did manage to hear this as well. I haven't seen others mention this a lot, so its nice to see another confirmation. What tips were you using? With foam tips, it can actually become the opposite - there can be a lack of treble energy, as well as less crispness. Still searching for that in-between, Hybrids seem to be close, but it's hard to get them to stay on the stems. 

When/if I get them made into customs, I'd probably want another custom that complements the W4s. Anyone with customs experience have any suggestions? I was looking at the UERM and the Miracles. Something more analytical, with a tighter, cleaner, and more engaging sound would be nice.  Something that would be what the K701 is to the HD6xx line (which I find to be as close as a full-size equivalent to the W4s), if you will. 

Using stock greys (mushroom).

Sep 19, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #3,274 of 5,568
Quote:

I only tried some demos and I would agree that the Miracles would do the job. Also, the JH13 too. 

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #3,276 of 5,568
Quote:
Hmm, these, Earsonics SM3 or Shure SE535...
Tough decision..

My 0.02 cents are for the Shure's. Sound signature aside for the moment, from everything I've read and what I can see the Shure's will be more comfortable. I only looked at the SM3 and returned before actually trying them (therefore maybe only 1/2 a cent :)
The Shure's I've worn for many hours straight without any difficulty after trying different positions and finding the right one for me.

Sep 20, 2012 at 6:08 AM Post #3,277 of 5,568
I'm just saying that the 232s would give me fatigue on my part and not in general..

my friend whom I traded my ex1000 also has the 232 and i can see that he really has high tolerance on the trble region than I

@tinyman

yes it has slight sibilance on the grey tips but I discovered the farther the tips are on the bore the lesser the sibilance or no more sibilance

Sep 20, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #3,278 of 5,568
Quote:
I'm just saying that the 232s would give me fatigue on my part and not in general..
my friend whom I traded my ex1000 also has the 232 and i can see that he really has high tolerance on the trble region than I
@tinyman
yes it has slight sibilance on the grey tips but I discovered the farther the tips are on the bore the lesser the sibilance or no more sibilance

Tried it, done it.  Didn't fix it.  232s didn't give me sibilance though.  

Sep 20, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #3,279 of 5,568
Quote:
My 0.02 cents are for the Shure's. Sound signature aside for the moment, from everything I've read and what I can see the Shure's will be more comfortable. I only looked at the SM3 and returned before actually trying them (therefore maybe only 1/2 a cent :)
The Shure's I've worn for many hours straight without any difficulty after trying different positions and finding the right one for me.

I disagree hugely. Of course comfort is personal, but I find the W4 so much more comfortable! 

Sep 20, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #3,280 of 5,568
Quote:

I disagree hugely. Of course comfort is personal, but I find the W4 so much more comfortable! 

Yes that is true man, I agree.
even with the grey stock it is so comfortable.

Sep 24, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #3,281 of 5,568
I agree so much on the comfort. Bliss inside the motorcycle helmet even.

Sep 25, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #3,283 of 5,568
loving  the amped W4 with PICO Headphone amp- no hiss like the Arrow 4G 
beerchug.gif

Sep 25, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #3,284 of 5,568

Users who are viewing this thread

Back