Westone 3 universal IEM....
May 5, 2007 at 2:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 169

Ray Samuels

Member of the Trade: Ray Samuels Audio
At the National meet I was approched by this fine young man who introduced himself as "Doug" & I was really looking forward to meeting him as we did have some e-mail exchange regarding IEMs & portable amps. It did not take too long before he grabbed one of the IEMs & put it in my hand & asked me to give it a listen. It sat in my case for a week as my wife & I had some sight seeing to do in California.
When we got home I remembered Weston 3, so I hooked it up to a portable
source & to one of the portable amps & let it burn for 7 days non stop.
Today I grabbed my gear & my portables plus Weston 3 IEM, which I have not given a listen, to return it to Doug as I am heading to Colorado's meet.
Now I do have some very impressive IEMs with me, like Ultimate Ear, UE-10, I don't have to comment on their performance, as every time I listen to them I say WOW. I also have the Weston ES-2. These cans need no further comments, I do feel that I am torn between two lovers. Both have the sound that puts you in a trance & love to spend every moment with each & my love is split between the two.
In the plane, I decided to give the little UNIVERSAL Weston 3 a listen.
Oh my God...am I listening to IEMs that are not custom built to my ears?
I was truely shocked, I have never experienced this kind of intimacy with universal IEMs. The sound produced from these little phones was magical.
The highs were full of "honey" sweeeetttttt, with extension only produced from the very best drivers. Bass was deeeeeppppp, tied with authority. It produced the sub bass that Bella Sonus CD is known off. The mids were magical. The balance of high, mid & bass was outstanding & the sound stage was so big I could never believe it was coming from these cans.
So I decided to keep these cans & add them to my collection at any cost.
All I want to say, if you are looking into "UNIVERSAL" IEMs, Westone 3 will be
the way to go. It really put a big smile on my face, it truely made my 2 hours flight so enjoyable.
Ray Samuels

May 5, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #5 of 169
I need to ask my wife to look after my wallet.....
tongue.gif

May 5, 2007 at 3:20 AM Post #6 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At the National meet I was approched by this fine young man who introduced himself as "Doug" & I was really looking forward to meeting him as we did have some e-mail exchange regarding IEMs & portable amps. It did not take too long before he grabbed one of the IEMs & put it in my hand & asked me to give it a listen. It sat in my case for a week as my wife & I had some sight seeing to do in California.
When we got home I remembered Weston 3, so I hooked it up to a portable
source & to one of the portable amps & let it burn for 7 days non stop.
Today I grabbed my gear & my portables plus Weston 3 IEM, which I have not given a listen, to return it to Doug as I am heading to Colorado's meet.
Now I do have some very impressive IEMs with me, like Ultimate Ear, UE-10, I don't have to comment on their performance, as every time I listen to them I say WOW. I also have the Weston ES-2. These cans need no further comments, I do feel that I am torn between two lovers. Both have the sound that puts you in a trance & love to spend every moment with each & my love is split between the two.
In the plane, I decided to give the little UNIVERSAL Weston 3 a listen.
Oh my God...am I listening to IEMs that are not custom built to my ears?
I was truely shocked, I have never experienced this kind of intimacy with universal IEMs. The sound produced from these little phones was magical.
The highs were full of "honey" sweeeetttttt, with extension only produced from the very best drivers. Bass was deeeeeppppp, tied with authority. It produced the sub bass that Bella Sonus CD is known off. The mids were magical. The balance of high, mid & bass was outstanding & the sound stage was so big I could never believe it was coming from these cans.
So I decided to keep these cans & add them to my collection at any cost.
All I want to say, if you are looking into "UNIVERSAL" IEMs, Westone 3 will be
the way to go. It really put a big smile on my face, it truely made my 2 hours flight so enjoyable.
Ray Samuels

Ray,
How would you compare the 3's to the E500/SE530's? Are they all around better than the Shure 500 series?

May 5, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #10 of 169
So Ray, what amp were you using??

May 5, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #12 of 169
Wow, I'm rarely this spoiled...I'm getting the chance to hear the triple.fi's, e500's, AND new Westone 3's tomorrow at the Colorado meet AT the Westone facility ! ! ! (and I'm meeting Ray)

Sorry, had to rub it in a bit
smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #13 of 169
This is all real good but when are they coming out with a balanced version? Ray, can you build a balanced TH??

May 5, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #14 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is all real good but when are they coming out with a balanced version? Ray, can you build a balanced TH??

thats actually not a bad idea.

a balanced portable amp/iem?

May 5, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #15 of 169
With a high quality IEM imagine the sound you could get!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back