Westone 3 Impressions Thread
Dec 5, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #1,726 of 2,224
Quote:
Thanks bro. does the midbass hump not making the details drown out? im quite worried about that.Do you recommend the Westone 3 over other westone universals for metal and edm? I laso heard that it is very tip dependent. 

The sound will definitely change with the tip you use. Using Comply, the bass is powerful and the highs are slightly quieter. Using the standard tips it is pretty much the way the guy who mixed it intended it to sound. Well, close enough. In my opinion, the midbass hump does not hide any details of the song. It isn't super exaggerated where that's all you hear.
Since you listen to EDM, I am assuming you want powerful bass. The W3 gives you enough bass for a fun experience if you use foam tips. From memory, it has enough bass to please a basshead. Well, my basshead side, at least. There may be people out there that want their bass 3x louder than the rest of the spectrum.
I have not heard the other models, so I cannot say, but it is known that the Westone 4 sounds more neutral so no areas have any emphasis. So if you are really worry about detail, go for that.

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #1,727 of 2,224
The mid-bass hump actually helps on bad recordings but REALLY bothers many people.  Not muddy at all.  I can think of other IEM's that have tight bass but terrible transients where everything is blurred together.  This is a much worse scenario that often gets overlooked.

The W3 is a very revealing IEM.  No details are drown out anywhere.  The 3-way crossover makes everything tight and fast.  Everything is very crisp sounding with a lot of air and a big soundstage, moreso than both UM3X or W4.

Dec 6, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #1,729 of 2,224
Quote:
hey guys, just a quick question. Would these be good for metal/rock? I listen to a lot of metal like Gojira, Kreator, Children of Bodom, Krisiun, etc.. and was wondering if these woud fit the bill. Or will i be better off with a Sony MDR7550(ex800st)? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Metal, rock, electronic, classical, you name it. If you pair the westies with a decent player, such as a rockboxed ipod video (version 5.5), the mid-bass hump totally dissolves. I can compare the sound I'm getting from them to my pair of hd-600 , that powered by different source, of course. For me the factory installed comply tips work best with these....

Dec 6, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #1,730 of 2,224
Quote:
I (think I) found out why they have been cracking! I believe the cause is due to the force created when the cable gets caught on something. This force pulls the shell upwards while still ankered to your ear, causing the shell to split.

Oh, that's bad news, I'm getting mine ripped out of my ears way too frequently. The cable is somewhat longer than needed, it never misses a table corner or just about anything that it can get nabbed by...

Dec 16, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #1,732 of 2,224
been using westone 3 for years now and so much that my hd600 were lying unused and almost decided to sell them but realized then i will regret it.

now i have auditioned westone 4 and immediately i noticed that they dont suffer from that sibilance and have a more refined sound imaging.

but then i tried some JH customs (forgot the exactly model but they cost less than $800) with universal tips (some audition model).

I made a mistake because i had kind of stopped visiting head-fi for years and was happy with my Westone 3 but now I can't wait to jump on the custom iem ship.

but as far as universal IEM's go, there is nothing that had come close to westone 3 and i had tried nearly every top tier iem out there that existed 2 years ago.

Feb 2, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #1,733 of 2,224
Hi, I have some leaking out issues for my W3. Just wondering if it is because I'm listening at too high a volume ? (iPhone 4s @ 75% or more)

Feb 2, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #1,735 of 2,224
Quote:
been using westone 3 for years now and so much that my hd600 were lying unused and almost decided to sell them but realized then i will regret it.

now i have auditioned westone 4 and immediately i noticed that they dont suffer from that sibilance and have a more refined sound imaging.

but then i tried some JH customs (forgot the exactly model but they cost less than $800) with universal tips (some audition model).

I made a mistake because i had kind of stopped visiting head-fi for years and was happy with my Westone 3 but now I can't wait to jump on the custom iem ship.

but as far as universal IEM's go, there is nothing that had come close to westone 3 and i had tried nearly every top tier iem out there that existed 2 years ago.

Was probably the JH7.

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #1,736 of 2,224
Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A foam tip shouldn't leak much at almost any volume but a silicone tip will, especially at high volume.

I tried various foam tips and ppl could hear my music when I turn it to more than 75%. :frowning2:

Feb 3, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #1,737 of 2,224
I've been using Westone 3 for four years now. I love their sound!
I am wondering what full-size headphones most similar to Westone 3 would be. Any ideas?

Feb 3, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #1,738 of 2,224
Quote:
I've been using Westone 3 for four years now. I love their sound!
I am wondering what full-size headphones most similar to Westone 3 would be. Any ideas?

I'm listening my w3's exclusively trough an ipod video 5.5 rockboxed, this setup mimics the sound signature of my HD-600s. If you want to go with full size headphones and you don't mind open aire, the Sennheiser HD-600 would be a very good option. Switching back and forth I'm noticing a lot more details from the big cans, and better imaging.

Feb 3, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #1,739 of 2,224
I'm listening my w3's exclusively trough an ipod video 5.5 rockboxed, this setup mimics the sound signature of my HD-600s. If you want to go with full size headphones and you don't mind open aire, the Sennheiser HD-600 would be a very good option. Switching back and forth I'm noticing a lot more details from the big cans, and better imaging.

This is also exactly how i listen to my W3 (through rockboxed ipod 5.5). Great combination!
I have to try the HD600. Thanks for recommendation.

Feb 3, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #1,740 of 2,224
So, after having these on loan from a friend, I decided I had to source a pair, there's something about the sound I enjoy, a touch mid bassy at times and maybe a little warm but beyond that is a nice size headstage, tone, detailing levels and imaging. Also, I have never heard another IEM do Taylor Swifts vocals so much justice. It was at that moment while listening to "Hey Stephen" yesterday I just had to have a pair of W3. After offering to buy the loaner pair I am now the proud owner of Westone 3.

I'm using them amped with C&C BH / Colorfly CK4+, silver plated cable, they also sound exceptional straight from Colorfly C3 headphone out.

They don't really get along with Hifiman HM-601 though, to dark, foggy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back