Weller WES51 versus Hakko 936
Oct 11, 2008 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

cobaltmute

Headphoneus Supremus
Any thoughts on these two? I'm figuring its about time to get a decent iron.

I know that the Hakko is well loved around here. My only worry is that availability of Hakko in general in Canada seems to be poor as I've only be able to find it from one place (and I can't find the tips listed anywhere). On the other hand, the Weller and its tips are readily available. The Weller is also cheaper and I can pick it up at a local shop (so no shipping charges)

Oct 11, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #2 of 11
I use the Hakko but have ready access to tips etc. (Frys). Looks like you answered your own question. Weller makes good irons, and many also swear by them. Parts availability can be crucial down the line, so in your shoes, I'd go for the Weller.

Oct 11, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #3 of 11
I am leaning to the Weller, but wanted to hear what had to say about it (if anyone is using it) Availability is something - having to mail order everything would be a pain.

I've seen some recommend the WESD51. The only difference that I can see is the Digital display (which does not seem at all worth the increase in price)

Oct 11, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #5 of 11
The last time I was looking in Active I didn't see any and searching their website results in nothing for Hakko or 936. Active's selection of items has gone downhill over the last number of years and they tend to be pricey.

I pass the area fairly regularily so I'll have to drop in again just to check.

Jul 22, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #7 of 11
2 MAJOR pluses for weller:

- auto turn-off after an idle period (safety!)

- non-burning cord (safety!)

I really do appreciate extra thought into engineering.

the build, well, not all that great. but the hakko isn't super better at this price point, either, really. both quite low end in price category.

quite a few times I've had my iron go near (or even touch) its cord. when I read that feature, that pretty much sold me. they 'get' real world use-cases. they got my business.

if hakko had those 2 things, there would be little reason to GO with weller, imho.

Jul 22, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by cobaltmute /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am leaning to the Weller, but wanted to hear what had to say about it (if anyone is using it) Availability is something - having to mail order everything would be a pain.

I've seen some recommend the WESD51. The only difference that I can see is the Digital display (which does not seem at all worth the increase in price)

I have the digital. I like it. it was not all that much more, I don't recall. got mine on amazon and it was price compet enough with the hakko that I went with this.

I have read about DOAs on weller. I don't think their qual is like it was 20 yrs ago. but mine powered on and has worked for half a year, now (mine's still pretty new).

Jul 22, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #9 of 11
Darn, seems as if active tech promotion on the wes51 is over, was 119.97, and all the 936s are out of stock, has anyone heard of Tooltronic? They also seem to have the 936 in the GTA

NVM im going to parts connexion cheapest atm for a 936 in GTA afaik, 89.95 usd with 20% off

Jul 22, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #10 of 11
I just got my Hakko a few weeks ago and I'm in love. Even with the standard tip the smd parts on the bantam were a piece of cake. It feels like a well built piece of kit, certainly better than the 15 year olds wellers we use at school. It takes no time at all to heat up and comes with a pretty sturdy stand.
I very nearly went with the aoyue clone of the Hakko, but I'm really glad I didn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back