Well, I'm screwed. But what did I do wrong?
Nov 18, 2010 at 6:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

clarinetman

500+ Head-Fier
Just now I opened up my M-Stage to do some chip rolling, as I just purchased new chips to do this with. I decided to try out one of the mono channel ones, the TL071, figuring that even though I didn't have the adapter, I could still listen from one channel. Wrong. I took my FAVORITE headphones, my SM3, and plugged them into the amp with music playing. I heard nothing but some crackling. Just as I looked to see if the volume was up on the software, I felt my ears getting warm. Very warm. Not even stopping to think anything was wrong, I played around with the amp wondering what the issue was for another half a minute, when my hears started getting HOT. I flipped, turned the amp off, and pulled the earphones out... To my immense joy, when I tried listening to them from my J3, the left channel was practically dead. I don't know if the warranty even covers for this. As you can imagine, I'm PISSED... But I just want to know what it is that I did wrong. I figure I put the chip in right, since it wasn't smoking or anything, nor was the amp particularly hot. Just my headphones. Does it have something to do with the fact that the chips are JFET?

Nov 18, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #2 of 12
Who the hell knows; delete this thread immediately and send your SM3 in for warranty repair, they are obviously defective. And don't do whatever you did ever again.

Nov 18, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #3 of 12

Quote:
Who the hell knows; delete this thread immediately and send your SM3 in for warranty repair, they are obviously defective. And don't do whatever you did ever again.

That's a good idea... Still want to know though.

You make it sound like I did something wrong by posting this. Hopefully not.

Nov 18, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #6 of 12
The first question is why would you put in a mono opamp when it's supposed to be dual. It does seem like you fried your drivers from too much current from the amp you connected them with.

Nov 18, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
The first question is why would you put in a mono opamp when it's supposed to be dual. It does seem like you fried your drivers from too much current from the amp you connected them with.

Because I'm an idiot, clearly. I guess I figured I would still be able to listen to it on some level, if just from one channel, or something. This was a stupid thread to post, I agree with grokit. Obviously I destroyed the drivers.

Mods, feel free to delete this mindless rant.

Nov 18, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
Quote:

Quoted for dishonesty.

That's quite the sense of humor you have there, dcpoor 
tongue.gif

Nov 18, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:

rofl.

Yeah, follow this advice. Best advice given.

No sarcasm at all, by the way.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 18, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #10 of 12
Sounds like you had a run-in with DC offset.

I won't delete this thread. You get to be a negative example. :) If anything, maybe some others can learn why it's not a good idea to start changing things around without considering the consequences. It would be wise to ask in the DIY Forum before doing something like this.

Nov 18, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #11 of 12
That is absolutely dreadful

Nov 20, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #12 of 12

Quote:

Oh, man. That's funny. I lol'd and woke up my girlfriend. 
tongue_smile.gif

Sucks for the OP though. Killing $400 headphones would be quite a traumatic experience, I imagine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back