Weight lifting/Strength/power grip/Personal training fi...
Oct 25, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #61 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevie B /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I could always use extra grip strength since that seems to bottleneck the deadlift once you start getting into higher weight. I'm gonna try pinch gripping this week!

If time is a constraint you can use all 4 fingers plus thumb. I can thumb/pinky static grip a 10lb plate for a minute or so.. Squeeze the weight as hard as you can for the duration of the lift.. The link I listed can be helpful to you too.. Plus there is youtube & gripboard.com

You will also notice better gains when doing heavy shrugs, pull ups, & other back exercises.. Hand strength develops rather quickly..

Oct 25, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #62 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just make sure the 45lb plate lying flat.. You pinch the inner ring part.. I have a IE, he seems to be using 4 fingers, but you get the idea.. Still very tough..

Since most "normal" plates have the lip it's actually a good idea to work on two, 25-lb plates turned "in"...so the flat part of each plate is facing out. It stretches your hand a bit and you're also trying to stabilize the two plates. If you're not quite there yet start with two, 10-lb plates and so on.

Oct 26, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #63 of 76
Quote:

250 20 times is impressive. I could do 36 reps with 225 and my max was 450. Try the gripper.. Your deadlifts will improve cause your grip is the weaklest link, even with straps. Albeit, deadlifting does increase grip strength to some degree, just not enough. The shrug idea isn't bad, but pinch gripping would be more effective, as you can train which ever fingers you like and takes finger dexterity and cordination depending on what you are pinching.. Some do lifts with pinch gripping. I prefer to hold the weight, to gain static strength. If you can pinch grip a 45lb plate with your thumb and index finger You have excellent hand strength.

He meant 20 times through the 5 sets though (less than 5 reps per set).

Oct 26, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #64 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by jfindon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He meant 20 times through the 5 sets though (less than 5 reps per set).

Correct, 4 reps per set. My goal is overall mass and size increase not muscle endurance or definition (hence powerlifting not bodybuilding). 250lbs for 20 reps straight would be incredibly impressive since thats about an average # of reps at the NFL Combine (even though some of those beasts can get into the 30-40 range but they also weight 300+). I also increase every lift (2 upperbody per week) by 5lbs until I stall, then I drop about 5-10lbs and work my way back up until I stall again. Tomorrow I hit 255lbs, hopefully I don't stall! Koolbubbaice-did you ever play football because 450 at 19 is NFL type strength!

Oct 26, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #65 of 76
Quote:

Correct, 4 reps per set. My goal is overall mass and size increase not muscle endurance or definition (hence powerlifting not bodybuilding). 250lbs for 20 reps straight would be incredibly impressive since thats about an average # of reps at the NFL Combine (even though some of those beasts can get into the 30-40 range but they also weight 300+). I also increase every lift (2 upperbody per week) by 5lbs until I stall, then I drop about 5-10lbs and work my way back up until I stall again. Tomorrow I hit 255lbs, hopefully I don't stall! Koolbubbaice-did you ever play football because 450 at 19 is NFL type strength!

No.. I just started training as a freshman with a goal of 400 before I graduated. I benched 415 before I graduated in 91.. I'm more impressed with my 375lb behind the neck press, free weight, then my 450 bench.. A few yrs after I graduated I was at the gym, & this guy was talking about someone who was benching like '500' at my high school.. I assumed that was me he was talking about, unless someone got very strong two yrs after I graduated. Maybe I'm benching '600' now.. Funny, how stories get 'bigger', with hear say & inaccurate information..

Oct 26, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #66 of 76
Koolbubbaice:
Yeah, 450lbs is impressive but 375lbs behind the neck press is just insane! Hopefully I'll hit your numbers in 4-5 years! There is nothing you can do but let the legend grow, just think about it as a form of flattery...lol!

Oct 26, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #67 of 76
Quote:

Koolbubbaice:
Yeah, 450lbs is impressive but 375lbs behind the neck press is just insane! Hopefully I'll hit your numbers in 4-5 years! There is nothing you can do but let the legend grow, just think about it as a form of flattery...lol!

Yeah. I was a minor celebrity.. People knew who I was, but many didn't know my name.. I just remember this guy in class, who would literally pound on my chest cause it was so hard, & say some cray stuff.. A bit much IMO..

Oct 26, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #68 of 76
The behind the neck press was easily my favorite exercise.. Doing 205 for 30 plus reps even amazed myself.. Not to sound like a braggart, but I started out doing 35lbs for 10 reps at 15, with this all in one weight set called, Body by AJ..

Oct 26, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #69 of 76
wow, there are some damn strong people on these boards. I love it!

I hope to one day have a bench as high as you guys. I just came back from a back workout. I went up to my usual 405 1RM, tried to go for 410 but failed miserably...lol. But that was after the 405 already. Next time I will go for 410 right away and I think I should be able to do it.

I'm cutting so with 30grams of carbs a day, I'm starting to a feel a little less energized but trying to continue at least hitting close to my maxes to keep most of my muscle.

Nov 6, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #71 of 76
One of my close friends cut down to 3.5% body fat in one month!
eek.gif
He was Bruce Lee for Halloween.
tongue.gif

When I asked him about how he did it, he told me he did NO cardio (!!) and just cracked down on his carb intake (no sugars, no baked goods). And here I am, sucker that I am, at 9.5% with a 2:1 carb-to-protein ratio. I gotta consider trying some of these cutting, Atkins-ish cycles..

Actually, I've already started (slowly). It's very tiring, but easier for me now that midterms are over.

Nov 6, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #72 of 76
Avid weightlifter here...mostly for bodybuilding but there is a certain rush from lifting heavy weights
smile.gif

I'm at 5'10" 165 lb. Repping range for bench press, squat, and deadlift are all around 205-225 lb. I'm focusing on getting the squats and deadlifts up much higher.

Nov 7, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #73 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of my close friends cut down to 3.5% body fat in one month!
eek.gif
He was Bruce Lee for Halloween.
tongue.gif

When I asked him about how he did it, he told me he did NO cardio (!!) and just cracked down on his carb intake (no sugars, no baked goods). And here I am, sucker that I am, at 9.5% with a 2:1 carb-to-protein ratio. I gotta consider trying some of these cutting, Atkins-ish cycles..

Actually, I've already started (slowly). It's very tiring, but easier for me now that midterms are over.

It works but be ready to lose some power. When I go low carb all my lifts go down a bit.

Nov 7, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #74 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Industrial /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It works but be ready to lose some power. When I go low carb all my lifts go down a bit.

Carbs are not the devil like many believe.. Ask any non biased nutritionist.. They are the foundation of a healthy diet.. The bad carbs are the carbs with no nutrient value like soda & sweets.. The Akins diet is BS.. Complex carbs.. Carbs hold a lot of water, when you reduced carbs quickly you lose a lot of weight on a scale, but the key is your lean muscle mass to fat ratio..
I'm pretty stoked.. Finally got 15inch forearms, cold.. Non flexed.. & did 96 reps with the HG150.. My goal for the yr is to close the HG300..

Nov 7, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #75 of 76
Quote:

Carbs are not the devil like many believe.. Ask any non biased nutritionist.. They are the foundation of a healthy diet.. The bad carbs are the carbs with no nutrient value like soda & sweets...

And those are the ones I cut out now. If i notice pants getting too snug, less beers on the weekends then pants comfy again
wink.gif

If I go too low on good carbs the day before squat day, 315 is impossible for me. The day after having a good meal that is easy for a few reps
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back