Wedding attire question from the unrefined
Nov 27, 2006 at 3:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ls20

1000+ Head-Fier
I'll be attending a wedding soon. Im in the family, and I know I dont need a tux because im neither the father nor best man.

My suit is black with very faint chocolate/brown stripes. Is this an appropriate color/pattern to wear, or should I go with solid? And if solid - black or navy? The to-be-wedded party has no set dress codes.

Thanks!

Nov 27, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #2 of 7
EVERYTHING depends on the time of day of the wedding, and the type of reception. I'll go from there assuming its a winter wedding, since you said "soon" (IIRC)

If it is an evening (past 5pm) wedding, and there is to be dinner served at the reception, a black suit would be preferred (almost required). No one would look at you funny for wearing one with stripes, but it is technically not "correct." A black suit with a conservatively colored shirt and tie (white shirts are "out," but not incorrect) is the best attire.

An afternoon wedding, there are almost no rules on the suit. Have a field day.

(I'm planning a wedding right now (my sister's), so all these rules are fresh)

Nov 27, 2006 at 3:48 AM Post #3 of 7
It is easier for the guy... you should be just fine with said suit... just make sure to press it and polish your shoes
wink.gif

Nov 27, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #5 of 7
I agree with all the posts in this thread so far, though given you're in the family, you may be in a few more wedding photos than the average guest, and Scotty's advice about a black suit being preferred is good advice.

Honestly, don't stress the suit too much - if you think your black suit with stripes is fine (and it probably is), just wear it and focus on being supportive of the bride and groom.

I've worn charcoal suits, tuxes and black suits to weddings... it does depend entirely on the wedding and largely on your role and what you'd feel comfortable in. As a member of the groom's family, but not the best man or father, I'd feel best in a black suit, and okay in a nice black suit with stripes as you describe.

Best,

-Jason

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty757 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EVERYTHING depends on the time of day of the wedding, and the type of reception. I'll go from there assuming its a winter wedding, since you said "soon" (IIRC)

If it is an evening (past 5pm) wedding, and there is to be dinner served at the reception, a black suit would be preferred (almost required). No one would look at you funny for wearing one with stripes, but it is technically not "correct." A black suit with a conservatively colored shirt and tie (white shirts are "out," but not incorrect) is the best attire.

An afternoon wedding, there are almost no rules on the suit. Have a field day.

(I'm planning a wedding right now (my sister's), so all these rules are fresh)

Nov 27, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #6 of 7
You should be fine. Depending on the wedding I've worn everything from a tux to a sweater and slacks.

Honestly, I think that stressing over these things is pretty pointless, just wear what you are comfortable wearing. Make it respectfully nice, but I wouldn't sweat the details. Two to one no one will really notice what you are wearing unless it is extremely out of the norm... When you get right down to it, it's all meaningless posturing anyway.

Nov 27, 2006 at 5:14 AM Post #7 of 7
That suit is fine. If you don't have a stylish tie from within the past year or so, pick one up. The tie can make or break the entire look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back