Weak Bass on Alessandro MS-1(i)?
Nov 3, 2009 at 9:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

yeahman68

Head-Fier
Upon listening to them when they arrived yesterday, I was absolutely flustered how prudent they are with bass. Drums could barely be felt, and sounded flat. Someone tell that they bass will get better with break-in because I can't really settle for something like that. They have about 45 minutes of use on them, maybe even less.

Nov 3, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #2 of 16
They open up low-end wise with some use. I think the changes (perceived or otherwise) are a result, in part, of actual burn-in characteristics as well as simply getting used to the new sound. Mine have about 30-40 hours on them now and it seems to me that the low end is now significantly more present when thinking back to when I first got them - and will perhaps further develop with use.

Nov 3, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #3 of 16
Not sure what you were expecting from the MS-1. They're open and not known for their bass to begin with. An amp will give you more detailed and present bass but I think you would have to eq them to hell to get any bass impact from them.

Nov 3, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #4 of 16
I find that they have plenty of bass for rock (which they fare best with). Perhaps this is a matter of source. Are you using an amp and reasonable quality (320 kbps or greater) audio files? That said, they should warm up a bit over the next 100 hours of burn-in or whatever it is that occurs to cause the change in perceived sound.

Nov 3, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #5 of 16
If the bass after the burn in doesnt satisfy you then you could tape the bowls to increase the bass.

Nov 3, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #6 of 16
I agree with the others, they should have more than ample bass. What source and amp are you using? And what headphones are you coming from (if any)? It sounds like they just need to break in a little and maybe you need to adjust yourself to them more. Or maybe you're just a bass head.
darthsmile.gif
(edit: not that there's anything wrong with that
smile.gif
)

Nov 3, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #7 of 16
I haven't yet received the cowon s9 which will be my source. So, currently it's been my computer, and the files were wav. I'm coming from denon ah-c551k's (in ear). I remember the bass on those to be much more satisfying. It just worried me because I thought these were supposed to be amazing, and everything is except the lower-end.

Nov 3, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #8 of 16
The C551k's bass is considered by many here overly heavy and boomy, perhaps the Grado sound just isn't for you.

Nov 4, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #10 of 16
I would leave them un-eq'd for now. You should just try to get used to their sound, and after a couple of weeks decide whether or not you like them. When I first got my SR80i I thought it sounded anemic, but now I think it has more than enough bass. Of course the Little Dot I+ helped a lot too
atsmile.gif

Nov 4, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #11 of 16
I have the MS1/S9 combo and you could definitely EQ it... there are multiple ways to get extra bass out of the S9 (presets, Mach3Bass, user-defined EQ) if you want it to be really thumpy.

Nov 4, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by | Scorpio | /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would leave them un-eq'd for now. You should just try to get used to their sound, and after a couple of weeks decide whether or not you like them. When I first got my SR80i I thought it sounded anemic, but now I think it has more than enough bass. Of course the Little Dot I+ helped a lot too
atsmile.gif

I totally agree. I know it's hard to believe because you've already "heard" them, so you think "that's it, that's how they sound," but 45 minutes isn't nearly enough to really adjust to them (or for them to break in, if you believe in break in). Give them at least a week of solid listening, or even better 2 weeks. If you still don't like them at that time, they're probably just not for you. But I think after some listening the bass will fill out for you.

Nov 4, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #13 of 16
My MS-1i's are pretty bassy ... I use to listen to the RX700 nonstop which has quite a bit of bass, and went to the MS-1i, which didn't have much less. It had less, but not much less.

I find the bass more than sufficient, never wanting anymore. I can't understand where the comments about no bass sometimes come from?

Especially unamped, the bass was so muddy and present (giving it that teenage car audio sound), it sounded like it had more than my RX700's.

Nov 4, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #14 of 16
Just have to drum in and say that what one thinks is sufficient is not what others may think. ie, I think the k701 has great bass. This happens too many times on Head Fi.

EQ for all headphones. Too bassy? No bass? You can reduce most 'flaws'.

Nov 4, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #15 of 16
Thanks for all the help guys. Yeah, I just got em yesterday so I guess I'm making a pretty fast judgement. So, using the s9's bass EQ, do you think I could still get the excellent mids/highs from the ms1 without shadowing them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back