Way to check Bluetooth Version of connected device?
Jan 31, 2019 at 11:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

turbobb

500+ Head-Fier
Did a search but didn't find a similar topic. While not necessarily science, I felt this was the best forum to pose this question to SME's. Wondering if anyone knows of a way to find out the Bluetooth (or LMP) Version of the __connected__ device (be it head/earphone) on Win10 or Mac? I'm aware of Mac's BT debug capabilities but thus far have not seen a way of checking the BT version. On Win10, there's an app that shows you the LMP of the BT module on the Win10 machine but not of the devices connected to it.

Would appreciate any tips/pointers on this. I do have access to Rasberry Pi but not as good with Linux but am open to suggestions if that will do the trick. Context is I want to verify manufacturer claims of what BT version is being utilized for a specific head/earphone.

TIA!,
Tim

Feb 2, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #4 of 4
the BT codec used will always be one compatible for both source and receiver. if one can't handle a setting, another setting will automatically be used(one that both devices can understand). so if you use a source with all the latest bells and whistles, you can simply set an output and if the source switched to something other than what you asked for, it tells you that the receiver can't handle it. so being able to track what the source is doing is indirectly helping you know what the receiver is doing.
it's not perfect because sometimes the BT setting will revert to lower quality simply because of a lower signal strength(distance or obstacle), but if you keep the devices close to each other that shouldn't happen much while testing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back