Water in W3 :(
May 14, 2010 at 6:44 AM Post #2 of 4
By softer, I assume you mean volume, which is normal when equipment falls in water. Right now, your best option is to fill a small plastic bag or bowl with uncooked rice, make sure the earphone still has a filter on it so nothing can damage the driver, and put the IEMs in the bag (cover completely with rice, don't just lay it on top of the rice). Leave the IEMs for a minimum of 48 hours, but longer is even better. Don't touch them during this time, and the rice will draw the water out of the earphones (hopefully). Important thing is to not use them right now...good luck, hope it works out for you! 

For what it's worth, I've done this with my phone and it works perfectly now...

May 14, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
By softer, I assume you mean volume, which is normal when equipment falls in water. Right now, your best option is to fill a small plastic bag or bowl with uncooked rice, make sure the earphone still has a filter on it so nothing can damage the driver, and put the IEMs in the bag (cover completely with rice, don't just lay it on top of the rice). Leave the IEMs for a minimum of 48 hours, but longer is even better. Don't touch them during this time, and the rice will draw the water out of the earphones (hopefully). Important thing is to not use them right now...good luck, hope it works out for you! 

For what it's worth, I've done this with my phone and it works perfectly now...

Great idea. I remember that in some very humid places they put raw rice inside salt shakers as well.

The W3 will work just like before. All you need is to give them 48-72 hours. The rice idea is good just be very careful nothing gets inside the nozzle.

You could also invest in the MONITOR SAVER (it's less than $10) and we recommend that for runners or if you workout and sweat a lot or if you live by the coast (or any other humid place). You basically just leave the earpieces inside the canister overnight and the silica beads will pull the moisture from inside the components. Same principle as the rice but without the risk of having debris falling inside the nozzle. 

Good luck!

May 14, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #4 of 4

Quote:

Great idea. I remember that in some very humid places they put raw rice inside salt shakers as well.

The W3 will work just like before. All you need is to give them 48-72 hours. The rice idea is good just be very careful nothing gets inside the nozzle.

You could also invest in the MONITOR SAVER (it's less than $10) and we recommend that for runners or if you workout and sweat a lot or if you live by the coast (or any other humid place). You basically just leave the earpieces inside the canister overnight and the silica beads will pull the moisture from inside the components. Same principle as the rice but without the risk of having debris falling inside the nozzle. 

Good luck!

Ha, it's funny that you mention that, I use drying crystals in my lab all the time to dry mica plates...I should ask my professor if I can take some, we have several jars of the stuff in storage...(though they have to be heated up first...yeah, that'll damage the IEMs...nevermind)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back