Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Nov 5, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #5,283 of 14,288

Quote:
How important is warranty for watches? I tend to buy headphones without warranty since I treat my stuff really well and one year seems like an admission that the product can't even last a year.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-Citizen-Canvas-Mens-Eco-Drive-SS-BM8180-03E-Watch-/140474194595?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item20b4ea1aa3#ht_2507wt_1139
Is that a bit sus? $67 is about $15 lower than amazon; I have no idea what price is the benchmark.`

I don't have experience of the seller but their feedback looks very good. A lot of people who sell watches on ebay around this price point by wearhouse stock or NOS stock. I don't think that particular citizen is in the current line up any more hence the cheaper price I guess.

I would not worry about warranty, Citizen service is a legend and they are normally very helpful if anything goes wrong. Having said that I have not had any problems with Citizen watches and have owned various models for over twenty years!

I think for the price you are getting an excellent watch that will last you years as long as you are not crazy with your stuff!

Nov 5, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #5,284 of 14,288

Quote:
How important is warranty for watches?...

A warranty on a watch, for me. has never been a big deal. Most watches, if kept well will far outlast their warranty. I have a Pulsar from 2000 that is still running strong and is well past its warranty. In fact, I don't think any of my watches (all purchased/acquired between 2000 - 2010) have any valid warranty left on them. And that's quite alright with me because every single one of them keeps working. If there is a problem with your watch, you are likely going to find it in a year or two which is why that tends to be the typical warranty offered.

Nov 5, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #5,285 of 14,288

Quote:
Got a call from our guy today....  Total for new genuine Rolex crystal was $165.00 which included the labor to install.

Quote:
Wow ! I'm quite surprised. That's a very good price.

Yes, that is a very good price. Make sure that water (seal) testing is included in that.
My friend just had his Date Just replaced a month ago at Tourneau and it cost him $300, but that was for an entire cleaning and checkup (which I assume they are going to do if they are going to crack her open. He bought his Date Just in '91 and it did not have a Sapphire Crystal (I don't think they had Sapphire yet, or at least not on that model) and it was scratched to (well, you know where).
He wears his watch facing inward on his wrist and crashes into every doorknob, table, and manhole cover that he can find 
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 5, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #5,286 of 14,288

Quote:
     Quote:

Yes, that is a very good price. Make sure that water (seal) testing is included in that.
My friend just had his Date Just serviced a month ago at Tourneau and it cost him $300, but that was for an entire cleaning and checkup (which I assume they are going to do if they are going to crack her open. He bought his Date Just in '91 and it did not have a Sapphire Crystal (I don't think they had Sapphire yet, or at least not on that model) and it was scratched to (well, you know where).
He wears his watch facing inward on his wrist and crashes into every doorknob, table, and manhole cover that he can find 
evil_smiley.gif

Was his watch sent to Rolex Service (via Tourneau), or simply serviced by Tourneau? It's best to send it to Rolex. They will replace the rotor-jewel and it's unlikely that Tourneau would do so. It's a common POF on Rolex automatics (their modern watches).

Nov 6, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #5,288 of 14,288
According to this the band width is 18mm for your watch so the black strap would be too big!
http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-BM8180-03E-Eco-Drive-Canvas-Strap/dp/B000EQS1JW

The other one is a NATO, they are comfortable but get dirty quickly in my experience so need to be washed frequently and yes, the do indeed go under the watch back! I actually liked the canvas strap that comes with the watch. If I were going to replace it I would get a nice leather one in either black or tan, it really makes the dial pop out!
Quote:

This looks amazing, I'd buy it if it fit the citizen watch. 20mm....

http://www.natostrap.com/Home/NatoStraps.html#7
Does that strap go behind the watch and make the metal not touch your skin, because I prefer the metal.

Nov 6, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #5,289 of 14,288

Quote:
Was his watch sent to Rolex Service (via Tourneau), or simply serviced by Tourneau? It's best to send it to Rolex. They will replace the rotor-jewel and it's unlikely that Tourneau would do so. It's a common POF on Rolex automatics (their modern watches).

It was sent out Rolex service. It took 3 weeks to get it back.

Nov 14, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #5,292 of 14,288
Here's a few of mine, two others are having work done. The Seiko 5 is a friend's.

I actually carry the pocket watch about once a week or so, but I usually wear the Seiko. The Rado is unlikely to be warn by anyone anytime soon, and a new crystal was quoted at $300.
eek.gif

Nov 15, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #5,294 of 14,288
What's with the IIII marking 4? Shouldn't it be IV?

Nov 15, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #5,295 of 14,288

Quote:
What's with the IIII marking 4? Shouldn't it be IV?

Not sure why they do it, but I've seen markings like that on pictures of some models of Cartier, Rolex and Patek Phillipe watches so as far as I can tell, it seems to be a common design trait in many higher end watches. Never seen it like that on lower end watches though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back