Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Feb 1, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #4,486 of 14,295
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Longines Lindbergh's Atlantic Voyage Watch

I really like this watch - I like the classic Longines watches which are similar to this, but hated the fact that they cut some of the numbers in half (e.g., the 6 at the bottom) which looked tacky and unprofessional. This one is definitely my style:

longines-lindberghs-atlantic-voyage-watch.jpg

I found a shop here in Hong Kong that carried the watch. First impression, feckin huge! Too big for my wrist and dwarfs my Speedmaster Pro. The font and the dial are very nice and I guess the size of the watch makes the seconds numerals less of an issue. One other thing I did not like was that while the dial is set in a good crisp font, the tachymetre is laid on a (faux) ivory/plastic ring that makes its font look soft. I would have preferred it to be as crisp as the rest of the watch.

The watch back is plain with a simple logo engraved in the metal and it opens to reveal the rear sapphire window and a nice engraved inscription on the inside back plate. The innards are not very interesting to look at and are a bit plain so the rear glass is a bit unnecessary though it seems to be expected with any recent luxury watch these days.

The movement runs nice and I do like that the tachymetre extends past 60 down to 55, it's a nice way to use up the space between the standard 60 and 500 marks. And the font and style of the dial and hands are very classy.

All in all it is a nice watch, worth checking out at least, but the price is way too high in my opinion. They had it listed at $40,000 HKD, around $5,125 USD.

Feb 1, 2010 at 4:13 AM Post #4,487 of 14,295
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found a shop here in Hong Kong that carried the watch. First impression, feckin huge! Too big for my wrist and dwarfs my Speedmaster Pro. The font and the dial are very nice and I guess the size of the watch makes the seconds numerals less of an issue. One other thing I did not like was that while the dial is set in a good crisp font, the tachymetre is laid on a (faux) ivory/plastic ring that makes its font look soft. I would have preferred it to be as crisp as the rest of the watch.

That thing is 47.5mm. Ouch! That's a hard size for a non-diver to pull off. Hard size for a diver, truth be told.

Feb 1, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #4,488 of 14,295
Quote:

Originally Posted by woof37 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That thing is 47.5mm. Ouch! That's a hard size for a non-diver to pull off. Hard size for a diver, truth be told.

Good lord, that is big. Since it is supposed to be a reproduction of an aviation watch gifted to Lindberg, it would not surprise me if the watch was designed to be worn on the sleeve of his aviation jacket as opposed to his wrist.

Feb 1, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #4,490 of 14,295
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffreyj900 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine is going on 18 years. Not sure I will ever buy another watch. However, this thread is NOT helping
icon10.gif
I originally paid like $2,200.00 for it in 1992.

Nice...congrats!!

Feb 2, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #4,491 of 14,295
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickyboyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
perfect for when the fad of oversize watches and bling dies down.

Sorry, big watches aren't a fad. People are only getting bigger, so there will always be a demand for big watches.

Feb 2, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #4,493 of 14,295
When I saw the Nixon sized watches for the first time, I thought I had never seen larger watches in my life. They look cool...and the size makes them quite functional.

Feb 2, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #4,499 of 14,295
Not fair, way to rub it in my face, I would've sprung for it, but the Monster was just calling for me...I like the fact that it has a much cleaner Sinn styled dial. Sure, not nuclear lume anymore, but I think it looks pretty sexy
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back