Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Jan 20, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #4,381 of 14,299
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And my God... no offense, but a 28k Swiss Army 7750 based watch? Why not get a nice AP Royal Oak (or two)?

I think he said he paid roughly $1k for it. No AP for him XD

Jan 20, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #4,382 of 14,299
Quote:

Originally Posted by LordofDoom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think he said he paid roughly $1k for it. No AP for him XD

i guess you are psychic or something. i paid exactly 1 grand plus tax. that thing was never going to sell for 28 grand. give me a break. i did hear people bought them for $4,000 though. that was pretty dumb as well. i think their regular production autos are like $550? the thing about this is it is the best 7750 job i have ever seen. which is really strange considering the maker. i guess that was why they tagged it 28k. then when they realised no one was going to buy a sa for that price... off to the outlet stores lol! i don't consider it one heck of a bargain because at best that watches real value when new was maybe $1,500. you can stick any price on anything. that does not mean you will sell it!

btw, i do not like the royal oak at all. it is too big and chunky for me. plus i kind of lost faith in them partnering with jay-z. i think he is cool and all but what does he really know about horology? maybe i am wrong, he could be a master watchmaker but i doubt it honestly.

music_man

Jan 20, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #4,383 of 14,299
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif

btw, i do not like the royal oak at all. it is too big and chunky for me. plus i kind of lost faith in them partnering with jay-z. i think he is cool and all but what does he really know about horology? maybe i am wrong, he could be a master watchmaker but i doubt it honestly.

music_man

The only mastery that Shawn Carter has is in freemasonry, being a 33rd degree grand master mason.

I think Audemars made a massive mistake teaming up with that ****.

Jan 20, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #4,384 of 14,299
Quote:

Originally Posted by Persian.prince /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only mastery that Shawn Carter has is in freemasonry, being a 33rd degree grand master mason.

I think Audemars made a massive mistake teaming up with that ****.

Jay-Z is one of the most successful entertainers today. I don't find anything strange about a high end watch brand partnering with him. If he's a master of anything, it's luxury items.

I think the Jay-Z ROO is pretty nice. In fact, it's really the only men's watch with diamonds I like.

Jan 20, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #4,385 of 14,299
I love my watches too.
Tag Heurer Link Chronograph
Omega Seamaster Quartz.

Like to get Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean...orange leather strap.
Nixon Chronograph
Rolex Submariner
Breittling of some type.
Tissot of some type.

Jan 21, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #4,386 of 14,299
i don't think there is anything wrong with him. i would like any of the highest luxury items to be devoid of being linked to any person. unless they were an "homage" to someone that was truely great like albert einstein for instance. still, being an homage, not a marketing campaign! shawn carter may be one of the biggest record sellers but has he done anything truely great for mankind? besides make a lot of money for himself and then spend it? he is a fine rapper, don't get me wrong. i just don't see what he brings to top level horology.

i just feel the utmost luxury items should be above marketing ploys. did they really need an association with -anyone- to help their image?

it dosen't even matter to me. i don't like the way they look. at the top level of anything there are choices. a patek is much more my style. i don't see the ap as "bling" though. maybe the jay-z model is filled with diamonds? i have never seen it.

music_man

Jan 21, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #4,388 of 14,299
there is also a danica patrick tissot. see this is ok with me, tissot does not make six figure watches. or even close to that. i really don't care if someone endorses my ipod or whatever. whenever something is ultra exclusive it should be "yours" and yours alone! sure other people will own one but it should not have/need someone to market it imo. to me that tarnishes the image of something that is supposed to be very exclusive. i have a bunch of swatches because i think they are cute. lots of folks endorse them but they are an inexpensive watch.

tissot is probably the least expensive very good quality watch though(on discount). in that respect they have done a good thing. at that level i don't see it as a big deal.

if a famous pilot endorsed a breitling that would be ok with me. likewise if an astronuat endorsed a fortis. i mean like the wright bros. and neil armsrong respectively. more of what i was saying about a "homage". jay-z as cool as he may be is just a modern performer. he has yet to make any great contribution to humanity. if he were to be with tissot on the other hand that would probably be ok with me. it is good but it is a high volume department store item. i don't mean to insult your watch either. as i said it is a very good inexpensive watch maybe the best at it's price point.

i would not want donald trump endorsing rolls royce or anyone for that matter! these type of items speak for themsleves and do not require a spokesperson imo!

music_man

Jan 21, 2010 at 8:04 AM Post #4,391 of 14,299
oops lol. i meant fortis cosmonaut. why the heck did i say oris? duh. i'll go change that right now.

edit:i have this one it always makes me happy when i put it on. it is cool that a high end watch can also be whimsical

music_man

Jan 21, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #4,392 of 14,299
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about Chinese Tourbillon?

Had one for a year; sold it because the novelty wore off.
IMG_0833.jpg

IMG_0843.jpg

IMG_0850.jpg

Jan 21, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #4,393 of 14,299
you know what? i'd be hard pressed to choose between basic junk for $60 at walmart or the real thing for $100k! unless you were pulling money out of your nose, think of how many other things you could buy. i mean up to $10,000 per watch is maybe questionable to some, but probably justified to us in this thread. to buy a $100k watch, man. i don't think you have to feel bad or embarrassed that you got a chinese one either!

actually, the fact that it even works at all is a lot more amazing than the fact that some person wears a $100k watch! really.

music_man

Jan 22, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #4,394 of 14,299
here, this is probably a little better than the chinese one: Patek Philippe Sky Moon Tourbillon (5002J / YG)

haha.

edit: you guys got me thinking.... so i went over to walmart, where many no-name chinese automatics can be found. what did they have? well, the ones they had were not dst or gmt just pos
wink.gif
there are "ok" chinese automatics but they are not to be found at walmart i guess. on the other hand for a couple hundred you can get a seiko which is a high quality watch for the money. much more so then what walmart has for $50. of course if you must have a skeleton or complications over quality then one of the better chinese automatics is probably in order. the watch i saw was just good enough to last untill you take it home lol.

edit2: i forgot to mention the armitrons are actually "ok" but they are like $100-$125. he $50 no names i would pass.

music_man

Jan 22, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #4,395 of 14,299
^Unless it is made out of platinum/embedded with gemstones and works on the sun is a watch worth $100K?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back