Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Jan 19, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #4,366 of 14,288
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i agree with that. the thing is everyone knows rolex. much fewer people know zenith. less still know what an el primero is.

do you guys think modified 7750's are trash? so many people hate it but i think some companies work it into a nice movement. there are $25,000+ watches that have used that base. so i don't really know what to think anymore. i'd rather have a column wheel but i think the 7750 is way over bashed. i don't mean the stock one though. i mean after companies have added more jewels and a lot of other stuff. the stock one is like the timex of automatics but that is what eta actually intended. modified right is a whole different ballgame imo.

what do you guys think about this?

music_man

I don't think that the 7750's are trash, I think that there a good work horse movement that has proved itself over the years.

Putting them in $20.000 watches I think is a different ball game all together no matter how much work is done to it. IMHO when your in that price band it has to be in house all the way.

Jan 19, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #4,370 of 14,288
I've recently gotten into several relative dust ups with people on Watch-U-Seek for complaining about the 7750. It's not that I don't like it, it's a great movement and can be adjusted to meet COSC! Durable, solid movement.

What people mistake is my disgust at so many $2k + watches containing it. I suppose in some situations that's fine, and they often "finish it themselves" but they never make the practical changes that would actually command such a price; a jeweled chronograph hour hand (it is metal on metal) or other actual improvements... I suppose the Column Wheel re-design that Hublot has is nice, but it's still using the same base and at $20k I'd rather have a hand winding 1861 variant inside. Breitling has such a wonderful history of chronographs and their new B01 might be great, but everything else has a 7750 variant inside! I really hope they eventually move away from it eventually.

Great movement, yes, but within reason.

Jan 20, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #4,371 of 14,288
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what panerai has a 7750? i never knew that. it hought they have a unitas. the replicas have chinese 7750's.

music_man

You are referring to two different movements here. Unitas is a "brand" of movement that is best known for its simple, handwinding movement with a sub seconds hand: the "6497." Panerai uses the 6497 plenty. The "7750" is the numerical designation for a chronograph movement distributed by the "brand" Valjoux. The umbrella group that runs the show for both is ETA and the house where the umbrella stays dry is Swatch.

The 7750 in various degrees of modification and fancification is found in a lot of watches, Panerai chronos, Hublot chronos, IWC chronos, Sinn chronos, and many different, modestly priced three register chronos. A cheap three register chrono might have a "Chinese 7750" in it, which is a copy of the 7750 made in China. The basic distinguishing feature of the 7750 is its "coulisse-lever" design for the chronograph function (stop, start, reset). This is opposed to the other most common chrono design: the column wheel.

I don't feel like going into the differences, but if you do a little research it's not very hard to understand. Check Timezone and you'll learn more than you need to know.

Jan 20, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #4,372 of 14,288
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I saw someone discovered Panerai has unfinished movements too.

This is true. Some of their most collectable "Pre-Vendome" watches have very modestly decorated movements in them.

Jan 20, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #4,373 of 14,288
Latest addition:
IMG_2050.jpg

Guess you can say I like Chronomats (the "simple" 7750 movement hasn't slowed me down)
rolleyes.gif
:
IMG_2049.jpg

Planning on getting a Blue TT submariner soon.

Jan 20, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #4,374 of 14,288
i have a limited edition swiss army. it has a highly modified 7750. it listed for $28k-usd(not a typo). i did not pay even close to that of course. i think what they, of all makers did to that 7750 actually makes the watch rather high end. don't underestimate them. they moved all production of automatics in house some years ago and can make a very high end product. who would have thought,swiss army? what they did with that movement is rather decent.

other companies with much more prestigious names have stuck a much lesser 7750 into $30k+ watches. i don't buy those obviously. which is what attracted me to a watch, that when people see who makes it say "what'd that set you back $500?" lol. actually that is not too far off, but the list price....

music_man

Jan 20, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #4,375 of 14,288
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkurita /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is true. Some of their most collectable "Pre-Vendome" watches have very modestly decorated movements in them.

Hence one of the reasons why I don't really like Panerai. But I never really liked Panerai's look anyway...

Jan 20, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #4,376 of 14,288
I believe ETA/VAL is going to stop shipping movements to companies this year, or something with selling them out right.

Panerai's use a modified ETA/VAL base movement in their new lower cost products but now have a few in house movements. my question is who does the modifications? is the watch movement taken apart and reassembled in house?

paying $5000 for a ETA/Val COSC spec movement to me is just normal, anything with true in house is either Rolex (which is said to be the same quality as COSC ETA/Val) or Zenith, JLC, and higher priced companies on up.

mind you these days most Swiss luxury brands have atleast one in house Movement they use but most of their watches are ETA/Val.

funny thing is when you get into tourbillon movements, i read somewhere that only 3 companies make them yet look how many different Swiss brands sell tourbillon watches at $80.000+

Jan 20, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #4,378 of 14,288
Jan 20, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #4,379 of 14,288
the thing is that most common swiss movements like the 2824, the 2892 and the 7750 are from the 70´s, so patent protection long expired on them, so you have a influx of chinese made clones which are sometimes up to par, and sometimes quite poor, you also have swiss made clones, setilla makes a 2824 clone called the SW200 thats used in alot of ORIS watches, and is quite up to par in quality,

Jan 20, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #4,380 of 14,288
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the thing is that most common swiss movements like the 2824, the 2892 and the 7750 are from the 70´s, so patent protection long expired on them, so you have a influx of chinese made clones which are sometimes up to par, and sometimes quite poor, you also have swiss made clones, setilla makes a 2824 clone called the SW200 thats used in alot of ORIS watches, and is quite up to par in quality,

I've actually heard some bad stuff about the SW200. Apparently it sometimes isn't finished very well, and rough edges are left on parts... occasionally worse than you'd find on a Chinese copy. I was reading a few posts from Oris fans about the "higher value" of identically priced watches with 2824s in them. They were bummed at the time about the change, but maybe things got better since.

And my God... no offense, but a 28k Swiss Army 7750 based watch? Why not get a nice AP Royal Oak (or two)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back