Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Dec 27, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #4,189 of 14,288
I think I should wait until it starts to get inaccurate. I only wear it on weekend, so it spends more than half a year in a box. My daily watch is a quartz seamaster, that one probably needs a service.

Dec 27, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #4,192 of 14,288
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what happens if high end automatics just sit in a drawer for years on end? not being winded or serviced or used?

The oil in them dries up and solidifies. Not good.

Dec 27, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #4,194 of 14,288
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Lol, what?

Dec 27, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #4,195 of 14,288
Quote:

what happens if high end automatics just sit in a drawer for years on end? not being winded or serviced or used?

thanks,
music_man

Quote:

That doesn't sound right.

Dec 27, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #4,196 of 14,288
^^^ To above posters:

All mechanical watches are made up of internal gears and springs that are all made of metal. You can't have metal moving against metal without some oil in their to grease everything up and keep it from seizing and excessively wearing on itself. If you have a mechanical or automatic watch it will have small amounts of oil in the case to keep all the internal components lubricated. If the watch is kept inactive for excessive periods of time, that oil isn't moving because the internal components aren't moving. It will start to gel and thicken and eventually harden causing components to seize up as well so the watch will not work well or at all.

Dec 27, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #4,197 of 14,288
Quote:

thanks,
music_man

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadDog5145 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol, what?

Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In my experience with automatics (owned one or two for over 35 years) one of the worse things you can do is not use it. Thus why they sell self winders, so use them on a regular basis or get a self winder because the lubrication does dry up and accumulates on the bottom. By using you keep the lubricant on the various moving parts.

Dec 27, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #4,198 of 14,288
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadDog5145 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol, what?

Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm not sure what about this commonly known fact is such a surprise to people. Have we all had quartz watches that long, or have many of you never been exposed to a mechanical? This is plain common sense.

Dec 27, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #4,199 of 14,288
Nice watches guys! I have an Oris TT1 and an Archimede Pilot. Did loads of research over at WatchUSeek before buying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back