Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Oct 21, 2009 at 11:19 AM Post #3,901 of 14,288
GETAT is in Hong Kong so you would have to forgive their English.

I ordered one a few weeks ago on a Friday and had it in my hands the following Thursday in the US by EMS. I ordered a Panerai homage and with their 6497 movement, it runs less than 10 seconds fast a day. That's pretty darn good for the cost of the watch and the unknown origin of the movement. The case quality is pretty darn good. Mine is a standard lume model (the superlume came out two days after I received mine) and the only defect is that the color of the lume on the hands does not match the color of the lume on the dial (when it's not glowing). I did go for the brushed case and sapphire crystal.

Miguel also ordered one about the same time I did but I don't recall reading a very detailed post about his watch. Maybe he will chime in.

I'm actually thinking of selling the watch that I have and re-buying with superlume. If someone is interested, let me know by PM and maybe we can work something out. I posted pics a few pages back in the thread.

Oct 21, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #3,902 of 14,288
Gotcha, thanks for the reply.

This one catches my eye, though I wish it had the superlume hands.

b_1240732344703041775.jpg

Still stuck on the Lum-Tec watches though. I can get 6 of these knock-off Getat's for the price of 1 Lum-Tec.
wink.gif
Decisions... decisions...

I need to call Lum-Tec and see if I can get a tour next time I'm in Mentor or see some display models before I decide.

Oct 21, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #3,903 of 14,288
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
GETAT is in Hong Kong so you would have to forgive their English.

I ordered one a few weeks ago on a Friday and had it in my hands the following Thursday in the US by EMS. .

How is the strap length on yours? It looks like holes do not go down far enough on the longer end of the strap for larger wrists? I wear about 7 1/2 - 7 3/4 bracelets on my other watches...

I guess what Im asking is when a Getat watch advertises it's strap as "Strap: 26/26mm brown leather strap" what is the overall length? 26/26 refers to the width of the strap as it meets the case, right?

Oct 21, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #3,904 of 14,288
I just found this site from another watch discussion elsewhere and I wasn't sure if you guys knew of it: Poor Man's Watch Forum www.pmwf.com

Some very cool watches on there for not all that much, but their top 20 lists seem to be dominated by diving watches rather than dress watches. I do find that I am drawn to many of the Russian watches for some reason.

I wonder if there's a Poor Women's Watch Forum - Christmas is coming.

Oct 21, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #3,905 of 14,288
Quote:

Originally Posted by ka-boom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is the strap length on yours? It looks like holes do not go down far enough on the longer end of the strap for larger wrists? I wear about 7 1/2 - 7 3/4 bracelets on my other watches...

I guess what Im asking is when a Getat watch advertises it's strap as "Strap: 26/26mm brown leather strap" what is the overall length? 26/26 refers to the width of the strap as it meets the case, right?

I think that means 26mm at lugs, tapers to 26mm, i.e. it doesn't taper.
ksc75smile.gif

Oct 22, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #3,906 of 14,288
Quote:

Originally Posted by ka-boom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

woof is correct. 26/26 means it's 26mm at the lugs and doesn't taper to the buckle.

The strap that came with the watch fit my 7-3/8" wrist just fine. I think I was in the 2nd or 3rd hole from the end. I'm not a fan of the very thick Panny style band so I switched it out for a 2-piece Zulu as soon as I could order one.

Oct 22, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #3,907 of 14,288
Quote:

Originally Posted by BobMcN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just found this site from another watch discussion elsewhere and I wasn't sure if you guys knew of it: Poor Man's Watch Forum www.pmwf.com

Some very cool watches on there for not all that much, but their top 20 lists seem to be dominated by diving watches rather than dress watches. I do find that I am drawn to many of the Russian watches for some reason.

I wonder if there's a Poor Women's Watch Forum - Christmas is coming.

You should check out Russian watches. They make some nifty models for low dough. The guy that runs this site is a good guy to chat with about your decision, too.

Russian Watches - Vostok-Europe, Aviator, Sturmanskie, Denissov, Moscow Classic & Volmax Mechanical & Automatic Watch

Oct 22, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #3,909 of 14,288
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait, wait, wait, we need a DBT test here.

I have done a strict DBT on properly set watches. Under highly controlled experimental conditions, I have determined that 12:31:03 on an inexpensive Chinese watch is exactly the same as 12:31:03 on a high-end Swiss watch.

Oct 22, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #3,910 of 14,288
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have done a strict DBT on properly set watches. Under highly controlled experimental conditions, I have determined that 12:31:03 on an inexpensive Chinese watch is exactly the same as 12:31:03 on a high-end Swiss watch.

Ahhh, but do they get there at the same time?
ph34r.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #3,911 of 14,288
Some day, I will purchase a brand new authentic Hublot Big Ban.... Some day!!!

though its kinda crazy to think that I have invested half amount of what Big Ban cost into head-fi ....
redface.gif

Oct 26, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #3,912 of 14,288
I'm looking for an automatic chrono, like the Air Boss Mach VI, but with a metal bracelet. Is it possible to replace the leather band with a bracelet, or should I be looking at a different watch? I don't really want a "fashion" type watch. I like the styling of many of the Victorinox/Wenger designs.

airboss.jpg

Oct 26, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #3,913 of 14,288
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for an automatic chrono, like the Air Boss Mach VI, but with a metal bracelet. Is it possible to replace the leather band with a bracelet, or should I be looking at a different watch? I don't really want a "fashion" type watch. I like the styling of many of the Victorinox/Wenger designs.

I was going to tell you to get a 22mm brushed Watchadoo bracelet but that band is listed as 23mm. Why, I have no idea. A 22mm would still be fine though. You might have some mild abrasion on the inside of your lugs at the springbars, but it wouldn't be bad and definitely not out of the ordinary.

Oct 26, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #3,914 of 14,288
Victorinox actually makes a few watches with 45mm dials and 23mm stainless bracelets, like the Chrono Classic XLS, for instance. I have no idea if they would fit the Air Boss Mach 6. I am a bit of a watch noob...

I would love to see any suggestions for other watches similar to the Air Boss. Preferably sub-$1k. I'd be happy with a smaller dial (my current watch is 39mm).

Oct 26, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #3,915 of 14,288
new to the collection

IMG_0978.jpg

IMG_0979.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back