Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Nov 12, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #8,281 of 14,288
  More info on the Philippe Patek:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/12/business/24-million-gold-watch-sothebys-record-patek-philippe/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

I like that it ends with "The identity of the new buyer is unknown."  It was sold to Aurel Bacs.  Period.  He was in the room and had the highest bid.

That said, I'm pretty sure he doesn't have $24Million in a mattress somewhere...  OOooooooo

Nov 12, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #8,282 of 14,288
Not sure what you mean by off but mine is absolutely perfect and looks way more expensive than it actually is. I didn't have a day/date dress watch so thought it would be rude not to add it to my collection. I added the deployment clasp...

The one I tried on has this strange aluminium foil shine to it, champagne colored dial, it's hard to describe in words.

Nov 13, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #8,283 of 14,288

Nice Blackbird!  One of my favorite Breitlings.  It's a shame that they discontinued it, brought it back, then discontinued it again.  Enjoy it!

I was one who always thought Breitling Dials looked way to busy but after I bought this one it looks busy in all the right places(love the Big date in the 12 o'clock).
beerchug.gif

Thank you, sir...

Nov 13, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #8,284 of 14,288

I like that it ends with "The identity of the new buyer is unknown."  It was sold to Aurel Bacs.  Period.  He was in the room and had the highest bid.

That said, I'm pretty sure he doesn't have $24Million in a mattress somewhere...  OOooooooo

…at least, not anymore, he doesn't! 
tongue.gif

I was one who always thought Breitling Dials looked way to busy but after I bought this one it looks busy in all the right places(love the Big date in the 12 o'clock).
beerchug.gif

Thank you, sir...

That date window is perfect for the "over 45+ crowd"!

It's been a long time since I've been able to find any watch with a date, useful. 
blink.gif

Nov 14, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #8,286 of 14,288

Spot on! I will be 45 in a month..
biggrin.gif
 BTW, I also ride..

NICE!!! My wife rode a '96 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR. She currently has a Gary Fisher Joshua X1.

I bought her this in St. Marteen on a scuba trip and except for giving birth, she has never taken it off:

Ladies Kirium Ti5.

I bought the men's version from Tourneau in NY. Very memorable because it was my first real watch purchase.

Not my pic. Vulcanized rubber band, titanium body and carbon fiber face. Still runs like the day I bought it.
Have a lifetime battery replacement from Tourneau.
It's a 40mm dial and is now way too small for my wrist which has grown slightly over the last 15 years 
redface.gif

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #8,289 of 14,288
Here's a few of mine. Have 2 other Seiko as my daily beaters.

Just received this Sumo a few days back.

Nov 17, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #8,290 of 14,288
Nov 19, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #8,291 of 14,288
I love watches! My favorite is my TAG Heuer Formula One that my wife gave me as an engagement present. I have another 6 ranging from G-shock to skeleton automatic watches. I'll buy anything if I like the way it looks, I don't care how cheap it is. I am really interested in unique digital watches or watches that have an unorthodox way of telling time. I don't think I will ever get a smart watch. I like my watches efficient and reliable. Smart watches need to be recharged as often as cell phones which I don't like. My dream watch would be to get this piece by Jean Baptist Viot

http://www.tempered-online.com/viot/gallery.html

He designs his watches with a long term outlook so that any broken pieces can be rebuilt by a moderately skilled watchmaker. This ensures that the watch can last for generations.

I also find an interesting parallel between watches and my audio hobby. The most valuable watches in the world do not perform better than cheaper quartz watches. No swiss watch manufacturer will ever claim this either. However high end watches thrive because of the art of watchmaking. I think the same way about tube amps and turntables. Tube amps and vinyl records measure short against solid state amps and cds consistently. Yet I find it enormously interesting how record players work as well as tube amps.The precision engineering that goes into a phono cartridge is like what occurs with a mechanical watch.

The main difference between the two is that there are haters that say how tubes and vinyl is a waste of money because it is worse than modern equipment. However you never really hear people say how a Rolex or a Patek Philippe is a waste of money even though cheap quartz will keep time much better.

Someday I think this sort of criticism will end and stuff like tubes and vinyl will be accepted like swiss watches.

Nov 20, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #8,293 of 14,288
Not sure if any of you like Tag Heuers, but might as well ask this here. Which one do you guys like better?

Nov 20, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #8,294 of 14,288
Between the two, I prefer the Monaco. 

Nov 20, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #8,295 of 14,288
  Between the two, I prefer the Monaco. 

That's what I'm thinking as well, the Carrera C16 looks a bit gaudy to me. I like the understatement of the Monaco..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back