Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Sep 17, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #7,352 of 14,288

Where do they claim 1-2 seconds per day? My understanding is that they only claim the COSC spec of +6/-4 seconds per day, but in actuality they make them more accurate. In any case, kudos to them for trying to best the antiquated COSC rating, and congrats on the great watch!

Correct. Per Omega: 

"To earn the title of chronometer, the mechanical movement’s average daily variation in rate must be between -4/+6 seconds per day, or a precision of 99.99%, the highest precision attainable by a mechanical movement. The precision of a mechanical movement depends on the individual habits of the wearer and can therefore vary. A qualified OMEGA watchmaker can adjust the precision of a watch to within the OMEGA tolerances, which are from -1 to +6 seconds per day."

However, I can attest that my 8500 with the Si14 balance is -1/+4 so far as I can calculate. I'll probably have it sent out to an Omega watchmaker (Miami, most likely) after a year and see how accurate they can get it, as it depends on one's storage and wearing habits. 

NK

Sep 18, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #7,353 of 14,288

Correct. Per Omega: 

"To earn the title of chronometer, the mechanical movement’s average daily variation in rate must be between -4/+6 seconds per day, or a precision of 99.99%, the highest precision attainable by a mechanical movement. The precision of a mechanical movement depends on the individual habits of the wearer and can therefore vary. A qualified OMEGA watchmaker can adjust the precision of a watch to within the OMEGA tolerances, which are from -1 to +6 seconds per day."

However, I can attest that my 8500 with the Si14 balance is -1/+4 so far as I can calculate. I'll probably have it sent out to an Omega watchmaker (Miami, most likely) after a year and see how accurate they can get it, as it depends on one's storage and wearing habits. 

NK

With my 8500/Si14, I have been getting 0 to +1 sec over a 24 hr period when wearing the watch and a drift of approx +3 sec if left sitting. I have read somewhere that this is also effected by how the watch is sitting. i.e face up/face down and side on.

I seldom remove my watch, so 0 -1 sec a day is pretty good for an auto. !!

Sep 20, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #7,355 of 14,288

Correct. Per Omega: 

NK

With my 8500/Si14, I have been getting 0 to +1 sec over a 24 hr period when wearing the watch and a drift of approx +3 sec if left sitting. I have read somewhere that this is also effected by how the watch is sitting. i.e face up/face down and side on.

I seldom remove my watch, so 0 -1 sec a day is pretty good for an auto. !!

I'd say! when sleeping or typing (such as... now) I leave mine face down to even out some of the specific gravitational force on the mainspring. 

Sounds borderline insane? Well, this is Head-Fi... 
gs1000.gif

I'll rent a frequency counter and really do a systematic check of my 8500/Si14 accuracy soon. 

I like to wear my Seamaster in the shower, and the quick changes in temperature may affect the running functions, so when I have it formally adjusted I imagine that will be taken into account. 

NK 

Sep 27, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #7,359 of 14,288
Just added a new watch to my collection, a watch for Tube amp lovers!

I have not been able to capture a picture of the tubes glowing so am using someone else's wrist shot the other is with my TU-05 tube amp and a shot in the box with spare tubes!

I am loving this watch, it is large but really comfortable and for once the size of the watch is not a fashion dictate but a practical one as the pictures show. I must say this form of timekeeping is addictive, so easy to read day or night!

A bargain for what it costs considering it is hand made by one man!

Sep 27, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #7,361 of 14,288
Thank you! I am lucky enough to own some nice watches but I can see why Steve Wozniak says its his favourite watch!

I should have explained how it tells the time. You unscrew the cover to set the watch with two buttons at the bottom of the tubes. Once set you screw back on the cover/crystal and all you have to do is tilt the watch as you would normally do to read the time. First the display flashes the hour, then the minutes, then seconds. If you hold the watch in position it counts the seconds past.

You can adjust the tilt angle though I find it perfect as is at 45 degrees.

The battery is a CR2 and lasts between 4-6 months with average use. I just ordered four Panasonic's from a local eBay seller for $10 So I have probably got a couple of years power supply which is pretty cheap.

I love that all one does is tilt the wrist to see the time.. Best lume in the world!!! :D

Sep 28, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #7,363 of 14,288
Thats the one!

Here is a link to a British chap showing his off and how it works, also a bit of history.

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0xamRXGe1E[/VIDEO]

Sep 28, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #7,365 of 14,288
The tube is a Nixie B-5870 which were designed to be used in Calculators but LED's soon over took them so this particular type of Nixie tube did not last long in production though they are meant to have a very long use life.

This is a good description from David at Cathode corner, the tube uses Neon in the vacuum, it works a bit like a neon tube..

http://www.cathodecorner.com/nixiewatch/theory/theory.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back