Warriors fans (or any NBA fans): agree with the trade?
Jun 29, 2007 at 7:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

nibiyabi

Headphoneus Supremus
As some of you are certainly aware, the NBA draft occurred today. During the draft, the Warriors' front office traded Jason Richardson and Jermareo Davidson (Warriors' 36th pick) to the Bobcats in exchange for Brandan Wright. Was this a steal for either side or was it good for both teams (i.e., good for the Bobcats now, good for the Warriors later)?

Jun 29, 2007 at 2:59 PM Post #2 of 6
This one is interesting, both sides now have a question mark, will Jason Richardson be able to carry the Bobcats, and will Brandan Wright live up to the hype? Is Richardson really a 20 point scorer as he was two seasons ago, is he a sixteen point player like he was this year with Baron Davis calling (and taking) the shots? I think two years ago his stats were a little stuffed because he didn't have a whole lot of help, and I think this year his numbers were a little low due to injury and sharing the ball with Stephen Jackson and Baron Davis. I think he plays well and scores 18 a game but won't really lead that team or make them much better. I am not a fan of Brandan Wright, I saw him play quite a few games and he can be impressive when he wants to be, but his game rarely seems unflappable, playing against guys who are bigger stronger more athletic and more dedicated than he is is something he's never had to deal with, in college whenever he needed to turn it on he relied on the fact that the guy gaurding him was either smaller than he was or bigger but less athletic than he, not going to happen in the NBA however where he will face the cliche of bigger stronger faster. I think he'll be a bust in the sense that he won't be a marquee go to player.

Oh and just when I think Kevin McChale finally found some of his long lost marbels he passes on derrick byars and drafts chris richard from florida. I swear McChale drinks every day of his life

Jul 1, 2007 at 5:08 AM Post #4 of 6
I'm almost certain that the Warriors acquired Wright through trade only to try to get another player through trade, probably Yi Jianlian. Yi fits well within Don Nelson's system as an athletic big man who can also shoot and run the floor, and given that the bay area have a large Chinese population, I think it's a pretty good fit for Yi.

Jul 1, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #5 of 6
Dumping JRich's contract was a good move. Players like him are easily replaceable. He is really nothing but a good shooter. He's not particularly good at defense, rebounding, passing, or driving to the hoop. He shoots well, and makes an occasional fantastic dunk. The Warriors were in desperate need of a presence in the middle. Whether Wright becomes that, or they trade him for someone who is (Garnett?), or they use the cap space freed up to sign someone who is, the Warriors will come out ahead.

Futhermore, they will be much more enabled to resign Barnes, who is a much better all-around player than JRich. Also, their other 1st round pick, Bellinelli, is supposed to be a serious 3-point sharpshooter, which should greatly lessen the impact of losing JRich's scoring.

On the other side, JRich will help Charlotte, but I think the cost, both in terms of his salary, and giving up perhaps the 3rd best player in the draft, is too high for a guy with too limited a skillset.

Jul 1, 2007 at 6:58 AM Post #6 of 6
IMHO J Rich was expendable. 2 Guards are a dime a dozen in the NBA, especially in Nellies scheme, where he can take just about any 1 or 2 and make them exceed their potential. Looking back Nelson has coached and developed countless guards to great NBA careers.... Richmond, Sprewell, Starks, Jud Buechler, Winston Garland, John Berry, Sharunas...etc... That skinny soccer player in Phoenix being Nellies latest/greatest.

Anyone remember Otis Smith?... A SUPER athletic stud, like JRich. The only other GSW Slam dunk contestant that I can recall. A real leaper, and a nice guy... but not the scorer that JRich is. Otis was also a defensive liability, and Nellie let him go.

JRich had a pretty steep salary, and I don't think he was a great defender.

I'm more of a GSW fan than an NBA fan, so I can't recall enough about Wright to say whether or not it was an overall good or bad trade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back