Warren Haynes v. Derek Trucks
Sep 26, 2005 at 10:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

tyrion

Can Jam '08 Lead Organizer
I had a chance to see both these guys this past weekend at the Austin City Limits Music Festival. They were both playing with the Allman Brothers and I also caught Mr. Haynes with Gov't Mule. I enjoy them both. There is no question they are both talented guitar player. However, one headfier, who will remain nameless as I don't want to embarass him, thought that Warren Haynes was the better guitarist. Help me out here, as good as Warren Haynes is, Derek Trucks just seems to be on another planet.

Sep 26, 2005 at 10:45 PM Post #2 of 22
You sir are on crack. Warren Haynes is among the best guitarists on the planet, and teaches new things to dereck every time they spend time together. Warren just doesn't showboat. Dereck is a good slide guitarist, and does well with the allmans. Warren is a guitar GOD.

Sep 26, 2005 at 11:09 PM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
You sir are on crack. Warren Haynes is among the best guitarists on the planet, and teaches new things to dereck every time they spend time together. Warren just doesn't showboat. Dereck is a good slide guitarist, and does well with the allmans. Warren is a guitar GOD.

My crack habit is irrelevant. I saw Warren playing as much or more slide then Derek. I think long days or is it long nights up there are affecting your thinking. I am curious as to what some of the guitar players out there believe. I am learning but far from a player so I base my opinion on what I hear and what I see. I just don't know if what I am seeing is technically consider better or not.

Sep 26, 2005 at 11:29 PM Post #4 of 22
I wouldn't base your opinion of the two players on seeing one show. Or if you're gonna base it on one show, go to the christmas jam at the asheville civic center on or around december 21 this year. Warren is an amazingly versatile player, moving effortlessly from jazz to southern rock to slide blues to metal.

And warren helped teach dereck how to play slide...one of the things his return to the allmans brought was allowing dereck to do things other than play slide.

Sep 26, 2005 at 11:43 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
I had a chance to see both these guys this past weekend at the Austin City Limits Music Festival. They were both playing with the Allman Brothers and I also caught Mr. Haynes with Gov't Mule. I enjoy them both. There is no question they are both talented guitar player. However, one headfier, who will remain nameless as I don't want to embarass him, thought that Warren Haynes was the better guitarist. Help me out here, as good as Warren Haynes is, Derek Trucks just seems to be on another planet.

i'm not embarrased. haynes is better!

i know you are not on crack -- just cracked!!!!
biggrin.gif

Sep 27, 2005 at 12:10 AM Post #6 of 22
I listen to a lot of both of them from various shows I have recorded and on cd.

You see what you've done, played right into stevieo's hands. I will never hear the end of it. Everything you say about being able to transition is what I see hear Derek do, especially when I listen to his band. Don't get me wrong, I think Warren is the hardest working guy in rock at the moment. The fact that he plays with the Dead, the Allmans and Gov't Mule says something about his versatility.

stevieo, watch yourself or pics will start to appear.
k1000smile.gif

Sep 27, 2005 at 12:13 AM Post #7 of 22
Derek is definitely more showey than warren, but I think his wife's a better player than he is...he plays without feeling, without life experience to inform his music.

Sep 27, 2005 at 12:20 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Derek is definitely more showey than warren, but I think his wife's a better player than he is...he plays without feeling, without life experience to inform his music.

Now I think your the doing crack. If you saw him play you wouldn't say he was playing without feeling.

Sep 27, 2005 at 12:27 AM Post #9 of 22
I've seen him play somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 times, from when he was 12 playing at a bar in greensboro until a few years ago in a bar in charlotte. He's talented, but emotionless.

Sep 27, 2005 at 12:42 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

I've seen him play somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 times, from when he was 12 playing at a bar in greensboro until a few years ago in a bar in charlotte. He's talented, but emotionless.

As you might imagine, DT has improved a lot in the last few years. I have always enjoyed DT's playing more than WH. Derek has a more subtle touch than WH does, and an approach that is rooted more in jazz than WH's bluesy approach (though DT does blues really well). DT plays with an incredible amount of emotion, in fact I think he's up there with Carlos Santana as far as converting emotion into tone.

I have seen DTB 4 or 5 times and they are easily some my favorite shows.

Sep 27, 2005 at 1:27 AM Post #11 of 22
I haven't had the opportunity to see the DTB but have heard many shows. I've been to 2 ABB shows so that is the extent of my live experience with Derek.

Sep 27, 2005 at 4:28 AM Post #12 of 22
Besides the DBT and the ABB, let's not forget about LMNOP
tongue.gif

Here's how I see it, and of course being the failed guitarist that I am, I take my opinion very seriously. As far as technical abilities are concerned, Derek is the better guitar player, and I wish he would play less slide so others can see that.
However, if I had my druthers, I would rather play and listen to, Warren. His versatility is, well, versitile. He can play Southern Rock, intricate Jazz rock fusion, blues and just plain rock. His songs have far more emotion intertwined in them than Derek. His singing is what the blues and the south are all about. This guy can riff. He knows when to bring it down, and when to pick it up. He is who I would want to be if I were capable of playing for a living. He's who I'd want to be, if I couldn't play, which is really the case.
Give Derek some time, take the slide off his finger, and he will probably be able to be more fulfilling. He is the better guitar player, as a technician, but Warren, gets more of my time and attention.
Warren is just a Towering Fool who does a good Thorazine Shuffle.
cool.gif

Sep 27, 2005 at 4:34 AM Post #13 of 22
Warren played with the Dead.

I saw him five nights at Red Rocks.

He's a God to me for that alone.

Anyone that can play with the Dead is a legend in my mind.

BILL

Sep 27, 2005 at 12:43 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
He is the better guitar player, as a technician, but Warren, gets more of my time and attention.
Warren is just a Towering Fool who does a good Thorazine Shuffle.
cool.gif

I heard a great Thorazine Shuffle on Friday.
k1000smile.gif
I agree that in terms of all around musician, WH is the guy. He plays, he sings and he does it for 3 different bands. My point was as a technician, who is the better player. I voted for WH when Sirius, Jam On had a contest for the hardest working man in music.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikemonkeys
Warren played with the Dead.
I saw him five nights at Red Rocks.
He's a God to me for that alone.
Anyone that can play with the Dead is a legend in my mind.

If playing with the Dead is the criteria, then as a deadhead, I have to agree.

Sep 27, 2005 at 11:23 PM Post #15 of 22
btw I drank the same koolaide as Mike and even though I am a huge Warren Haynes fan and think he is outstanding Derek just blew me away. First time seeing Derek 5 or 6th time seeing Warren. I was really impressed wth Derek's straight up jamming abilities while is technique is outstanding it was his ability to play melodicallt that blew me away. He just doesn't go out there and blast away on scales he did a really nice job of building a solo somewhat like many great jazz horn players of the 50's era would do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back