Warning to people taking apart the ksc75
Feb 7, 2006 at 5:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

blazer78

500+ Head-Fier
I noticed some buzzing on the right channel of the clip-ons. So i pretty much assumed that there must have been dust/hair vibrating against the driver. Be warned, that the driver is covered by a plastic grill, to remove the hair, remove the grill FIRST.

I used a pair of tweezers and tried to remove the hairs individually (through the plastic grill) although i err.. poked the drivers with them, now they are dented. (It still sounds the same, in fact it has more bass now and more treble [What?]). The shiny thing you see as soon as you remove the foam covers are actually the drivers, and they seem to be made of aluminium foil type material. So as you can easily predict, they are fragile and will easily dent/develop a hole if you prod it with sharp objects. (luckily for me, i dented them only, hell i thought it was some type of steel lol)

Oh and the foam covers are held by plastic "spikes", so lift the foam up, then pull it away or you'll risk tearing the foam.

Just a precaution, be very careful.

Feb 7, 2006 at 6:34 AM Post #2 of 5
Thanks for that!! I often fail to mention just how delicate they are. I have dented a couple drivers too... and learned the hard way. Ruined a brand new UR40 and KSC50. And yes even a small dent / puncture can alter the sound.

Good Luck DIY-ers
Garrett

Feb 7, 2006 at 7:46 AM Post #3 of 5
Sounds as though you touched the diaphragm..

This what I do for some crappy earbuds:

It's called a speed-burn in.
If you want earbuds to sound better (pleaes don't do these for expensive ones as they might get killed) I blow in the drivers while covering them with my mouth.

I know it sounds gross, but it's actually good. This way, the diaphragm's shape is altered and widened, giving the same result as a burn in.

But it may take a while for you to get used to this as you hear crinkles when the diaphragm gets either blown with air or being sucked in to your mouth to reverse the process.

But this is probably not great for expansive cans. :p
And it's hard to understand what I've typed.

Feb 7, 2006 at 8:32 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong
Sounds as though you touched the diaphragm..

This what I do for some crappy earbuds:

It's called a speed-burn in.
If you want earbuds to sound better (pleaes don't do these for expensive ones as they might get killed) I blow in the drivers while covering them with my mouth.

I know it sounds gross, but it's actually good. This way, the diaphragm's shape is altered and widened, giving the same result as a burn in.

But it may take a while for you to get used to this as you hear crinkles when the diaphragm gets either blown with air or being sucked in to your mouth to reverse the process.

But this is probably not great for expansive cans. :p
And it's hard to understand what I've typed.

i'll translate: give your cans CPR.
icon10.gif

Feb 7, 2006 at 9:35 AM Post #5 of 5
lol, well aparently i believe the diaphragm used in the ksc75's are some sort of paper coated with a metallic substance for added strength. But if you ask me, its still pretty fragile =P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back