Warm sounding IC's
Aug 18, 2009 at 7:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Patu

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking for warm sounding interconnects (RCA - RCA) with full bodied sound. They shouldn't sacrifice too much details for the warmth, if you know what I mean. Something pure copper (no silver) preferably.

Any recommendations? Price max. is somewhere around $100. Used is ok, actually even better than new pair.

Aug 18, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #3 of 39
You might give some consideration to the audio interconnects from Better Cables (bettercables.com) or the IC50 from LAT International (latinternational.com). I found the copper cables from these two vendors to give a little more warmth in my system (as compared to some silver cables I tried).

Aug 19, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #5 of 39
Thanks for the suggestions.

It's not that my current cables would sound harsh (QED Silver Spiral) but they just play everything with such a precision and separation that it can get annoying with some recordings.

Yesterday I changed Silver Spirals to QED Qunex 2 basic copper cable and the difference was dramatic. The sound became flatter and more boring through the whole spectrum but at the same time easier to listen to. Qunex 2 is clearly worse than Silver Spiral but because it makes the listening easier, I'll now keep it connected. But it clearly can't be my final solution.

I need some cable which has quite polite high end with full bodied sound but which doesn't sacrifice too much of the energy in the sound.

Aug 19, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #6 of 39
Keep them recommendations coming. Please only recommend cables you have self tried and compared to other cables.

Aug 20, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #8 of 39
cardas 300b

Aug 20, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #9 of 39
i have oritek x-1 cables which sound pretty warm. they are very musical and quite expensive though at $300 but you can find them used for $200. sometimes i go back to the blue jeans though just because it gets too warm like when i'm using the HD650. the x-1's are a very nice cable, but the x-2's are just magical.

Aug 20, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #10 of 39
I have and really like the VH Audio Pulsar's which I think impart of a bit of a warm/full character. Excellent resolution, tempered but open highs, beautiful mids and bass is fantastic. Yikes, just checked pricing as I was typing. They went up. Used to be under $100 for a .5 meter pair. Problem is they are around $160-170 a pair now. Killer though, have used them for a few years now. VH Audio - Audio Interconnects

Aug 20, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #11 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you can try the IC's that use Mundorf silver/Gold wire. the S/G wire usually give very warm sound, no harshness. Basically warm like the copper stuff, but still with that "silver resolution".

-- P.S. not sure if you can get such cable for less than $100 though.

I currently have silver/copper hybrids (QED Silver Spiral). That's not what I'm looking for now. Pure copper only. I know that other silver cables can sound very different from Silver Spiral but this time I just want the cables to be pure copper.

Quote:

Originally Posted by endless402 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cardas 300b

I've actually auditioned these interconnects once with my former headphone rig. They had pretty much the most bizarre sound I've ever heard. Though I've never heard Cardas cables to be bright or anything else like that so something from their lineup could possibly work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have oritek x-1 cables which sound pretty warm. they are very musical and quite expensive though at $300 but you can find them used for $200. sometimes i go back to the blue jeans though just because it gets too warm like when i'm using the HD650. the x-1's are a very nice cable, but the x-2's are just magical.

Unfortunately these go over my budget.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean H /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have and really like the VH Audio Pulsar's which I think impart of a bit of a warm/full character. Excellent resolution, tempered but open highs, beautiful mids and bass is fantastic. Yikes, just checked pricing as I was typing. They went up. Used to be under $100 for a .5 meter pair. Problem is they are around $160-170 a pair now. Killer though, have used them for a few years now. VH Audio - Audio Interconnects

These do look interesting but are also slightly over my budget.

Now when I read the description better, it says silver there.
eek.gif

Thanks for all the recommendations. Keep them coming.

I'll now have to wait for my Enigma Audio The Rheuma speaker wires to arrive and after that I'll do some comparison with interconnects. When this is done I can finally compare DAC3 to Audio GD DAC and decide which I'm going to keep.

Aug 20, 2009 at 11:59 AM Post #12 of 39
Solid core copper like Audioquest uses is the way to go.
Depending on your POV these could be described either as warm and full, as rolled-off treble and undamped bass or as reduced accent on transients and dynamics.

Aug 20, 2009 at 12:18 PM Post #13 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Solid core copper like Audioquest uses is the way to go.
Depending on your POV these could be described either as warm and full, as rolled-off treble and undamped bass or as reduced accent on transients and dynamics.

Interesting. Any other manufacturers who use solid core copper?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back