warm solid state amps for ~<$500?
Feb 1, 2008 at 2:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ph0rk

Headphoneus Supremus
I currently have a Glite, and while there isn't anything wrong with it, I have the urge to mix things up a bit. Damn upgraditis acting up again.

I took the briefest of looks at tube amps, but really the care and feeding of such things isn't for me, and with my cluttered desk, I'm liable to melt a wire insulator on a tube, or my fingers, or both.

So, a few searches later I was mulling over an EC/SS or Heed Canamp, but I figure in that range I might as well enter the midrange DIY category - M3 or CKK3 et al. For those in the know - which of these (or other similar DIY amps) can be best customized for a warm sound signature?

Feb 1, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Talisman Audio

according to: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/com...an-t-3h-83965/

the T-3h is probably not what I'm after:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This amp sounds quite a bit special compared to the others and compared to the direct connection. It has some emphasis from the midrange up to the lower treble, followed by a smooth roll-off up to higher frequencies. The bass is slightly on the lean side, but reaches deep and has punch. The resulting «plateau» makes for a somewhat artificial sonic signature that unfortunately is audible no matter what headphone I've used.

As I was thinking more lower midrange and would prefer it be fatter than neutral rather than bass lean (if it must be something other than flat).

Feb 1, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, a few searches later I was mulling over an EC/SS or Heed Canamp, but I figure in that range I might as well enter the midrange DIY category - M3 or CKK3 et al. For those in the know - which of these (or other similar DIY amps) can be best customized for a warm sound signature?

I built my CKK3 first with the standard BD139/140 output transistors, then replaced them with MJE243/253 a couple of weeks later. The difference is not huge, but the 243/253 setup is definitely a bit warmer.

Feb 1, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #5 of 9
Based on my own ownership experience (in order): RSA XP7, M^3, VHP2/VAC1, Meier amps, G-Lite V2 SE (all silver wire and blackgate caps).

Feb 1, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #6 of 9
Cantate, Arietta, Move considered as warm sounding amps.
Graham Slee "Green" Solo as well.

Feb 1, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cantate, Arietta, Move considered as warm sounding amps.
Graham Slee "Green" Solo as well.

Is that the same thing as the "intro" solo? The regular solo is around $1000 and a cursory search didn't reveal any vendors of the green one, can you reveal a vendor?

Previous reviews I've read have claimed that the Meier offerings were anything other than warm. I already have a a pretty accurate amp (gilmore lite), I'd like the sort of thing someone who dislikes excess treble would pair with a 325i or a DT880.

I think I would prefer to support a DIY-er.

Feb 1, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #8 of 9
Honestly from what I have read, tubes are the way to go with both of those headphones, as they smooth the harsh highs and mid-tones. I dont know of any truly "warm" SS amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back