Warm setup for the HD 800
Mar 10, 2011 at 10:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Lan647

1000+ Head-Fier
I prefer to start my own treads instead of using existing HD 800 threads, then I get all the focus 
biggrin.gif

I think the HD 800 is a very balanced headphone with relaxed (yet extended and detailed) treble, nice mids (though my current setup doesn't provide the same wonderful presence I heard with a Naim-rig before, and they are a bit grainy at times) and deep, impactful bass. The Naim setup including the CD5xs CD-player, the Headline headphone amp and it's power supply, the NAPSC, provided wonderful warmth and smoothness to die for, however it somehow lacked energy and the bass was more laid back than striking. I prefer balance between those. 

I was looking into the Naim DAC or the Lavry DA11, and the next amp would probably be a tube like the Leben CS300 or the Woo audio 22. 

Whats the best setup (amp, dac) you can think of (below 7000$) for great HD 800 synergy (that is smooth, deep yet strong, tight bass, liquid, natural mids with the feel of presence, detailed, airy yet relaxed treble, typically tube, and huge, accurate soundstage)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back