Warm closed back, build like a tank
Nov 19, 2021 at 5:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

nOoneNL

Head-Fier
Basically, I'm looking for a DT770 with a warm sound signature.

You see, for years I used to drag around my DT770 on the outside of my messengerbag, hanging from the strap. It took alot of beating, but never complained. To this day it still works pefectly.

So this has become my prime example of "build like a tank".

But, lately I have been extremely happy with the warmer Sennheiser house-sound and would really like a smoother/warmer sound on the go.

Switching from my HD580 to my DT770 is like.... lets say it's like getting a cold shower while desperately in need a warm blanket.

So, are there any warm closed back "tanks" out there? Preferably over ear and not too pricey (~ €250).

I have a JDS Labs C5D as a portable amp, should be fine for most cans.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2021 at 5:54 AM Post #3 of 9
Check out the Sennheiser HD300 Pro with replaceable ear pads, headband padding, and cable:

https://www.thomannmusic.com/sennheiser_hd_300_pro.htm

Thanks for the suggestion! I somehow discredited the HD300 for looking plasticy and flimsy.

Now that I think about it, most Sennheiser phones I owned I would not dare dream about dragging with me everywhere I go. While build quality is ok for home use, it's far from a "tank".

Update: I've been reading through the Beyerdynamic DT250 threat, where some users compare it to the HD600.
Pleasant mids, no fatigue... sure sounds good. Will continue reading :)

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #4 of 9
Basically, I'm looking for a DT770 with a warm sound signature.

You see, for years I used to drag around my DT770 on the outside of my messengerbag, hanging from the strap. It took alot of beating, but never complained. To this day it still works pefectly.

So this has become my prime example of "build like a tank".

But, lately I have been extremely happy with the warmer Sennheiser house-sound and would really like a smoother/warmer sound on the go.

Switching from my HD580 to my DT770 is like.... lets say it's like getting a cold shower while desperately in need a warm blanket.

So, are there any warm closed back "tanks" out there? Preferably over ear and not too pricey (~ €250).

I have a JDS Labs C5D as a portable amp, should be fine for most cans.

One cheaper option: EQ the DT770 if it's not for reference listening at home anyway?

If you're using FLAC, Neutron Music Player has a good EQ with a lot of control. Set one band to high-shelf, center freq at 5000hz, Q factor at 1.0, then put in a -6dB gain.

If you're using streaming services, download Neutralizer and use its semi-auto tuning tool. It will play a sine wave and you cut or boost as necessary then go back and forth until you have the top range trimmed to as loud as the midrange.

Nov 20, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #5 of 9
One cheaper option: EQ the DT770 if it's not for reference listening at home anyway?

If you're using FLAC, Neutron Music Player has a good EQ with a lot of control. Set one band to high-shelf, center freq at 5000hz, Q factor at 1.0, then put in a -6dB gain.

If you're using streaming services, download Neutralizer and use its semi-auto tuning tool. It will play a sine wave and you cut or boost as necessary then go back and forth until you have the top range trimmed to as loud as the midrange.
Great idea! I have an ipod Classic with Rockbox firmware. It plays FLAC files and has a build in EQ.

I only tried EQ-ing the 770's with my Schiit Loki, but could never get any satisfying results. The mids remained recessed and lacked liveliness.

But I'll definitely give it another go with the Rockbox EQ!

Nov 21, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #7 of 9
Great idea! I have an ipod Classic with Rockbox firmware. It plays FLAC files and has a build in EQ.

I only tried EQ-ing the 770's with my Schiit Loki, but could never get any satisfying results. The mids remained recessed and lacked liveliness.

But I'll definitely give it another go with the Rockbox EQ!

Set Band 4 to -6dB. If you can change where it is, set it to 5000hz to 5500hz.

Dec 26, 2021 at 11:57 PM Post #9 of 9
The HD300s are truly built like a tank, but I would argue they are far from warm.

I've tried and used the K371s, but like jmwant noted, they aren't exactly built like a tank - also for some reason many reviewers recommend the K361 over the K371 - I think it had something to do with quality control. Either or, both are pretty close to the Harman Curve (which does have some warmth).

Not build like a tank, but I've hopped on the hype train with the Sivga 021 - definitely a warmer/bassy pair. They are exactly the warm blanket I reach for late at night when I just need to chill out and relax! Truly, I can't tell you how smooth and enjoyable the sound signature is (without compromising on detail and resolve).

Sony 1AM2's lay flat (so they might actually fit inside the messenger bag) - they're moderately durable.

Saving the best for last... I've found my Audio Technica ATH-M50x's to be both durable and enjoyable to listen to. Not quite as aggressive as the DT770s, but still on the studio headphones spectrum. If you replace the pads with some velour, I think you can achieve that warm/durable combo you're looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back