War of the Worlds by Jeff Wayne like recommendations
Feb 4, 2008 at 6:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Marl

100+ Head-Fier
Sort of a strange title. Eh. Anyway,

I recently listened to War of the Worlds by Jeff Wayne and was stunned. Is there anything else similar in style or similar in story telling structure?

Much appreciated.

Feb 4, 2008 at 8:56 AM Post #3 of 10
This is a difficult question as TWOTW was a concept album recorded with narrative and different vocalists on the song parts. I can give some recommendations on albums with narration, some on albums with a concept story and some on albums with a similar tonal quality, but to match all 3 is vertuallu impossible.

1 Narration plus a good story: The original 'Journey to the Centre of the Earth' by Rick Wakeman with the Festival Orchestra

2 Narration plus a concept : Radio KAOS by Roger Waters

3 Concept album with differrent vocalists: Tommy, the original Soundtrack album by the Who et al, not the actual studio album which is all by the Who.

4 Concept album with rock opera overtones: Bat out of Hell by Meatloaf

5 Concept album with terrific melody and some similarity: any of these by the Moody Blues, 'Days of Future Past' 'Every Good Boy Deserves Favour' ' To Our Childrens Childrens Children'

6 A great concept album from start to finish, but much more modern: The Last DJ by Tom Petty.

Hope these are of some joy to you

Feb 4, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #4 of 10
The Alan Parsons Project Edgar Allen Poe record is the only thing I can think of that's similar.

I'm amazed people still remember War of the Worlds. It was a huge flop when it came out.

See ya
Steve

Feb 4, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #5 of 10
It may have been a flop in the US, but it was a huge hit in the UK, both as an album and via Nick Heyward's single, "Forever Autumn". Indeed, the gatefold sleeve was an icon of my youth.

Excellent recommendations from Aardvarks, and I think that bigshot is right on the money with recommending The Alan Parsons Project. In terms of plot and musical style, I'd say that Wakeman's Journey to the Centre of the Earth is the closest single comparison.

Feb 4, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by carlosgp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would recommend Bat Out of Hell. I have always found "something" in common between these two.

Odd ... I know that there is an orchestra on "For Crying Out Loud", but the orchestral arrangements are not as pervasive as they are on War of the Worlds. When I think of that album I always think of the string section entry in "On The Eve of the War".

Feb 5, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sordel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It may have been a flop in the US, but it was a huge hit in the UK, both as an album and via Nick Heyward's single, "Forever Autumn". Indeed, the gatefold sleeve was an icon of my youth.

You mean Justin Hayward (of Moody Blues' fame)

Feb 5, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #9 of 10
How about All This And World War Two? Was that a hit in the UK too?

See ya
Steve

Feb 5, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #10 of 10
"Inferno" by Tangerine Dream tells the first story from the trilogy of Dante's Inferno, and is quite good.... if you're a fan of Tangerine dream. It's very different from most of their other stuff. I've only heard bits and pieces of the other two albums that go with it ("Purgatorio" and "Paradiso") but from what I have heard they seem a little more operatic than I like.

I've never heard the Jeff Wayne album you're asking about though, so I don't know if this would fit into what you're asking about. It's a great headphone album though, lots of texture, especially for a live recording.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back