WAR OF THE PORTABLE HEADSETS (100-200 range) NO HOLDS BAR!!!!
Nov 28, 2010 at 6:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

ilovetaylors

100+ Head-Fier
I am leaning towards the denon d1100.....

(light weight, bass is great, close cans, not ugly,)

going to be using it everyday on the train to block out the pan handlers from waking me up....(don't want a woman repellent on my head) , and also going to use it when I plug it up to my guitar preamp to hear myself play 

ANY REASON WHY I SHOULD GET SOMETHING ELSE?

Nov 28, 2010 at 7:31 AM Post #2 of 45
I think you meant 'Portable'. Unless you meant a headset for playing Portal and Portal 2, in which case you might want to look at something else.

Never owned any of these, but I can give you a quick FWIR rundown (take with a pinch of salt):
-Dr. Dre Beats are overpriced, fragile junk and should be disregarded.
-The M50s sound very good for their price but don't isolate very well in noisy situations.
-The HD 25 1-IIs sound very good but are somewhat closed in and dark in sound signature. Some claim they have the best passive isolation of any headphone.

Nov 28, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #3 of 45
Yea I meant portable.....
confused_face.gif

Nov 28, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #4 of 45
My Denon AHD1001 (older generation of the D1100) does not isolate at all.  I think i've read that all denon's do a poor job of isolation.  I'm not sure how it is with the newer D1100 though, but you should research it.

Nov 28, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #6 of 45

Quote:
I hear the D1100 are pretty good for isolation....

The m50's are good, but the bass is kinda lacking compare to beats...=O (hope I don't get flamed)

or the D1100.....

You won't be flamed, the beats are active noise canceling, the M50's are audiophile grade passive cancel which in comparison to so an HD25-II is pretty weak.

I really only consider the Ultrasone HFI-580 and the Shure SRH750DJ to be a much better deal yet similar headphone to the beats.

Nov 28, 2010 at 10:34 AM Post #8 of 45
Really depends on what you mean by "Lacking," If you mean bass punch I'd agree, the beats,Shures, and Ultrasones I spoke about all have more mid bass which is where you get the punch. But the M50's bass is controlled and tighter the the beats and the Shures all the while getting my bottom end extension.

Also I'd like to point out just about every one of those headphones up there will be great, but only a few are really portable.

Nov 28, 2010 at 10:38 AM Post #9 of 45
I would just get the M50 and be done with it. They are a phenomenal headphone for the price. I miss them dearly.

I could imagine they isolate better than the Denons, as the design permits. And they are half the price, so you don't have as much stress taking them everywhere.

Nov 28, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #12 of 45
M50's are great headphones. I enjoy them alot. But recently im Playing around with a pair of Vmoda CrossFades. IT has bass!!!  very portable. has a tough Feeling to the design. pretty balance other than bass. Highs are some what veiled , it could be me.

Nov 28, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #13 of 45
M50's aren't exactly portable but you can get away with it. My question is, why aren't the ES7's on this list, when they are basically portable (and actually portable) M50's and just about as good...

And why do we keep getting portable threads in the full sized section?
angry_face.gif

Nov 28, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #15 of 45
And the FOTM voting style strikes again.

The M50 are horrible for isolation and I personally cannot stand coiled cables nor the long straight cables for them.  I bought them thinking it'd be a nice pair of headphones for my commute.  I decided against that fairly quickly and now they're mostly used for watching TV or when my girl wants to listen to music out of her laptop.  M50 are a great starter can and are a very good value, but not all that portable.

I personally use the AKG K271mkII but did not vote for them because having to have an amp to get the best out of them might not be appealing towards you and from my experience the Senn HD25-1 had better passive noise cancellation.  

It's interesting you put the Beats in there when you didn't think the ES7 wasn't good enough.  I found the Beats to have an impactful but muddled bass and the ES7 to have a decent sound quality across the board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back