wanted: hardcore/metal recommendations
Apr 13, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #31 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amon Amarth isn't really viking metal, Symphony X is not power metal, Napalm Death is only about 10% death metal, and Lacuna Coil is barely even metal in the first place.

That's your opinion, not mine. Firstly, Amon Amarth involves Norse themes in many, many of their songs, hence it's viking metal. As far as Symphony X goes, all albums but The Odyssey and Paradise Lost are progressive metal, however, those two are the ones I listen to most. Napalm Death was a defining band as far as death metal goes, and Lacuna Coil is alternative/gothic metal all the way.

Situations like this are why I dislike genre classification. All of the artists I mentioned fit into the categories I feel they belong in - And you feel differently, so please, remember it's your own viewpoint when criticizing.

Apr 13, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #32 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deiz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Situations like this are why I dislike genre classification. All of the artists I mentioned fit into the categories I feel they belong in - And you feel differently, so please, remember it's your own viewpoint when criticizing.

Yes, you're right in that. I didn't mean to come off like an argumentative person.

However, Amon Amarth - from a musical standpoint - have far more in common with bands like At the Gates and Arch Enemy than they do with, say, Ensiferum or Moonsorrow. I mean, Therion also drench their lyricism in Norse mythology, but I'd hardly dub them viking metal.

Also, in my eyes - Napalm Death belong more in the realm of grind than death, Symphony X are far too varied in their delivery to really fit in with the power metal crowd, and Lacuna Coil have pretty much abandoned everything that once made them a halfway commendable gothic metal band.

~

Apr 13, 2007 at 5:31 AM Post #35 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, you're right in that. I didn't mean to come off like an argumentative person.

However, Amon Amarth - from a musical standpoint - have far more in common with bands like At the Gates and Arch Enemy than they do with, say, Ensiferum or Moonsorrow. I mean, Therion also drench their lyricism in Norse mythology, but I'd hardly dub them viking metal.

Also, in my eyes - Napalm Death belong more in the realm of grind than death, Symphony X are far too varied in their delivery to really fit in with the power metal crowd, and Lacuna Coil have pretty much abandoned everything that once made them a halfway commendable gothic metal band.

~

Yes, I agree with you on your statement regarding Amon Amarth, however I classify things as viking metal if they use Norse themes consistently, rather than fitting into a specific musical category.

And, as my Napalm Death collection extends from 1990 and beyond and thus misses their pure grind albums, I find I place them more into death metal simply because I listen to death, grind, and grindcore and thus my definitions are probably a little blurred together.

As far as Symphony X goes, I find their newer albums are moving towards a power metal sound, and their older work is very much in the progressive category, but again, I mainly listen to their newer work.

I can agree with you on Lacuna Coil, specifically their 2006 album, but most of their older work falls into the 'acceptable' gothic metal category.

Edit: And with regard to your comment about being argumentative.. Nah. It's nice to have something that gets me talking metal and out of my hip-hop & electronica binge.

Apr 13, 2007 at 6:30 AM Post #36 of 55
I guess I'll use the shotgun approach and throw out some more suggestions:

Megadeth - Rust in Peace - odds are, you've already heard this album. If you haven't, you need to.
Helstar - Nosferatu - you will bang your head. Whether you want to or not, you WILL bang your head. Probably some of the best riffing I have ever heard.
Demigod - Shadow Mechanics - Now, I know what your thinking: "B..b..but Error, Demigod is a death metal band! Don't they have cookie monster vocals?" Yes, they are a death metal band, and they do have deep, gruff vocals, but they also have clean vocals. Besides, the music is great so you probably wont mind at all.
Down - NOLA & Down II - Phil Anselmo's sludge metal side project, featuring members of Crowbar. Personally I prefer Down to Pantera.
Entombed - Morning Star - Some people call Entombed's style "Death & Roll". I just call it kick ass.
Susperia - Unlimited - Excellent riffs, excellent melodies, mediocre lyrics... Waitaminnit, who cares about lyrics when you do everything else so well?

Apr 15, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #37 of 55
I'll basically list you off my playlist. No numetal or goth/emo metal here.

Amon Amarth
Arch Enemy
At The Gates
Behemoth
Celtic Frost
Children of Bodom
Darkthrone
Dark Tranquillity
Death
Deicide
Ensiferum
Finntroll
Gorgoroth
I'mmortal
In Flames
Kalmah
KMFDM (Hau Ruck in particular)
Masterplan
Mercyful Fate
Meshuggah
Moonsorrow
Norther
Opeth
Satyricon
Soilwork
The Haunted
Strapping Young Lad
Warmen
Witchery

Enjoy! :)

Apr 15, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #38 of 55
Demon Hunter....a metal band that is very melodic, and great sounding. They do have the screaming vocals, then turn right around and sing their hearts out. The contrast of the vocals along with the very good beat and guitar they have is why i like them so much. 3 albums....

Self titled
Summer of Darkness
The Triptych

oh yea almost forgot.....they are a christian metal band, and am not a "churchy" guy. They just rock that much. I highly reccomend you check them out. The Triptych is by far the most refined album of the 3....if you were to pick one...

Apr 15, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #39 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by terriblepaulz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As the thread title implies, I want to rock. I have only recently began acquiring newer music (and going back to fill in gaps) after a 7/8 year hiatus. Before the hiatus, I jammed Sabbath and Zep of course, plus Metallica, Crowbar, and Pantera, The Obsessed, plus Bad Brains, Minor Threat, Black Flag, Fugazi, Big Black, plus more arty/proggy stuff like Sonic Youth, Mission of Burma etc.

Recently, I have picked up and enjoy the following: QOTSA/Kyuss, Fu Manchu, Monster Magnet, Opeth, The Tea Party, and Mastodon (Leviathan and Blood Mountain are my 2 new fave CDs by a mile).

I listened to, but did not like: Dream Theater (yeah, I'll get flamed in these parts, but I thought DT is pretty lame, esp. anything non-instrumental); Lacuna Coil (I don't know, it just didn't make me want to bang my head).

I am still on the fence about Black Label Society. The only thing holding me back is the Edder-esque vocals.

So I am looking for recommendations, and hopefully what I said above helps. I'll add that the "cookie monster" vocals are a big turn off. I can handle them on Opeth because the vocals vary and the instrumental stuff is just so poweful, but that's pushing it for me.

Welcome back.
smily_headphones1.gif
I saw many of the bands in your first list in the 80s and I like almost all the ones you posted, so I have a pretty good idea what you're looking for. Sounds like you want more a tough style with some melody.

For rocking hardcore punk, you have to hear The New Bomb Turks, especially "Destroy Oh Boy". IMO, the best punk LP ever (just IMO and I've heard 1000s of punk LPs), the natural evolution of Minor threat's style.

Also great stuff in the punk/rock crossover: Supersuckers "La mano Cornuda" or anything from earlier in their "career".

For really hard Rock, a no brainer: Turbonegro "Apocalypse Dudes". ***ing amazing, still give's me goose bumps.

Since you like Pantera, listen to the Best of Sepultura.

Surprised you didn't list Motorhead, the ancestor to much of the rock you posted. Start with either Ace of Spades, or Orgasmatron.

Hermano, for Kyuss style rock (no surprise when you see the memeber list
smily_headphones1.gif
).

On an outside bet, also try the New Christs. I love them, and Younger always wrote great tunes. There's a great history of tough Australian rock that goes largely ignored outside their own country. Beasts of Bourbon too.

Way up on my to-find list is Agalloch.

You can clips of pretty much all this off Amazon.

Apr 15, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #40 of 55
If you're into kyuss/qotsa, you should definitely check out:

Truckfighters - Gravity X - great, great album
Lowrider - Ode to Io - Often referred to as Kyuss clones, but thats not a bad thing!
Brant Bjork - Jalamanta - more chill, but super stoned-out
Unida - Coping with the Urban Coyote - kyuss-lite, the track "you wish" is awesome
The Sword - Age of Winters
Dozer - In the Tail of a Comet

Apr 16, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #42 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by jkm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here are two that I found I really like
Nevermore
Into Eterinity

No cookie monster.

Although, most death metal vocalsts sound nothing like a cookie monster.

Internity Eternity was mentioned ...BY ME! kidding...

i have to agree with the poster who said lacuna coil is not gothic. They have hints of it, but id classifiy them into more of a harder rock band. The music has too much pop (for lack of a better word).

Apr 17, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #43 of 55
If you like sabbath during the Dio-era you should listen to Astral Doors. The singer is excellent and sound very similar to dio. Similar as in the same sound and as good as the original. All their albums are good. If you try Astralism, make sure to listen to the remastered version as it is much better sounding.

Apr 19, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #44 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by phosfiend /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Sword - Age of Winters

Awesome album. Great riffs.

If you want music to beat you over the head then try Lair of the Minotaur "The Ultimate Destroyer". I don't know that either are "classics" or something on the level of Opeth musically, but they sure are fun, especially if you like the sound a guitar makes.

Apr 20, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #45 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by gp_hebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An awesome metal album that has just been released is "The Origins Of Ruin" by the band Redemption. Kind of a mix between Fates Warning and Dream Theater, but darker and very introspective.

thank you for leading me to my new favorite album....this is some of the best music i have ever heard....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back