WANT TO UPGRADE FROM SONY MA900
Jul 2, 2017 at 6:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

vidzegg

Head-Fier
Hi fellow Headfiers,

I am a semi audiophile and have tried a few headphones in the past ( SRH 840, ATH- M50, DT 990 pro, Pioneer MJ 591, IEMs like DBA-02 mk II, MEElectronics A161P, UE 600v etc). I have settled down on Sony MA 900 with E17 for everyday use (mainstream music, you tube videos, movies) for last couple of years because i like its comfort, open soundstage and warm sound.

Now, i can afford more high end headphones and so upgraded to HD650. To my surprise, i did not like it much because of really small sound stage and returned it a few days. After some more research, I ordered Koss ESP 950. I must say that i liked the electrostatic clarity and mid focused sound. It also has decent sound stage. However, It is somewhat lacking in bass and I find myself going back to MA 900 especially for movies.

So my question is, what would be real upgrade from MA 900 ? its proving harder than i thought.
My priorities are comfort, quality bass, nice mids, decent amount of detail and wide sound stage. budget is 1000$

i have already ruled out LCD-2( comfort), Senn HD 800 (treble spike, analytical), PHILIPS FIDELIO X2 (mids recessed), Oppo PM1 (heavy, modest soundstage) and focal Elear ( heavy, mids hole)

Any feedback is welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back