Want to upgrade from my akg k240s'. Looking to spend ~$150. Need advice!
Oct 8, 2011 at 10:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mjcarrxx12xx

New Head-Fier
Hi all, longtime lurker but decided to make my first post.  I have a pair of akg 240 studios that i have been listening to and pleasantly enjoying for about 6 months.  After researching on this site i also added a fiio E7 amp/dac and have been enjoying that as well.  I have really been wanting to upgrade and have done some searching on this site but due to lack of availability in my city i can't really find a place to try out different  cans.  My question is, what are the best headphones i can get for around $150?  My music listening consists of just about everything but mostly indie rock, reggae, folk, and blues.  My current headphones are semi open but i'm thinking i want to go full open back since i love wide soundstage.  I also want the headphone to sound great with my fiio E7 since i cant really spend money on an expensive amp at the moment.  I've been looking at the audio technica ath ad-700's but the reviews have been mixed.  Any advice will be appreciated.

Oct 8, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #2 of 5
Yep, you're going to struggle.

$150 spend for a totally open, big sound-stage headphone with limited amping to replace
your perfectly good AKG 240 but you won't consider the AD700?

Sorry mate, just being realistic.

G

Oct 8, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #3 of 5
i never said i wasn't considering the ad700's, i've just seen mixed reviews on them and was wondering if they are worth getting considering my current status.  Also, would a better amp maybe be the better purchase than new headphones?

Oct 8, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
i never said i wasn't considering the ad700's, i've just seen mixed reviews on them and was wondering if they are worth getting considering my current status.  Also, would a better amp maybe be the better purchase than new headphones?

E9 would be a nice complement to get the best out of your current setup, and set you up nicely for future cans if
the budget is tight at the moment.

Oct 9, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #5 of 5
You have to say more than just "best" because that's totally subjective.  What you wind up asking without realizing it is "what is your favorite headphone for 150"?  Which is fairly useless except that most people here will recommend stuff that's technically more proficient than what you'd find at Best Buy.  But you'll have to do some thinking about what kind of sound signature you want.  Make a list of things you like and dislike about the bass, mids and treble of the K240s. 

Otherwise you might as well just buy whatever...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back