Want to Jump in open-back headphones :D
Feb 17, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #17 of 24
Search in the fiio forums for that, tons of information. Use the search function. Tubes are a whole different world that will cost you money along the way. No experience with them, sorry. Solid states are non tube amps like the magni. I just saw a listing of 400i for 285 if you're interested and all.

Feb 17, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #19 of 24
I guess since I brought it up I should clarify a bit. Solid State amps use circuits with semiconductor components (like your phone, computer, or pretty much any other space age do-dad). As such their goal is simply to amplify the analog signal as cleanly as possible.

Tube amps use vacuum tubes which are the pre-semiconductor diode in the amplification circuit. Since the vacuum tube is not nearly as efficient or accurate as the semiconductor diode it adds some coloration to your sound (usually warmness which is why it pairs well with more neutral phones like HD 600). Due the variation in vacuum tube construction/materials there is a large market for vacuum tubes that introduce different sorts of coloration which can be swapped out whenever the user likes (Think of it as a hardware EQ rather than software EQ).

Hybrid amps utilize both solid state components and tube components trying to bridge the strengths of both, the raw amplification power of Solid State and the coloration of tubes.

That's the gist of it. Also I think the 17K just introduces the LED screen and some other features I think they are equivalent spec-wise.

Also +1 for picking up the 400i, it's a great phone.

Feb 17, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #20 of 24
Really? I'm interested :D
Also, does Paypal Credit work for purchases?
I might buy another pair of cans if I make this purchase.

As i said, go into a specific forum like for sale headphones and use search function. Best method is paypal, don't gift though because if something goes wrong Paypal won't help you if you gift.

Refer to http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide and https://reddit.com/r/headphones/wiki/recommendations for more headphones by price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back