Want to get a new portable 'phone—or two. Is the HA-S500 or HA-S400 much of an upgrade over the KSC75?
Aug 22, 2013 at 1:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Aillas

Head-Fier
As the title says, I wish to get a new 'phone or two for portable use. I'll be using them with my Clip+.

ATM my go-to portable 'phone is the KSC75 (not with the clips—clips don't work for me—with Portapros frames) and, while they sound great, they leak lots of sound which makes them unsuitable for public use. Another problem I have with the KSC75 is their bass quantity; there's too much of it. I'm more fond of bass quality than bass quantity. As long as bass sounds good, I'm content with very little of it.

So: Would it be worth it to get the HA-S500 or HA-S400 to replace my KSC75? Would that be more of an upgrade, or a sidegrade (or, perhaps, a downgrade)?

Aug 22, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #2 of 7
I can't recommend the S400 entirely because I haven't actually heard it, but I do have the S500 and thought I should warn that there is rather a lot of bass and probably won't be your favourite if you're not into that. The bass is good quality, but it's also rather ample. The S400 is aupposed to have less bass and more present mids.

Aug 22, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #3 of 7
As the title says, I wish to get a new 'phone or two for portable use. I'll be using them with my Clip+.

ATM my go-to portable 'phone is the KSC75 (not with the clips—clips don't work for me—with Portapros frames) and, while they sound great, they leak lots of sound which makes them unsuitable for public use. Another problem I have with the KSC75 is their bass quantity; there's too much of it. I'm more fond of bass quality than bass quantity. As long as bass sounds good, I'm content with very little of it.

So: Would it be worth it to get the HA-S500 or HA-S400 to replace my KSC75? Would that be more of an upgrade, or a sidegrade (or, perhaps, a downgrade)?

I own the HA S400s, and heres my impression after burn in hours equivalent to 7 days:

Note that im still on stock earpads and ive yet to change it to akg or ath pads.

1). Bass is controlled... Tight, fast, no sloppiness, not thick though definitely not lacking.
2). Mids is this headphone's forte. Clear and upfront, non fatiguing
3). Highs to me is smooth, but maybe blunted for those who come from or used to sound of sony mdr 7506.
4). Soundstage is ok for its class (closed, on-ear)

this balanced sounding $25 portable headphone can output sound that can punch above a class or two... or even three (in price).

Aug 23, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
Quote:

I own the HA S400s, and heres my impression after burn in hours equivalent to 7 days:

Note that im still on stock earpads and ive yet to change it to akg or ath pads.

1). Bass is controlled... Tight, fast, no sloppiness, not thick though definitely not lacking.
2). Mids is this headphone's forte. Clear and upfront, non fatiguing
3). Highs to me is smooth, but maybe blunted for those who come from or used to sound of sony mdr 7506.
4). Soundstage is ok for its class (closed, on-ear)

this balanced sounding $25 portable headphone can output sound that can punch above a class or two... or even three (in price).

Wow—this 'phone sounds so promising.

I guess I can put up with quite a bit of bass since this 'phone seems to do well in so many areas.

How well does it isolate? Is it a good 'phone to use in public?

Lastly, if anyone here has the CAL!: How does this 'phone compare to it? I believe I came across someone who claimed that the sound signature of this and the CAL! is quite similar. If true, it's amazing considering the price difference between these two 'phones.

Aug 23, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #5 of 7
I had the S400 for about 4 weeks.  Returned it because the headband hurt the top of my head.  TheBoss nailed the sound signature.  I would still have it if it weren't for the discomfort.  I now own the CAL! which I LOVE.  I won't do a sound comparison from memory (which wouldn't be accurate).  But, I can say that the comfort is SO much better with the CAL!.  I can wear it for hours without discomfort.  I would also note that if you need isolation the CAL! would NOT be a good choice.  The S400s would be better for that.  For home or office though I would highly recommend the CAL!.

Aug 23, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
I had the S400 for about 4 weeks.  Returned it because the headband hurt the top of my head.  TheBoss nailed the sound signature.  I would still have it if it weren't for the discomfort.  I now own the CAL! which I LOVE.  I won't do a sound comparison from memory (which wouldn't be accurate).  But, I can say that the comfort is SO much better with the CAL!.  I can wear it for hours without discomfort.  I would also note that if you need isolation the CAL! would NOT be a good choice.  The S400s would be better for that.  For home or office though I would highly recommend the CAL!.

Yikes. I hope I won't experience those comfort issues.

I actually own, and love, the CAL! I paid about $100—probably more than what most people pay—for them. But I don't at all regret it; they're great.

I asked for a comparison of the CAL! and the S400/S500 as I'd love to use a more portable alternative to the CAL! when in public.

Aug 23, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #7 of 7
Wow—this 'phone sounds so promising.

I guess I can put up with quite a bit of bass since this 'phone seems to do well in so many areas.

How well does it isolate? Is it a good 'phone to use in public?

Lastly, if anyone here has the CAL!: How does this 'phone compare to it? I believe I came across someone who claimed that the sound signature of this and the CAL! is quite similar. If true, it's amazing considering the price difference between these two 'phones.

I don't usually listen to headphones in public places..... But they sure don't leak out sound if you're in, let's say, the library.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back