Want fix damaged mylar in HFM driver
Feb 5, 2019 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

bagwell359

Headphoneus Supremus
OK, I bought these old HE-5LE's. In one driver I noticed today that there is a small rip near the outer edge. I know I can't glue or tape them with anything common since the extra mass will change the sound perhaps considerably and probably not do much for the actual problem. kapton seems to be an option but it still a bit thick. Mylar and polyimide look to be thinner actually.

I see three other options, in order:

Try and clamp the damaged area from both sides with the same or similar material that is used around the edges now, and secure them to the current edge material. This could only work if the damage is close to the edge.

Get the membranes/traces out of my MD 4**, and try those. They appear to be roughly similar.

The other plan would be to get the trace off the damaged mylar, and locate sheet mylar that would match it. My guess is that its 2-6 microns thick, need the correct glue too. I'm sure even with accurate data this would be difficult.

Tips? Ideas? Thanks

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 3:11 AM Post #3 of 13
There is very little happening sound-wise at the outer edge of an orthodynamic diaphragm. I wouldn't worry much about altering the frequency response by making one little bit of it heavier.

I agree that we need pictures.

Feb 6, 2019 at 6:42 AM Post #4 of 13
There is very little happening sound-wise at the outer edge of an orthodynamic diaphragm. I wouldn't worry much about altering the frequency response by making one little bit of it heavier.

I agree that we need pictures.
he said "on the edge", he want to glue the edge and make the diaphragm little bit shorter but without the hole on the side?

I definitely sure that he cant fix this and may damage it even more.

Feb 8, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #5 of 13
send picture...
maybe repair 2 drivers in the company.
are you sure that the driver tore ?

yes it's ripped. Jagged, about 1/3" long, pic tomorrow. thanks for reply.

Feb 8, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #6 of 13
he said "on the edge", he want to glue the edge and make the diaphragm little bit shorter but without the hole on the side?

I definitely sure that he cant fix this and may damage it even more.

Top pic: locate the 5 screws on top, 2nd from left, look down a bit to lower right.

DSCN2226.JPG DSCN2228.JPG

2nd pic: same locale, that 'black' hole with two small 'silver dots" in it.

Sorry my camera sucks at night...

No, near the edge. no glue unless its on a very thin (.5 mil or less) sheet with uniform adhesive. Shoud it be metalized too, or is there enough on the membrane?

i now think applying the smallest adhesive patch piece (small in physical size and weight) along with a firm clamping may do the job.

It's a rip, no material missing, if I can get the frame clamped to work on it, I should be able to apply a patch piece on it, and get the ripped pieces into correct order lying on it.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 12:47 AM Post #7 of 13
I think that there is no ripped parts. If there was then after activation of the sound it will destroy immediately, all the diaphragm will rip
maybe It just colored black.

I suggest you leave it as is.

You might to unscrew all the system, This part is too hard!

Maybe it some dust cover or other layer then diaphragm that damaged

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 6:50 AM Post #8 of 13
It's bad pics. I'll get the tripod out and get the right lighting, with the naked eye its clearly ripped all the way through.

That video looks like Tyll with this very model, no time to look at it now, but later for sure - thanks.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #9 of 13
2nd screw from bottom - diag up right in this angle. artificial light glare really keeps me from getting the right shot. it's thru I can see it even if I can't get it in a pic

Attachments

• DSCN2234.JPG
    DSCN2234.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN2237.JPG
    DSCN2237.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Feb 9, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #10 of 13
I see the black area but cant see any damage...

Do heard with it any music before?

If you will glue it, I DONT KNOW HOW, maybe epoxy.
You have to unscrew it all (remembering that the magnets build on each plate everywhere and the screws and nuts from metal that can destroy the diaphragm and they attracting to the magnet )

GNPOerJ.jpg

* I think that it impossible to fix it.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #11 of 13
OK,
2nd screw from bottom - diag up right in this angle. artificial light glare really keeps me from getting the right shot. it's thru I can see it even if I can't get it in a pic

The pics didn't come over, let me try again. starts at the two silver dots and runs like an upside down "L"

I'm thinking 3 micron polyimide with an adhesive backing.

What are the odds i can take off the etching off the membrane, get the right sort of glue and membrane and rebuild it?

DSCN2236.JPG

Feb 10, 2019 at 7:41 PM Post #13 of 13
Thanks all. I've done a lot of research since you folks started to answer me. There appears to be a way according to some entries in DIY Maggie pages. I'm on vacation soon, I'll order some stuff up and hopefully before April I'll have some news.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back