Want a good 2.1 setup, but I'm confused on setup and quality.
Dec 31, 2012 at 9:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Ponygrenadier

New Head-Fier
Good day,

I have been looking for a good set of computer speakers for a while, but after looking around (on head-fi and some other sources) I began thinking about "building" my own set.

These are the components I've chosen:

Polk Monitor 30s, $113:
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-AM3025-A-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B0002ZSFTG

[size=1.7em] Polk Audio PSW10, $80[/size]

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-10-Inch-Monitor-Subwoofer/dp/B0002KVQBA/ref=pd_sim_e_1

I have a couple of questions, though:

• Do you guys think these two components are any good?
  • Do you have better suggestions for around the same price?
  • Would it be better than just getting some Klipsch ProMedias?
  • Do I need an amp? A receiver?
  • What should I look for in an amp/receiver? Any suggestions?

Dec 31, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #2 of 7
It depends, as you do require amplification.  You could get away with a stereo desktop amplifier, if your subwoofer takes high level inputs and filters out the bass.  If not, you can try and find a desktop amp with subwoofer output, such as a TCA Gizmo or go with a receiver.

I would go with the book shelf and subwoofer option also.  The receiver is probably the best way to go but I would look for a 5.1 receiver with multi-channel analog input.  This way you have options to upgrade in the future if you want.  Such receivers are very cheap these days....

Which speakers and subwoofer you go for is up to you based on your budget.

Dec 31, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #3 of 7
Good day,

I have been looking for a good set of computer speakers for a while, but after looking around (on head-fi and some other sources) I began thinking about "building" my own set.

These are the components I've chosen:

Polk Monitor 30s, $113:
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-AM3025-A-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B0002ZSFTG
ir

[size=1.7em]Polk Audio PSW10, $80[/size]

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-10-Inch-Monitor-Subwoofer/dp/B0002KVQBA/ref=pd_sim_e_1
ir

I have a couple of questions, though:

1. Do you guys think these two components are any good?
  2. Do you have better suggestions for around the same price?
  3. Would it be better than just getting some Klipsch ProMedias?
  4. Do I need an amp? A receiver?
  5. What should I look for in an amp/receiver? Any suggestions?

What amp were you thinking about to use with the polks?

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
It depends, as you do require amplification.  You could get away with a stereo desktop amplifier, if your subwoofer takes high level inputs and filters out the bass.  If not, you can try and find a desktop amp with subwoofer output, such as a TCA Gizmo or go with a receiver.

I would go with the book shelf and subwoofer option also.  The receiver is probably the best way to go but I would look for a 5.1 receiver with multi-channel analog input.  This way you have options to upgrade in the future if you want.  Such receivers are very cheap these days....

Which speakers and subwoofer you go for is up to you based on your budget.

Is a headphone amplifier and a desktop amplifier the same thing?

Jan 1, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
Is a headphone amplifier and a desktop amplifier the same thing?

no, not at all.

You could just go for a powered speaker like audioengine's.  I have the a5's which are out of your price range but they have cheaper models, they are self powered, and I have no need for a sub with mine.  That polk system is nice for the price but still not all that good.  I really don't like polk sub's though.

Jan 1, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
no, not at all.

You could just got for a powered amp like audioengine's.  I have the a5's which are out of your price range but they have cheaper models, they are self powered, and I have no need for a sub with mine.  That polk system is nice for the price but still not all that good.  I really don't like polk sub's though.

+1

Never heard them (want them though) but the A2's are supposed to be really good for the price and you don't need a separate amp to power them.  They are 80$ more expensive than the Polk's but again you won't need to buy an amp for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back