Wanna get an SACD player that will trump my Meridian 588...
Aug 21, 2004 at 11:59 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidmiya
The title says it all. I'm itching to buy some SACDs and I want a player that will easily sound much better than what I have now without going over $2000.

If you can get a Krell SACD Standard used, that is where I will start, what is your take on the musical presentation of the 588?

Aug 22, 2004 at 5:15 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by theaudiohobby
If you can get a Krell SACD Standard used, that is where I will start, what is your take on the musical presentation of the 588?

I actually really like the Meridian 588. Though, I just want more of what the 588 has to offer: more detail, more liquidity, more speed, less digitalis.

Aug 22, 2004 at 5:36 AM Post #4 of 6
David:

SA-CD sounds so analogue, so natural, so real, and so non-fatiguing that the illusion of reel-to-reel tape or vinyl is real enough for me.

If you want a pure audio Red Book CD and SA-CD player, then consider the Marantz SA-8400. It is well under $2000 USD. Do a search on http://www.ecoustics.com for reviews on it. Also, go get the October 2004 edition of Stereophile. There is the new Marantz Red Book CD and SA-CD player called the premium or something. I think I read it in Sam Tellig's column. I don't know what the price is or its' scheduled arrival in the USA but it is worth looking into some detail.

Otherwise, a universal DVD player will hold its own depending on which stock manufacturer / model you get and whether you can afford aftermarket heavy modifications. I'd say you should check out the Marantz DV-8400 or Denon DVD 5900 (which is discontinued) but my first recommendation is the Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi or Pioneer DV-868AVi. People say that Pioneer Elite comprises many a reference standard for professional HI-FI reviewers and that the HiBit/Legato PRO features compare favorably to Wadia.

Aug 22, 2004 at 6:17 AM Post #5 of 6
SIE's modded denon sounded better than any of the meridian stuff I heard at the socal meet. Price is pretty low if i remember correctly too. PM him and ask about it.

Aug 22, 2004 at 10:49 AM Post #6 of 6
Get one of the Sony 999ES and have the Modwright tube mods done on it. Total package around $2K. No contest when compared to my 508.24. I also thought the sacdmods 555ES redbook (1300.00 total) was better than my 508.24 when compared side by side. The sacd next to the Meridian was NOT EVEN CLOSE. Much, much better.
You can pick up the 999ES used on audiogon for around 600.00. I also found them new for 750.00. The mods are around 1300.00.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back