Wanna buy the Stax sr009, should I?
Apr 21, 2011 at 6:44 AM Post #107 of 174
It could be that price Japan is not on the first batch. Because when I pulled out of the preorder list at Fujiya Avic, they told I would likely have to wait until end of may if I was to put my name down again.
Also, there might be some delays even in the first batch because of the recent events. Unfortunately, this isn't gonna get any easier as we roll into the summer because Tokyo will get back into rolling power cuts as demand will peak due to scorching summers over here...

Those who ordered early made a smart move imo, I am soo disappointed I had to pull out!

Apr 21, 2011 at 7:22 AM Post #108 of 174
By curiosity I looked at the Fujiya Avic website. It is not easy to navigate on it but I could not find any reference to the SR009?
I have been told that the Stax production capacities are not affected by the earthquake. I think the Stax company is based near Tokyo but hopefully the parts are build somewhere else?

Apr 21, 2011 at 8:26 AM Post #110 of 174
Is it 50 worldwide?
That is a very limited production indeed 
blink.gif

Apr 21, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #111 of 174
Good - my one will be shipped tomorrow...
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #114 of 174
Apr 21, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #115 of 174

Quote:
Did you buy it from a local Stax reseller?

Nah, one of the Japanese guys on ebay. Not without risk, but so far never had any problems...
tongue.gif

Apr 21, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #117 of 174
Congrats...so the SR009 domination of the headphones world has begun!

Apr 21, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #120 of 174

You really need to hear these phones on other amps to be sure that this set-up is satisfactory. In my trials the SRM3 amp made an 007A sound mushy but listenable, the SRM1MK2 was fairly decent, the 717 moved these phones up to another level and the BHSE to yet another level.   I lust after a BHSE but with kids starting college I could not get away with such a purchase.

Quote:
[size=small]Subject:  Amplifier for SR-009 and electrostatic headphones in general.[/size]
[size=small]Currently, I’m listening to my Omega SR-007 phones with a SRM-252.  IMO, for low & normal listening volume levels, the result is more than satisfactory.  [/size]
[size=small]SR-009 is now on order.[/size]
[size=small]The circuit topology and solid-state devices used are essentially the same as the SRM 323 amp (I have the schematic).  Mainly, what’s  different is the power supply, and the output stage bias – more voltage swing and current drive capability.  [/size]
[size=small]An electrostatic transducer basically presents a capacitive load to an amplifier.  For a given sound pressure level, output drive current is proportional to frequency, or rate of change of voltage (I = C dv/dt).  [/size]
[size=small]I feel that heroic output power capability (high current * voltage) provided by the far more expensive power amps is not really needed at normal listening levels (for me, anyway) – as long as the electrostatic amp behaves well with very low distortion at small to moderate voltage swings.  I’ve listened to tube (I have a Stax tube amp also) and solid state amps, and feel that the well-designed Stax SRM-323S should offer all the amp power  I need,  even for the SR-009 (yes, perhaps a radical opinion).   Even the lowly STAX SRM-252 amp is direct coupled, with no coupling caps in the path – IMO, a remarkably nice sounding design.  I understand that the SRM-323 is well regarded ...[/size]
[size=small]I used to feel that tubes were somehow naturally better than solid state – not any more.   [/size]
[size=small]I've read that solid state might be more compatible with the new SR-009 compared to the previous Omegas (initial listening impressions were posted, as I recall) [/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back