Walkman NWZ F886 officialy announced!! [192khz/24bits]
Nov 29, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #556 of 1,472
Could you also compare to an IPod classic last gen?

Nov 29, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #557 of 1,472
Sorry, I've got no experience with the Classic. Only the iPhone 1-5, Sony RH-1, DX50 and my Kramer 6410 DAC. FWIW I think the Sony is a good DAP, with a really pleasing form factor, mature FW, and great SQ. In that respect, it makes for a great (cost effective) alternative to the iPhone/ipod touch/etc. since you won't deal with the crashing and generally aggravating quirks of something like the DX50. The tactile buttons are also very useful if you don't plan on jailbreaking and assigning auxiliary functions to the volume buttons (like FF/FW). My advice would be to wait it out for domestic release so you can return it if you don't feel it's personally up to snuff

Edit: oh yeah, and I really do like some of the DSP options as well, such as studio, hall, and matrix. Really cool settings that are quite evocative of live music and I can see myself forcing some of these settings on certain tracks to reproduce that "live" feeling

Nov 29, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #558 of 1,472
Sorry, I've got no experience with the Classic. Only the iPhone 1-5, Sony RH-1, DX50 and my Kramer 6410 DAC. FWIW I think the Sony is a good DAP, with a really pleasing form factor, mature FW, and great SQ. In that respect, it makes for a great (cost effective) alternative to the iPhone/ipod touch/etc. since you won't deal with the crashing and generally aggravating quirks of something like the DX50. The tactile buttons are also very useful if you don't plan on jailbreaking and assigning auxiliary functions to the volume buttons (like FF/FW). My advice would be to wait it out for domestic release so you can return it if you don't feel it's personally up to snuff

Edit: oh yeah, and I really do like some of the DSP options as well, such as studio, hall, and matrix. Really cool settings that are quite evocative of live music and I can see myself forcing some of these settings on certain tracks to reproduce that "live" feeling

The studio one is really a nail on the spot, it really makes shine my XBA-30 and the music feels much vivid, I'm wondering what exactly is doing because I tried to replicate the same results with the EQ but I simply couldn't match it.

Nov 29, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #560 of 1,472
The studio one is really a nail on the spot, it really makes shine my XBA-30 and the music feels much vivid, I'm wondering what exactly is doing because I tried to replicate the same results with the EQ but I simply couldn't match it.

I agree, I know that the studio setting is NOT what the recording engineer envisioned from a spatial perspective but it's just addicting how immersive music feels thru it. In that sense, the F886 offers an experience unlike any other DAP I've come across in that it can transform your earphones into something more akin to a tower speaker set up; the sensation feels very "out of the head", and the "hall" setting has bowled me over on a few recordings.

I take it that's the MZ-RH1 ( Hi-MD Player ) How does this compare ?

Yeah! I was a big fan of MD back in the day haha. The F886 and the RH-1 have a fairly similar sound sig since I believe they share the same digital amp technology, and I think the F886 is the successor in the S Master lineage. I can offer some comparisons later since the RH-1 is at home at the moment

Nov 29, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #561 of 1,472
I agree, I know that the studio setting is NOT what the recording engineer envisioned from a spatial perspective but it's just addicting how immersive music feels thru it. In that sense, the F886 offers an experience unlike any other DAP I've come across in that it can transform your earphones into something more akin to a tower speaker set up; the sensation feels very "out of the head", and the "hall" setting has bowled me over on a few recordings.
Yeah! I was a big fan of MD back in the day haha. The F886 and the RH-1 have a fairly similar sound sig since I believe they share the same digital amp technology, and I think the F886 is the successor in the S Master lineage. I can offer some comparisons later since the RH-1 is at home at the moment

Thank you for the feedback. I still use my MZ-RH1 ( Using right now ! ) It's my favourite player. I love mini disc, I have one other Sony player & a Sharp's model.
The great sound of the RH1, is clearly down to the digital amp. I will be receiving the F886 on Monday. If it turns out to be better than the RH1 i'll be very pleased !

Nov 29, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #562 of 1,472
I am loving my 886 i compared it to my 806 before i sold it and its a lot better.Better, tighter bass and bigger soundstage not to mention a better faster ui.Have been using it with my Grado gr8 and i must have had wax in my ears when i didnt think it had enough power to drive them,the walkman is miles better than the ipod classic,and a great alternative to my x3,for using spotify and play music

Nov 29, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #563 of 1,472
Thank you for the feedback. I still use my MZ-RH1 ( Using right now ! ) It's my favourite player. I love mini disc, I have one other Sony player & a Sharp's model.
The great sound of the RH1, is clearly down to the digital amp. I will be receiving the F886 on Monday. If it turns out to be better than the RH1 i'll be very pleased !

My favorite player was the Sharp DR-07. I was so bummed when I learned that Sharp wouldn't be offering a Hi-MD successor to their Auvi line, or any successor DAPs in general. That was such an amazing little player with exceptional, tank-like build quality. Probably my favorite audio gadget ever. My RH-1 has seen better days, the jog switch is hopelessly busted (it sometimes fast forwards instead of simply playing), and the remote is suffering from the same glitches. I've never been as impressed by Sony's MD offerings as I have been by Sharp and Kenwood's. Anywho, if you liked the RH-1 it's safe to say you'll enjoy the F886; it has that same crisp, detailed sound that excels at instrumental separation

Nov 29, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #564 of 1,472
My favorite player was the Sharp DR-07. I was so bummed when I learned that Sharp wouldn't be offering a Hi-MD successor to their Auvi line, or any successor DAPs in general. That was such an amazing little player with exceptional, tank-like build quality. Probably my favorite audio gadget ever. My RH-1 has seen better days, the jog switch is hopelessly busted (it sometimes fast forwards instead of simply playing), and the remote is suffering from the same glitches. I've never been as impressed by Sony's MD offerings as I have been by Sharp and Kenwood's. Anywho, if you liked the RH-1 it's safe to say you'll enjoy the F886; it has that same crisp, detailed sound that excels at instrumental separation

I can't recall the model number of my Sharp's player, but it is built like a tank, very solid ! My RH1 is showing signs of problems, i.e. the remote, and it often goes off, with movement, quite often. ( Don't think it helped, being dropped a couple of times !! ) If I buy a ZX-1 at some point, i'd hate to drop that !!

Nov 30, 2013 at 4:44 AM Post #565 of 1,472
My expected delivery of my F886 ( for Monday ) has just turned up early ! Nice surprise ! It's made my weekend....hopefully ! ( It's just asking me for my network password....hope I've got the right name !! A few seconds will tell ! ? Never had a touch screen device before. Letters are small & close together, keep catching the wrong letter ! Hopefully will get there in the end ! ?

Nov 30, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #566 of 1,472
  My expected delivery of my F886 ( for Monday ) has just turned up early ! Nice surprise ! It's made my weekend....hopefully ! ( It's just asking me for my network password....hope I've got the right name !! A few seconds will tell ! ? Never had a touch screen device before. Letters are small & close together, keep catching the wrong letter ! Hopefully will get there in the end ! ?

Enjoy man! :D
Edit:

My SBH52 arrived this morning... and yet I cannot control volume nor I can see song title on it :frowning2: on the other hand play pause, backward and forward buttons work without redirecting the sound to bluetooth, I use it as a remote controller. SoundAbout application helps on that.

Nov 30, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #567 of 1,472
Thanks Vect, I was ! I was listening to tracks stored on my DLNA server, but kept losing signal it seems ? I transferred 3 albums from media go, previously.
Now I can't seem to access anything ?.....hold on !.....just accessed album from media go.....my disability affects "cognitive function" ( besides physical ability ) so i'm going to get very frustrated !
The options that came up on my laptop for transfer were media go & jriver ( but I only downloaded this for free trial, haven't subscribed yet. Are there any other softwear options that you could suggest, please ?
One thing I noticed was "headphone" option, i.e. headphones supplied or "others" when I clicked others for my Sony MDR-10RC phones, sound improved. ( I think ! ? )
I'll probably drive other forum members mad, asking questions for help / advice !! ( lol )

PS I'm not sure if my files that transferred to media go, are FLAC files ? They are on my winamp softwear. ( via conversion )

Nov 30, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #568 of 1,472
No experience of syncing over wifi but would it not be easier to connect via usb and do it that way?  Looks like you were lucky to get it as it's now out of stock again on the site and the amazon price is refusing to budge!

Nov 30, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #569 of 1,472
  Thanks Vect, I was ! I was listening to tracks stored on my DLNA server, but kept losing signal it seems ? I transferred 3 albums from media go, previously.
Now I can't seem to access anything ?.....hold on !.....just accessed album from media go.....my disability affects "cognitive function" ( besides physical ability ) so i'm going to get very frustrated !
The options that came up on my laptop for transfer were media go & jriver ( but I only downloaded this for free trial, haven't subscribed yet. Are there any other softwear options that you could suggest, please ?
One thing I noticed was "headphone" option, i.e. headphones supplied or "others" when I clicked others for my Sony MDR-10RC phones, sound improved. ( I think ! ? )
I'll probably drive other forum members mad, asking questions for help / advice !! ( lol )

PS I'm not sure if my files that transferred to media go, are FLAC files ? They are on my winamp softwear. ( via conversion )

As David cotton suggested I think is better to USB just to be sure, but in any case, when playing a file with the Walkman app you can just swipe left while playing a file and you can see all its properties, including the codec used.

Also yes, please disable ClearAudio+ in sound adjustments, as well as DSEE, ClearStereo and ClearPhase (specially if you are not using the supplied headphones) then you can play with the EQ no problem. Highly recommended, check the Surround Sound options, they really give a nice touch to the music, but again... I don't know what kind of processing they are doing.

Also... lol 2: the SBH52 displays songs and everything (but can't control volume) on everything that's not the Walkman App, including PowerAmp. Lol.

Nov 30, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #570 of 1,472

As David cotton suggested I think is better to USB just to be sure, but in any case, when playing a file with the Walkman app you can just swipe left while playing a file and you can see all its properties, including the codec used.

Also yes, please disable ClearAudio+ in sound adjustments, as well as DSEE, ClearStereo and ClearPhase (specially if you are not using the supplied headphones) then you can play with the EQ no problem. Highly recommended, check the Surround Sound options, they really give a nice touch to the music, but again... I don't know what kind of processing they are doing.

Also... lol 2: the SBH52 displays songs and everything (but can't control volume) on everything that's not the Walkman App, including PowerAmp. Lol.

Thank you David & Vect for your help. ( Yes David, noticed it was out of stock again. To be honest my packaging looked a little suspect. A sticker had clearly been taken off the front, leaving some of the backing, and the box appears a little battered on top flap. )
Anyway, I came across the DLNA menu by chance. ( like everything I do ! ) and just clicked it. As I said transferred 3 files from media go. ( One file was / had been converted to dsf ? on jriver, and this is in my High Resolution Folder on Media Go. ( So I decided to transfer that, it took a long time to transfer, but as far as i'm aware those type of files will ?
Thanks for the swiping info Vect, the media go files are FLAC, so i'll just use this softwear. I'll type in the web address for the full instructions. ( not that it will probably help me anymore ! ? )
I came across audio options earlier ( can't seem to find it again now....MUST WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN !! ) and clicked ClearAudio+and DSEE ( briefly....and didn't like it....so as you say, disable seems the best option ? )
I have the volume turned full up, and I wish it was a little louder. ( but I recall yourself & Noble G posting about Android volume setting and player volume setting ( two settings ? )
Inbetween listening & battling fatigue, i'll continue to explore......I MIGHT EVEN GET ROUND TO SAYING, WHAT I THINK IT SOUNDS LIKE !! LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back