walkaround earbuds - less isolation needed
Mar 5, 2006 at 12:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

monkeygod

100+ Head-Fier
hey all,

so i'm in the unusual position of needing some 'less good' earbuds - specifically something that is *not* completely isolating.

i upgraded from the ER4P's to the Sensa's last year, and while I'd gotten used to the emphasized treble/highs of the Etys, the Sensa's are *much* better in almost every other regard.

my problem is that the Sensa's, being custom mold IEM's, just aren't suitable for every day walking around. one reason i went with the Sensaphonics is their build quality lets me throw them in my pocket without worrying too much (my ety's started to look pretty bedraggled after 2 years abuse) - however the isolation has proved to be a little dangerous on more than one occasion
wink.gif

what i'm looking for is a pair of earbuds that, while SOUNDING good, and have enough isolation to let me hear music while on the subway, aren't so completely muffled so as to let me avoid cars when crossing the street - or at least let me be aware of people talking to me, even if I can't exactly hear what they're saying
wink.gif
Robust build quality is also a must. Comfort is a big plus (no tri-flanges, just soft shells or foamies)

UE5 Pros, E4c's and Westone UM1's seem to be the contenders - opinions/comments ?

Mar 5, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #2 of 4
Yikes. Tough requirement. I can't think of a earphone that will a) sound good, b) not isolate too much, c) and do both of these while letting you hear music on the subway.

There are shallow semi-IEMs like the Sennheiser CX300, Sony ex71/ex81, JVC FX55, or Panasonic HJE70. These would do what you need, but won't sound as great as real IEMs.

The UE super.fi5 looks like a possibility since it has similar tips as semi-IEMs like the ex81 and CX300...but I haven't experienced its isolation myself.

Mar 5, 2006 at 3:21 AM Post #3 of 4
yeah, i've used the ex71s for years - cheap and decent. very comfy. but the sound quality compared to what i've become accustomed to is a little tinny
wink.gif

so something that sounds better and has a little more isolation than those would work. i have used them on subways, and they have *almost* enough isolation for me
wink.gif

Mar 5, 2006 at 3:38 AM Post #4 of 4
I don't think the particular headphone will matter as much as the tip. I use um1's with comply tips, and can hear ok when I turn off the music. Before I get on a bus I just turn off the music in case the bus driver says something, or if someone starts talking to me. Sometimes it sounds muffled but at least I know when someone says something so I can take the phones out. Unless I turn the music way up I can still hear faint sounds, enough to know I should take out the phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back