Wadia iTransport iPod Dock Gets Bit-Perfect Digital from iPods!
Mar 30, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #256 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After following this thread for months I just keep getting more confused as to whether I should get this product. I don't understand most of the technical jargon. I want to use my iPod as part of my home system. I don't want to use my Pico for this purpose. Should I be able to hook this up to my Rotel RSX-1058 or do I need to purchase a DAC unit to use it?

You don't need to purchase a DAC. The Rotel has a DAC in it. Just need a cable from the itransport to the Wadia.

Mar 30, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #257 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't need to purchase a DAC. The Rotel has a DAC in it. Just need a cable from the itransport to the Wadia.

Thanks! I was hoping that was the case. I guess I have a variety of cable options...?

Mar 30, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #258 of 428
Quote:

Thanks! I was hoping that was the case. I guess I have a variety of cable options...?

No worries
smily_headphones1.gif

You'll need a 75 ohm S/PDIF coaxial cable (not optical / toslink). It will go from number 2 here:

itransport_1.jpg

To one of the three digital coaxial inputs here, 5th, 6th and 7th "holes" on the 2nd row down (1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4thh are for toslink which the itransport doesn't output):

rsx1058_back.jpg

Mar 30, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #259 of 428
I would get this cable:

Digital Audio Cables at Blue Jeans Cable

Pick the 3rd set of options, the Belden 1505F Digital Audio Cable
(high-flex cable) and get what length and color you want with RCA/RCA termination.

The cheaper one is not as flexible and even if you spend hundreds on a digital cable, maybe you won't hear a difference. Would be interesting to try and hear though, I have no experience with digital cables.

Mar 31, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #262 of 428
If you preordered at 350 or so, what is the outcome?

Mar 31, 2008 at 8:43 AM Post #264 of 428
Quote:

Steve,
Thank you so much for your time. This hand-holding is, unfortunately, what I needed with this. I appreciate it a great deal.

No worries at all, I know exactly how you feel, there's heaps things I need help with and it's great when someone does, just returning the head-fi karma! Let me know if you want any more help with anything.

Apr 1, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #267 of 428
Mher6;4023201 said:
If this sounds as good as any of the Wadia CDP's (or even close), I'm getting this for my college dorm.

QUOTE]

Technically it shouldn't sound like anything at all, it will only sound as good as the DAC you plug it into.

Apr 1, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #268 of 428
stevenkelby;4023231 said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mher6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If this sounds as good as any of the Wadia CDP's (or even close), I'm getting this for my college dorm.

QUOTE]

Technically it shouldn't sound like anything at all, it will only sound as good as the DAC you plug it into.

True. I probably should have worded that statement better.

Apr 5, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #270 of 428
For $349, I'd rather it just throw out the video output functions and add in a good DAC/AMP so that we can have an headphone output option. For me Ill prolly never use the video part and $349 for just getting an s/pdif out from an ipod is not exactly justifiable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back