WA6 v WA2 v Decco65 for HD800
Oct 11, 2012 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

BadNewsBisounor

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone. I've been lurking on this forum for a couple months, and now that the upgrade bug is starting to itch, I come to you seeking advice. I've been using a HE-500 for the past couple of months either out of an old panasonic receiver (at home) or E17 when on the road. I love the sound, however, the HE-500 leaves a lot to be desired in terms of comfort, (I have a small head) especially when used for long listening sessions.
I plan to purchase an HD800 in the coming weeks, but realize that I will need to up my amp game to get the most out of them. Looking down the line, probably in 6 to 8 months or so, I plan to invest in a pair of bookshelf speakers (Think Kef R300s or similar quality active speakers). Knowing that I want to make the most economical yet future proof purchase for my burgeoning home rig, which of the following amps makes the best purchase?

Case # 1 Peachtree Dac IT -> WA6 with Preamp upgrade -> HD800/(Bookshelf speakers in the future)
 I've heard that with the appropriate rectifier tube upgrade, the WA6 can hold it's own with the HD800. Anyone care to refute or confirm? I haven't been able to find much of anything about the WA6 as a preamp, but I'm very interested in hearing someones impressions.

Case # 2 E17 DAC (WA2 is already stretching my budget) -> WA2 -> HD800/(Bookshelf speakers in the future)
I've heard nothing but good things about the WA2 as an hp amp and as a speaker preamp, so no concerns there. The issue with this solution is price and space, as it has a significantly larger footprint. Is it worth it to stretch my budget over the WA6?

Case# 3 Decco65 ->  HD800/(Bookshelf speakers in the future)
Kind of a wild card solution. I have not been able to find much on how they are as an hp amp, but seems like it may be a great multipurpose solution for my hypothetical future rig.

Kind of a marathon first post, but i would really appreciate people's input. Where I live there is nowhere to audition this kind of equipment, so I'm pretty much going exclusively on word of mouth. Thanks! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back