WA22 let's roll some tubes (Done Mod, Burnning-in)
Dec 29, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #556 of 833
Way back in this thread there was talk of a Glenn who made 6F8G to 6SN7 adaptors. Is he still around our is there someone else now? I ordered some but they'll take forever to get here from China and they look cheap.

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #557 of 833
Way back in this thread there was talk of a Glenn who made 6F8G to 6SN7 adaptors. Is he still around our is there someone else now? I ordered some but they'll take forever to get here from China and they look cheap.

http://www.head-fi.org/u/158007/2359glenn

Jan 1, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #563 of 833
Matched tubes are better, but not critical. I can't hear any difference.

This is a description of auto biasing on the PrimaLuna DiaLogue 2 amp.

[T]his circuit monitors and adjusts bias automatically. Each power tube is monitored to stay in a peak operating range. Improved performance and better sound, with distortion reduced by 40% to 50% over conventional designs. No need for matched tubes. No bias adjustments. Ever. ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ygm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So is everyone using matched power tubes as well as driver tubes in their wa22?

I'd get matched power tube if you could. I don't care too much about the driver being matched though.

Is this true, that pairs don't need to be matched? Particularly the drivers? I've asked Woo about this and have yet to get a clear answer. There is an addiction ending in less than 6 hours of unmatched tubes.

Jan 1, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #564 of 833

Matched tubes are better, but not critical. I can't hear any difference.

This is a description of auto biasing on the PrimaLuna DiaLogue 2 amp.

[T]his circuit monitors and adjusts bias automatically. Each power tube is monitored to stay in a peak operating range. Improved performance and better sound, with distortion reduced by 40% to 50% over conventional designs. No need for matched tubes. No bias adjustments. Ever. ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ygm /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So is everyone using matched power tubes as well as driver tubes in their wa22?

I'd get matched power tube if you could. I don't care too much about the driver being matched though.

Is this true, that pairs don't need to be matched? Particularly the drivers? I've asked Woo about this and have yet to get a clear answer. There is an addiction ending in less than 6 hours of unmatched tubes.

I never used matched pairs  except in the beginning because i didnt know better 

Jan 1, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #567 of 833
Jan 6, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #568 of 833
Dont need them in my amps 

I've just did the experiment for myself. I've never been able to compare matched vs unmatched pairs until now. I have two matched pair TS 5998. Both pair have beautiful holographic sound. So I swapped one tube from each making two unmatched pairs. The sound was still beautiful, with the same lushness. Just as dynamic. Just add detailed. The same tone. Everything was exactly the same except it wasn't holographic. I used the HD800S, my favorite can so far. I love it for its imaging.
I then did the same comparison with the LCD 2 and could find no difference between matched and unmatched.
For me it's a settled issue. Imaging and soundstage are very important to me. With the HD800S I could tell the difference between matched and unmatched if I ran blind trials. I am sure of it. I will only be buying matched tubes. For many phones it may not matter. As beautiful sounding as the Focal Utopia is, it has no imaging. If that were the sound I was looking for I'd save my money and buy unmatched pairs. Maybe...

Jan 13, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #569 of 833
Funny you should mention. I did this last night.

Finally got around to running 2 6BL7 tubes off the single 6080 power tube circuit on the WA22. Using the adjustable position adapter. I was hoping the adapter had enough scope to have the tubes in line. It does.

Haven't listen too much yet (a few hours). Very clean, no noise and the transformers don't get hot. I did notice a big bass jump. Amazing how much bass the WA22 can throw out. I will evaluate over the next few weeks.

It is a tight fit but everything does fit.

Are those Herbie's dampened? I notice you only have them on the driver. Is that because that particular tube needs them or do you always use them on drivers. Do you ever use them on power or rectifier tubes? I'm considering getting some but they seem pricey and wondering if/when I would use them. Is it just trial and error? What type should I get?

Jan 13, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #570 of 833
It gets even stranger when working on tube synergy. I have two beautiful sets of NU 6F8G's. They produce a wonderfully sweet sound. In a number of ways I think they are nicer than my favourite driver the TSRP 6C8G. However the NU synergy is a nightmare. They do not behave with other tubes. With a lot of tubes they buzz (an actual audiable buzz). Switch the power tubes and everything is quiet again. Unfortunately they do not behave with the best power tubes. If they did it would be a compelling sound.

I'm using the NU 6F8G with the TS 5998 and the EML mesh. Sounds great. No issues with noise. Very nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back