WA22 let's roll some tubes (Done Mod, Burnning-in)
Apr 7, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #496 of 833
  I ended up buying my WA22 back because I missed it , I sold it a short time after it was modded " Jupiter Caps "  Furutech IEC

Long story short , I sold the upgraded Power Tubes I had  TS VT231  but still had the others    

Current Tubes

Power Tubes Sylvania 7236
Driver Tubes Stock
Rectifier Tube 5AR4 Power Tubes Sylvania 7236

Question is what have you guys found to be a good driver tube since I will need to order some .....   I also ended up buying a Lio preamp with a headphone module which will be here in the morning , I want to compare the hp module to the Woo if there isnt a big difference I will probaly sell the Woo again since this will all be paet of my 2 ch setup now .

That will be an interesting comparison with the Lio. Please let us know how it goes.

Apr 21, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #497 of 833
I had a big tube rolling session last night. I managed to find a matched pair of Osram B65. I thought these were so expensive because of their rarity, but they also sound fantastic. Even though the ECC33 and ECC35 have more gain, I think I slightly prefer the B65's. Some great pairings of tubes for my setup are the following:

- GEC 6AS7G/ECC33 or ECC35/GEC 53KU
- WE 421A/Osram B65/WE 274A

A more affordable set of pairings that I also really like:
- TS 5998/Sylvania VT-231 (1940's)/Valvo/Philips GZ34

I've also found a lot of great tubes that I would consider to be quite reasonably priced:
- TS 7236/Sylvania 6SN7WGTA brown base chrome dome/Mullard CV593/GZ32

Other reasonably priced drivers: (The ones I have are all NOS): TS GTB Tall Boy, RCA 6SN7 GT Grey Glass, RCA 6SN7GTB Parallel Black Plate. Obviously there are a lot of others out there (many that I don't have)

One of the biggest problems with these old tubes is that some might be in far better condition than others, and obviously that will effect people's opinions. A lot of sellers sell "NOS" tubes that are far from NOS condition. They might advertise them as "tests as NOS", which is not the same. True NOS tubes from the 1940's/1950's that are truly mint and test strong, are very rare. Finding a matching/balanced pair is even rarer. I've found a few, but I won't be using them.

I've now finished buying tubes. I have the WA22 and I know there are much more expensive headphone amps out there, but unless I can compare directly against these amps using my headphones with the music I listen to (perhaps at a CanJam), then I'll be sticking to what I have. A technician I know has recommended some mods/upgrades that I might want to consider, but I'm in no rush.

Apr 21, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #498 of 833

I spent the last couple of days tube rolling as well. There is too much truth in what leftside has posted so I roll on the lower end of the market. It helps keep peace at home and there are still good true NOS tubes from some reliable sources at the lower end of the price scale. I have been comparing GEC CV2984, CV5008, and CV8614 with Mullard 6080 and CV2984. Drivers were Raytheon 6SN7WGT and GE 6SN7GT labeled made for the Canadian market and made in Canada respectively. They came back to Canada by way of Langrex. Mullard GZ30 for the rectifier. The WA22 performed well with all but the edge goes to GEC CV2984 power tubes. If I move upmarket it will be for a Tak 274B. If that works out  I am going to hope leftside has some casts offs he wants to move east. Tonights WA22 configuration...

Apr 22, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #499 of 833
Didn't even know this thread was here :eek: and I've been on the general Woo thread for just about 2 years.

Oh well. I will subscribe now.

Over the past 18 months to two years I have tried so many tubes. I also hunt down cheaper options as I like to hold future stocks. I work on the principle that tube sets will last 5 years so I need 16 sets of everything. 80 years worth.

I've kinda reached my endgame and are now very near to stocked.

This is my top setup.

Rectifier TAK274B, drive tubes Tung-Sol round plates 6C8G and the Sylvania made 6BL7 X plates (often rebranded (I don't care what brand is printed)).

The TAK274B is not cheap however I find the Brimar 5Z4GY gets ya bloody close. To me close enough. So that is what I've stocked up on.

On rectifiers I have one TAK 274B, 16 Brimar 5Z4GY's and as backups 4 Mullard GZ32's

Drivers I have 32 NOS NIB Tung-Sol RP 6C8g's and 4 NU 6F8G's. Backups 40 RCA 6C8g's. I tried a lot of 6SN7's but none of them really grabbed me. I just held on to a set of RCA WW2 era grey plates.

Power tubes I struggled. I own and tried Mullard, RCA, Bendix graphite plate, Sylvania, Thomson, GEC 6080's and RCA, Chatham, Tung-Sol, GE 6AS7g's and the Tung-Sol 7236.

In the end the 6BL7 was superior to them all. So at the moment I have 9 sets. With 5 more sets coming. Only a few more sets to stock up on.

The sound from the TAK274 or Brimar5Z4GY, Tung-Sol 6C8g and Sylvania 6BL7's is truely magical. I've heard a lot of 300B HP tube amps and this tube arrangement gets very close. My WA22 sounds like a great tubed WA5.

Ask away on any tubes I've tried.

Apr 22, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #500 of 833
Didn't even know this thread was here :eek: and I've been on the general Woo thread for just about 2 years.

Oh well. I will subscribe now.

Over the past 18 months to two years I have tried so many tubes. I also hunt down cheaper options as I like to hold future stocks. I work on the principle that tube sets will last 5 years so I need 16 sets of everything. 80 years worth.

I've kinda reached my endgame and are now very near to stocked.

This is my top setup.

Rectifier TAK274B, drive tubes Tung-Sol round plates 6C8G and the Sylvania made 6BL7 X plates (often rebranded (I don't care what brand is printed)).

The TAK274B is not cheap however I find the Brimar 5Z4GY gets ya bloody close. To me close enough. So that is what I've stocked up on.

On rectifiers I have one TAK 274B, 16 Brimar 5Z4GY's and as backups 4 Mullard GZ32's

Drivers I have 32 NOS NIB Tung-Sol RP 6C8g's and 4 NU 6F8G's. Backups 40 RCA 6C8g's. I tried a lot of 6SN7's but none of them really grabbed me. I just held on to a set of RCA WW2 era grey plates.

Power tubes I struggled. I own and tried Mullard, RCA, Bendix graphite plate, Sylvania, Thomson, GEC 6080's and RCA, Chatham, Tung-Sol, GE 6AS7g's and the Tung-Sol 7236.

In the end the 6BL7 was superior to them all. So at the moment I have 9 sets. With 5 more sets coming. Only a few more sets to stock up on.

The sound from the TAK274 or Brimar5Z4GY, Tung-Sol 6C8g and Sylvania 6BL7's is truely magical. I've heard a lot of 300B HP tube amps and this tube arrangement gets very close. My WA22 sounds like a great tubed WA5.

Ask away on any tubes I've tried.

Dude that looks so cool. With the cost of all those tubes why not just go WA5? Or something even more up the chain for that matter?

Here's a problem I'm encountering after about 20ish hours of break-in so far with the stock tubes. It's definitely sounding smoother by the day, but WHERE'S MY BASS GOING? Gahhhh! I swear it's a constant fight for low-end weight when you enjoy higher end amps. I'm still recovering from splurging on the WA22, the Mojo, and the new cable for my LCD-Xs, but I want my damn bass lol. I managed to sell off some of my old WA7 tubes and a pair of Jordans out my closet for some extra tube cash. What are some tubes I can grab for around $200-300 that'll get me my bass back? I'm a heavy electronic music guy so I needs it bad.

Apr 22, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #501 of 833
Dude that looks so cool. With the cost of all those tubes why not just go WA5? Or something even more up the chain for that matter?

Here's a problem I'm encountering after about 20ish hours of break-in so far with the stock tubes. It's definitely sounding smoother by the day, but WHERE'S MY BASS GOING? Gahhhh! I swear it's a constant fight for low-end weight when you enjoy higher end amps. I'm still recovering from splurging on the WA22, the Mojo, and the new cable for my LCD-Xs, but I want my damn bass lol. I managed to sell off some of my old WA7 tubes and a pair of Jordans out my closet for some extra tube cash. What are some tubes I can grab for around $200-300 that'll get me my bass back? I'm a heavy electronic music guy so I needs it bad.

The tube set in my post just above is well within your price range and easy to get as true NOS from Langrex. I use HD800 phones and bass is no problem - plenty ... Much better than stock. You do need a lot more hours on the new amp though. 150-200. YMMV.

Apr 23, 2016 at 2:09 AM Post #502 of 833

Just go and get the Brimar 5Z4GY from Langrex and you will get nice bass. Very close to solid state.

I didn't want a WA5 or any 300B amp. I just can't get into the price of 300B tubes. Really do we need 300B power for HP's? I've always thought it was over the top.

I've always had a footprint problem. I don't have much space. Any amp will need to be mid size. Not massive like the WA5.

See not much space.

Apr 23, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #503 of 833
Just go and get the Brimar 5Z4GY from Langrex and you will get nice bass. Very close to solid state.

I didn't want a WA5 or any 300B amp. I just can't get into the price of 300B tubes. Really do we need 300B power for HP's? I've always thought it was over the top.

I've always had a footprint problem. I don't have much space. Any amp will need to be mid size. Not massive like the WA5.

See not much space.

Roger that. So when you say very close to solid state do you mean just the bass? Or will I lose the liquid warm tube sound altogether? And yeah I see what you mean about the massive WA5 footprint. I'm not down with all that either so I went with WA22. Nice Marantz gear btw. I use an SR7008 for HT duty. Atmos 7010 upgrading soon.

Apr 23, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #504 of 833
Roger that. So when you say very close to solid state do you mean just the bass? Or will I lose the liquid warm tube sound altogether? And yeah I see what you mean about the massive WA5 footprint. I'm not down with all that either so I went with WA22. Nice Marantz gear btw. I use an SR7008 for HT duty. Atmos 7010 upgrading soon.

Brimar is very dynamic. It delves deep and extends high. So it gives ya dynamic range like SS. Not as lush in the mid-range as say the Mullard GZ32. However you can tweak that with drive tubes.

I have the SR7009. So enjoy Atmos when we get the occasional title. I've just got the minimum ceiling speakers for Atmos. Might install more if the tech develops.

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #505 of 833
Brimar is very dynamic. It delves deep and extends high. So it gives ya dynamic range like SS. Not as lush in the mid-range as say the Mullard GZ32. However you can tweak that with drive tubes.

I have the SR7009. So enjoy Atmos when we get the occasional title. I've just got the minimum ceiling speakers for Atmos. Might install more if the tech develops.

Just ordered the Brimar last weekend(I hope I get a black one). What are some drive tubes I can use to get the mid-range lushness back?

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #506 of 833
Just ordered the Brimar last weekend(I hope I get a black one). What are some drive tubes I can use to get the mid-range lushness back?

RCA231 or 5692

Tung-Sol round plate 6SN7, 6SL7, 6SU7, 6F8G or 6C8g

NU 6F8g or 6C8g

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #507 of 833
RCA231 or 5692

Tung-Sol round plate 6SN7, 6SL7, 6SU7, 6F8G or 6C8g

NU 6F8g or 6C8g

Thanks! Whoa that's quite a list. Can I trouble you for some quick impressions and approximate prices of each?

Apr 27, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #508 of 833
Thanks! Whoa that's quite a list. Can I trouble you for some quick impressions and approximate prices of each?

Just my impressions

RCA V231. Nice midrange. Never gets harsh. I suspect a little treble roll. I may be wrong. $100.

RCA 5692. Like above. More detail. Smokey sounding. Very addictive. $150-$200.

Tung-Sol. My favorite. Just has everything. Just my opinion. Deep bass, warm midrange, plenty of treble detail without going harsh. Very full sounding. Massive soundstage. $80-$800.

NU (National Union). So close to Tung-Sol (99%). A tad leaner but with ever so slightly sweeter treble. $30-$150.

Apr 27, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #509 of 833
I can also strongly recommend the ECC32 - ECC35 tubes. Expensive, but worth it. Genuine NOS in mint condition with original box are extremely rare and extremely expensive. Almost too expensive to play I'd argue. Better to go with a lightly used pair.

Apr 28, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #510 of 833
Here are 3 of my favorite setups. Tube base colour's are colour matched.

Brown Base:

Silver/Metal Base:

Black Base:

And my favorite combo:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back