W5000 Owners' Amp Registry
Feb 18, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #151 of 185
The W5000+Raptor is more congested and closed-in than either the HA5000 or Zana Deux. Soundstage is much smaller. Both the HA5000 and ZD have better sense of air, imaging and separation, as well as larger headstages and virtual soundstages. The Raptor has the strongest bass impact, but it is also boomier, muddier and not as textured. The HA5000 has the least amount of bass. The ZD is the most refined.

I've been using the HA5000 with AT's and Sonys and the Raptor with Senns, Grados and the K701 for a long time, more than two years. I recently acquired a Zana Deux and after several weeks of listening, I'm very pleased with it. Now, I can replace both the HA5000 and Raptor with the ZD. The ZD performs significantly better than the Raptor with AT's and Grados. With Senns and the K701, they are closer but I prefer the ZD.

If the choice is either the Raptor or ZD for the W5000, I would definitely save up some more and go for the ZD.

One good thing about the ZD is that its tubes are not very expensive. The five tubes I'm using on the ZD are much cheaper than the three on the Raptor.

One bad thing about the ZD is heat. It is very hot, I'm worried about air conditioning bills during the summer.

Feb 21, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #153 of 185
I'm having a hard time understanding why there's so much love for the HA-5000.
When I plugged the w5000 in the ha-5000 it litterally sounded like crap to me. Even my aria sounded better. The Sugden Headmaster is a far better amp for the w5000 imho.

Feb 21, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #154 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildsurfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I plugged the w5000 in the ha-5000 it litterally sounded like crap to me.

Hmm, literally sounded like crap...

Do you mean the grunting sounds coming out of the mouth, the wet, sliding, sucking noise as it exits the body, or the splash and plopping sound when it hits the water?

Feb 21, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #155 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildsurfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm having a hard time understanding why there's so much love for the HA-5000.
When I plugged the w5000 in the ha-5000 it litterally sounded like crap to me. Even my aria sounded better. The Sugden Headmaster is a far better amp for the w5000 imho.

Fit issues perhaps? I tried the W5000 out of my Cowon D2 and it sounded decent but I wouldn't call it crap.

Feb 26, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #156 of 185
Add me back to the list. My W5000 just landed and it is the second time I have owned it. I have a RSA HR-2 coming on thursday. I decided to go with it instead of the zana duex in order to save for a B-52(should take about a year lol).

Mar 6, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #157 of 185
You can change mine to a LISA III. Wow! I cannot believe how nicely controlled the bass is out of the W5000's with the LISA III. And how much of it there is!
The mids are very sweet, very musical, and the highs are sparkling without any grain that I can hear. I am very happy! Fcklo told me that LISA was probably my best bet for an amp in my work environment, and he was right! Thanks Francis!

Mar 31, 2008 at 1:17 PM Post #159 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Add me back to the list. My W5000 just landed and it is the second time I have owned it. I have a RSA HR-2 coming on thursday. I decided to go with it instead of the zana duex in order to save for a B-52(should take about a year lol).

How's the HR-2 going for you? Would you regard it as a stop gap only, or as a serious contender (on a budget) ? I have a suspicion it may perform better with the W5000 than the Raptor being more suited to deliver high current to low impedance cans ? any comparisons in this respect ?

Mar 31, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #160 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by mnemonix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How's the HR-2 going for you? Would you regard it as a stop gap only, or as a serious contender (on a budget) ? I have a suspicion it may perform better with the W5000 than the Raptor being more suited to deliver high current to low impedance cans ? any comparisons in this respect ?

I don't have the raptor nor have I heard it, but the HR-2 does really well with them. The speed, dynamics, and musicality really shine. I previously used a ppx3 slam with the W5000 and I do miss the "slam" aspect, but the HR-2 is more accurate in it's presentation. The sound is more open, detailed and fast.

I'm currently trying to figure out what my next amp will be. I like the HR-2 but I would like to upgrade to a apache, zana duex, etc. just because I love these headphones so much.

Apr 9, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #161 of 185
Wow, these headphones are incredible. My pair just landed.
I'm running them out of my Darkvoice 332 which isn't a good combination because to get adequate sound level in both ears I end up having to push the volume pot past my comfort zone. This might be alleviated with an upgraded DV332 volume pot. Other than that the tube warmth and soundstage compliment these fons nicely, especially the soundstage.
However, I was going to sell my DV332 before I got the ATH-W5000's.
I'll hit up this thread again as soon as I have a new amp.

these sound unreal tho dAmn. this is similar to the sound I'm hoping to get out of my HD650's when I eventually run them balanced with a Zu cable..

EDIT: I solved my volume problem by lowering my source volume output..

I also don't own these headphones anymore,
I'm going for a fully calanced HD650 rig instead,
I like the HD650 sound better
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 25, 2008 at 11:49 AM Post #163 of 185
I've had mine for a few days. Source is Rotel RCD-1072, amp is Talisman T-35HP. Prefer them over 701's that i own. They are a lot better than i thought they would be, had to bend them to fit my head though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back