w5000 or w10vtg
Jun 28, 2009 at 4:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

GuyDebord

1000+ Head-Fier
Ok, I was supposed to get the ATH-W5000 soon, but the transaction was delayed and now Im second guessing due to the possibility of getting a ATH-W10VTG.

My music preferences are free-jazz, avant-jazz, modern composition and experimental electronic, and will be playing them via a highly modded (sound evolution lv.4) Benchmark DAC1 fed thru a pair of wireworld silver eclipse 5.2 rca's to a custom siemens c3g amp.

Im looking for the best closed cans I can get (aside from the L3000 which Im not willing to splurge on), please help me narrow my decision,

thanks in advance,

Jun 28, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #2 of 5
The W5000s Fitz 5005 modded are the best closed cans this side of the L3000 I've heard (and I've heard most of them). The stock W5000 are a totally different beast and I don't care for them. Very bright and thin sounding (although excellent detail and imaging). W10VTG are a very fun can. Excellent midrange, easy to drive. Don't have quite the detail and refinement of a higher end can, plus they're slightly sibilant. I would look into a pair of W11JPNs before a W10VTG. BTW I own all of these phones.

Jun 28, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by strangelove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The W5000s Fitz 5005 modded are the best closed cans this side of the L3000 I've heard (and I've heard most of them). The stock W5000 are a totally different beast and I don't care for them. Very bright and thin sounding (although excellent detail and imaging). W10VTG are a very fun can. Excellent midrange, easy to drive. Don't have quite the detail and refinement of a higher end can, plus they're slightly sibilant. I would look into a pair of W11JPNs before a W10VTG. BTW I own all of these phones.

Fitz 5005? lets search....

Jun 29, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by strangelove /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree that the W5000 is generally bright and thin sounding. The W10VTG is on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Personally for jazz, electronica, I would try and build a system that makes the W5000 shine. I don't know about a modded W5000, but with the right amp, the W5000 can be pulled back a bit from its weaknesses and its technical strengths (speed, spaciousness (though the VTG certainly is strong in this regard)) really shine. For all my love of the VTG (it's actually the only one I've got unpacked at the moment), I think the W5000 is a more rewarding can if you invest in building the right system for it.

The W11JPN certainly takes everything good about the W10VTG and takes it a step ahead. Though I still would try and get the best out of the W5000 than do a W11JPN for the music suggested. I don't know, I guess for jazz, electronica, modern synthetic music, I need speed and texture, spaciousness over warmth and body.

Best,

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back