W5000 Fitz Mod Guide
Sep 11, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #256 of 262
After 3 years Of F5005 listening I decided to open the cans again to examine what might have happened to the modification and to experiment a bit.

Mod was still in place like it was yesterday - no shrinking or drying out. Then I made a small modification to the F5005 mod by removing the "ravioli" and opening two more segments below the originally opened - the result was excellent:

Deepest bass without being overwhelming
A bit reduced AT mids and
High resolution and wide soundstage. I wont change this F5006 mod again.

So it is really worth experimenting a bit, the construction has so much potential. It really seems that AT produced headphones which have extreme potential and can be modified to the tailored sound. I wonder why there is no Blue Tack in the package :)

Dec 25, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #257 of 262
MY GAER IS TODAY
I CAN NOT UP PIC 

HD800
DT-880PRO THE BEST 
ATH-W1000X
ATH ESW11LTD
ATH-M50 THE BEST SOUND FOR THE 120$
CX400II

LUXMAN P-1U THE BEST FOR HD800 WIDE WORM SOUND TO ME HEVEN......
LHEMAANAODIO LINEAR
E-01 CLON OF THE BCL BUT THE SOUND IS SO GOOD FOR 220$ VERY GOOD WHIT DT88PRO

CD PLAYERS/TRANSPORTS
SONY CDP-XA50ES  -
THE BEST SONY CD I HAVE  EVER HERD   - EVEN THE SCD-1 IS NOT SO OPEN AND ALIVE AS THIS  XA50ES - I SOLD MY  SCD-1+TAE1  WHEN I HERD THE XA50ES !!!

DENON DCD-1650AR
DVP-S9000ES
CDP-337ESD
CDP-X303ES
CDP-X222ES

DAC

REGA DAC- VERY VERY OPEN WORM  VERY GOOD SOUND FOR CALSICAL  FOR ME.

MARANTZ CDA-94 16 BIT  WOW FOR THE SOUND IN 1986 !!!!  IN TODAY  DACS .IS HIEND
XLR OUT TO THE LUXMAN P-1U THE SOUND WOW FOR ALL RENGE - NOT SO OPEN AS REGA DAC BUT FULL.

MDS 
SONY MDS-JA555ES- AS DAC IS VERY VERY GOOD -LIKE THE SOUND OF XA50ES WHIT A LOT OF BASS LINE
            MDS-JA30ES-AS DAC  SONY WAS AT THE BEST !
            MDS-JA3ES

AND ISTILL CANOT FIN THE PEROPER SOUND FOR W1000X

THANK YOU
SONYES
ISRAEL

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #258 of 262
  OK. So I've experimented myself and made a variation of original F5005 mod. I like it so much that I probably won't be changing the mod anymore and will stay with this little variation. I am so happy with it that I would like to share it with you, too.

So initially I've made original F5005 mod - I covered the whole surface with blue tak and left both (grey and white) dampening materials in.
The mod made promising change to the sound of W5000, but I really didn't like the too much bass from which it got a little headache because of the air pressure. So I decide to try the following two modification of the mod:
1) I made a two little 'holes' in the blue tak surface (blue tak is still covering almost the whole surface except for the two little 'windows' i've made)
2) I removed the grey dampening material (white is still in place)

The result for me is that I got best of the F5005 mod. I have more bass, clear, but not piercing treble, tamed higher-mids and soundstage and imaging are like in the original W5000. Just great! I am really happy I made more experiments with the mod. Thank you to the original inventors of the mod!

Now I can rest and relax listening to the beautiful sound of W5000:)

Any chance you can post some photo of what you did? Original photo by OP has been removed :frowning2:

Mar 18, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #260 of 262

The photos are gone because I'm a dumbass and put them on imageshack. If I can find them in my archived files I can reupload them to something like imgur or whatever.

Thanks Fitz.
You can't upload them to head fi?

I ended up cutting out a ring of 1cm thickness and 1cm wide and place it between the driver and the leather pads.
The difference was night and day.

Jun 25, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #261 of 262
Have you found the pics on your archives?. I soon will have an Fitz Modded W5000 that i traded with an LCD-2, and I want to see how the mod was made.
I would be very grateful with the images that you did put again.
Quote:

The photos are gone because I'm a dumbass and put them on imageshack. If I can find them in my archived files I can reupload them to something like imgur or whatever.

Jul 2, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #262 of 262

Users who are viewing this thread

Back