W3 VERSUS W30 - - EXCITING NEWS!
Mar 17, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #91 of 246
I've been all over the Fidue A83's thread trying to pick myself out some much needed earphones.

I came accross these today while looking on a few websites.  Do these generally have a nice fit?  This is something which has been an issue with me with earphones I've used (I have only used cheapo ones before though).  I have been told that Westone and Shure have the best fittings around.  I guess this is the same for the W30's?  I would look at Etymotic as the fittings are also supposed to be good, but the buds really don't look all that nice.

Main uses will be for Classical music with some Metal thrown in now and again.  I will be using mainly Google Music but I would like to get some Classical music in FLAC also

An interesting thing to currently note is that from Amazon US, the Fidue A83's price is discounted to $279.95.  This roughly would come out at £189.76 converting to GBP.  The sad fact is though, the earphones are £269.99 over here, meaning we pay $398.31!  This doesn't look very attractive when compared.

The Westone W30's however, look more appropriately priced.  Amazon US they have them at $399.99 which in turn comes out at £271.16.  Amazon UK do have them for £249.99, so the price point looks a little more attractive and not get the feeling we are being ripped off!

What are the general thoughts on these headphones when combined with the music I like?  Also the fittings which I've struggled with before.

Mar 17, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #92 of 246
Just got my W30s. Been waiting since they launched. As a MoT, I'm limited in what I can say, but I think you'll get the message...

bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif

bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif

bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif

bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 17, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #93 of 246
  I've been all over the Fidue A83's thread trying to pick myself out some much needed earphones.

I came accross these today while looking on a few websites.  Do these generally have a nice fit?  This is something which has been an issue with me with earphones I've used (I have only used cheapo ones before though).  I have been told that Westone and Shure have the best fittings around.  I guess this is the same for the W30's?  I would look at Etymotic as the fittings are also supposed to be good, but the buds really don't look all that nice.

Main uses will be for Classical music with some Metal thrown in now and again.  I will be using mainly Google Music but I would like to get some Classical music in FLAC also

An interesting thing to currently note is that from Amazon US, the Fidue A83's price is discounted to $279.95.  This roughly would come out at £189.76 converting to GBP.  The sad fact is though, the earphones are £269.99 over here, meaning we pay $398.31!  This doesn't look very attractive when compared.

The Westone W30's however, look more appropriately priced.  Amazon US they have them at $399.99 which in turn comes out at £271.16.  Amazon UK do have them for £249.99, so the price point looks a little more attractive and not get the feeling we are being ripped off!

What are the general thoughts on these headphones when combined with the music I like?  Also the fittings which I've struggled with before.

For me the W30 are much better than the A83 - both in sound and comfort. They have a similar sound signature but I find the treble of the W30 far superior. They are also the most comfortable UIEM I've had, whereas the A83 were a nightmare for me in fit and seal.

That being said, for classical music you might also want to take a look at IEMs with more balanced sound like the BA Shure models as both the W30 and the A83 are v-shaped. Never tried the Shures though.

Mar 17, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #94 of 246
Agreed, the W30s are far and away the most comfortable IEM I have ever owned.

Quote:

For me the W30 are much better than the A83 - both in sound and comfort. They have a similar sound signature but I find the treble of the W30 far superior. They are also the most comfortable UIEM I've had, whereas the A83 were a nightmare for me in fit and seal.

That being said, for classical music you might also want to take a look at IEMs with more balanced sound like the BA Shure models as both the W30 and the A83 are v-shaped. Never tried the Shures though.

Mar 18, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #95 of 246
Thanks everyone.  I've decided to pull the trigger on the W30's.  I've looked into the Shure earphones but I just don't like the general look of them.  Another factor on deciding these is that I was able to purchase these for £231.21 ($339.41).  Considerably cheaper than the lowest price currently on our market at £249.99.  Potentially (if you look at it my way), I will have these for £221.30 ($324.79).  Seems like a pretty good price, yeah?

Original price at £269.  15% voucher redeem. 4.5% cashback going through another site and then I had some cash I didn't know about on my cashback account, so that goes towards it.

The only catch being, is I have pre-ordered the item.  They are currently due stock on the 20th.  Plus they are listed on Westone website as an authorised reseller.

Mar 18, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #96 of 246
I too have just ordered the W30s. I'm very interested to hear what a multi-BA sounds like, considering I've only had dynamic IEMs up to this point. Not sure I buy into the hype of 10 driver systems just yet. We'll see how three drivers goes first. :wink:

Quote:
  It has been mentioned before that the new Westone series products have almost non-existant marketing going on.  It’s pretty hard to understand especially when most had, indeed,  undergone distinct changes.  After 6 months or more some have virtually no reviews across the internet.  Pretty amazing!

And six months after your post, I still can't find squat for reviews. Heck, Googling it yields this thread as one of the top returns. There's very little information out there about this IEM. Even the Amazon review section for it is just a mish-mash of reviews from the W10, 20, 30 and 40. Probably only three or four were for the W30.

Very peculiar indeed.

I'm not one to don a tinfoil hat very often, but I do wonder if Westone realized the W30 might cannibalize too many sales of their higher end models, and thus they're leaving it to languish?

Or, it might just be getting lost in a see of competitors. Who knows...

Mar 18, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #97 of 246
  And six months after your post, I still can't find squat for reviews. Heck, Googling it yields this thread as one of the top returns. There's very little information out there about this IEM. Even the Amazon review section for it is just a mish-mash of reviews from the W10, 20, 30 and 40. Probably only three or four were for the W30.

Very peculiar indeed.

I'm not one to don a tinfoil hat very often, but I do wonder if Westone realized the W30 might cannibalize too many sales of their higher end models, and thus they're leaving it to languish?

Or, it might just be getting lost in a see of competitors. Who knows...

The signature of the W30 is somewhat like a slight V shape, just very slight, if i remembered correctly.

Having said that, it's nowhere close to the w3's V shaped signature.

If that's your kind of signature, i'm sure you'd like it. I'm kind of regretting my decision of sell it. 
ph34r.gif

Mar 18, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #98 of 246
  The signature of the W30 is somewhat like a slight V shape, just very slight, if i remembered correctly.

Having said that, it's nowhere close to the w3's V shaped signature.

If that's your kind of signature, i'm sure you'd like it. I'm kind of regretting my decision of sell it. 
ph34r.gif

Can I ask what prompted you to sell them? Just didn't need em with the UERM or what?

Mar 19, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #99 of 246

Can I ask what prompted you to sell them? Just didn't need em with the UERM or what?

I figured i don't need it since i got the UERM and could do with a little extra cash.

Then i find the UERM a little lean on bass, might be the fit though, it's coming back from a refit.
I rather like the quantity of bass on the w30, isn't overly boomy as with the w3.
Oh well, I just hope the guy i sold those to like em. 
L3000.gif

Mar 20, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #100 of 246

Hey Gilly87, how would you compare these to your TF10s?  I tried the W40 and was not a fan at all but really liked the fit, super comfortable.  I really like my TF10s, and am having a hard time finding a replacement that I like.    I'd take something with a similar signature but comfort and isolation are key and a big soundstage.  I'm thinking W30 or Earwerkz Supra 2

Mar 20, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #101 of 246

Hey Gilly87, how would you compare these to your TF10s?  I tried the W40 and was not a fan at all but really liked the fit, super comfortable.  I really like my TF10s, and am having a hard time finding a replacement that I like.    I'd take something with a similar signature but comfort and isolation are key and a big soundstage.  I'm thinking W30 or Earwerkz Supra 2

;_; Since my company makes earphones, I'm not allowed to post subjective impressions of competitor's products, unfortunately. What I can say is that I was looking for essentially the same things you were, and I am very happy with my W30. They do not sound the same as the TF10, but they do sound great,

Mar 20, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #104 of 246
As far as "quality of sound" I would put W30 and TF10 on equal ground.  I would say the main differences are as follows.....
  1. TF10 treble extends a bit farther.
  2. W30 midrange is much clearer, better with vocals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back