W3 VERSUS W30 - - EXCITING NEWS!
Feb 7, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #76 of 246
I have the W40's as well and THANK YOU for posting about the CanOpener app! What a huge difference in sound (and I have tried a few apps). All the hype about the W30's is making me want to try those as well but I am happy with the W40s.

I did try the se535 and I hated them. Sounded like a wall of loud, mashed up sound and the hiss was unbearable. I could only use them on my I devices without the hiss. The comfort level on the Westones was also in a different league. Still don't get the se535 hype and it makes me hesitant about the se846. I did try the se425 and it was better than the se535 in not hissing on everything but still has the wall of sound. For me, Westone sound is more detailed and articulate even though it sounds warmer.

You're welcome.  I don't use CanOpener all the time as I'm often mucking around with new playlists in the default player but whilst I'm slowly warming to the warmer sound of Westone I still prefer the sound from this app...

I'm glad I didn't go for the SE535 now as I'm hooked on these energetic detailed Westones...  

Feb 7, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #77 of 246
  Hey does anyone's faceplates make some unpleasant cracking noise when you are pressing the housings in your earcanals?

It's like they don't fit perfectly in the housing slots. If I loosen up the screws the noises disappear but that makes the screws slowly unscrew themselves from the housings.

I was thinking of doing the red/blue mod like yours but after reading this I might just leave them be... Maybe try a little blu-tack to pad them out?..

Feb 13, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #79 of 246
I own a fiio X5 and the W30's. I am enjoying the sound....my first ba design. I pulled the trigger due to this thread (spyro) and pleased with the result.

I am toying with idea of getting an amp to round out my setup. Do we feel my setup will benefit from an amp?

Thanks in advance to anyone with an opinion.

Feb 13, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #80 of 246
I have had every universal IEM Westone has ever made except (W10, W20) and IMHO.... W30 is the best bang for buck IEM in Westone's entire line of IEM's.  I compare it to JH5 being JH Audio's best bang for buck IEM.  I actually preferred the W30 to the SE846.

Feb 18, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #83 of 246
Hi,
I've recently got the Shure SE425, and while they are good IEMs, I prefer a tad bit more bass from them. How would the W30s compare to them overall? I use an iPhone 4S as my source with FLAC files for my listening. I usually listen to Metal and Progressive Rock most of the time.

Feb 18, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #84 of 246
Hi,
I've recently got the Shure SE425, and while they are good IEMs, I prefer a tad bit more bass from them. How would the W30s compare to them overall? I use an iPhone 4S as my source with FLAC files for my listening. I usually listen to Metal and Progressive Rock most of the time.

Definitely more bass.  Not only is W30 better than SE425, it is better than SE535.  Easily.  I had SE535 for over a year and W30 for about 6 months.

Mar 11, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #85 of 246
Can anyone advise how different foam tips influence the sound of these? Referring to Shure olives and Comply vs the Westone truefit.

The long westones attenuate the highs too much for me, while the short ones - just a little. Want to try Shure or Comply but not sure which one to do first.

Mar 12, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #86 of 246
Not much at all.  Its the same.  Any FOAM TIP tip will dampen the treble but assure you are getting optimum bass.

Beyond that.....what type of foam tip and the length doesn't matter much at all.

Mar 16, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #87 of 246
I'm curious about experimenting with BA IEMs, and I've been hovering around Westone's various mid-range-ish models for a while—W20, W30, W40, UM 30 Pro (in addition to Shure 425s and 535s). Spyro's descriptions do paint a rather flattering picture of the W30s, particularly in regards to the amount of bass and clarity of the mids.

I'm probably going to watch out for any deals on the W30 and pounce as soon as I find one.

If anyone is interested, I'd suggest checking out camelcamelcamel.com

There have been a few times when the W30s have been lower than $399—Aug, Sep, Nov and Dec 2014. Must have been flash sales of some sort.

Mar 17, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #90 of 246
  Not much at all.  Its the same.  Any FOAM TIP tip will dampen the treble but assure you are getting optimum bass.

Beyond that.....what type of foam tip and the length doesn't matter much at all.

I've been experimenting with the Shure olives for a day now and can say for me they are a significant upgrade from the westone tru fit. 

I get the same sound (yes, no muffled highs) as with the star tips but the comfort is better and the fit - way more secure (e.g. when chewing or yawning).

Interestingly I noticed some sibilance appeared but I got rid of it by tearing off the mesh/filter from the olive tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back