W3/IE8/TF10/SE530??? Sony S630 or Sandisk Clip?
Jan 4, 2009 at 7:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

dap_pad

500+ Head-Fier
Ok... this is a combination thread about sources and IEMs, so I'm not sure where to put it, but oh well LOL

Basically, I recently bought the Sandisk Sansa Clip 4GB and I'm floored by the great sound quality, but only with certain headphones that I have, namely the D2000s amped from my D2 Boa.

I've tried my ER4Ps with them and they sound alright but definetely not on the same level as the D2000s. My ER4Ps sound AMAZING out of the D2 Boa and iPod Touch however. So I've decided on upgrading my IEM collection.

I've decided on either the Westone 3, Sennheiser IE8, Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro or the Shure SE530. I basically have $200-350 to spend which is JUST enough for one of these IEMs. I would really like people's opinions on these IEMs. I'm leaning towards the IE8s though, as I've found that bass-heavy headphones seem to suit the Clip better. But I've also read reports of better bass on the Westone 3... so I'm a bit confused and would really like some enlightenment on the current high-end IEM situation
biggrin.gif
I basically want a bass heavy IEM (similar to the Atrio M5s, which I've owned and loved but sold in favor of the ER4Ps) with great soundstage and a decent treble. Kinda like my Denon D2000s in IEM form, but with even more bass quantity LOL

Now onto my next question. While I love the Clip, it's really picky with tags. I have some songs tagged in other languages which show up PERFECTLY on the iPod Touch, but become symbols like (&*^$^%*& on my Clip. It's also only some songs in an album, which is really weird as I edit them all at the same time. Some work perfectly, while some becomes symbols on the Clip. I've tried re-editing them and cleaning up the v1, v2 & v3 ID3 tag with no results. This is really important to me, so I'm thinking of also returning my Clip for the Sony S630. I've used my friend's A828 extensively and I like the sound quality from it and interface. So I'm also wondering if I should refund my Sansa Clip for an S630, which I assume has no trouble with my tags.

Basically, I would like an opinion on which IEM to choose between the Westone 3, Sennheiser IE8, Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro or the Shure SE530 and whether or not I should refund my Clip in favor of a Sony S630.

Jan 4, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #3 of 32
LOL true. I basically listen to everything. But mostly Rock, current Pop songs and soundtracks. So it's basically all over the music spectrum
biggrin.gif
But I really just want a headphone with great bass and a decent soundstage that isn't too bad in terms of treble. The D2000s is the closest I've come to my dream headphone, but I find the bass a bit too distant. This could be due to not enough burn-in but that's basically the type of sound I want. A D2000 with a more upfront, maybe a bit more in terms of quantity, bass.

Jan 4, 2009 at 7:55 AM Post #4 of 32
You forgot to mention your music taste my friend...however, I have listened to both W3 and SE530, and in my taste (I listen to a range of music...from Country to Rap...) I prefer W3 anytime, what got off me about the SE530 was the treble...and IMO w3 fixed that problem with a well extended, balanced and smooth treble...still waiting to hear IE8, but it uses a dynamic driver, will sound different with the Balanced Amateur ones(everything else on your list)...theoretically BA should sound better than dynamic in terms of frequency speed, etc...but seems people are very happy with IE8, just wanna audit it so I can throw my 2 cent ^ ^

Jan 4, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #5 of 32
Exchange Clip for S630 (much better sound quality), and Get IE8.. Perfecto!

Jan 4, 2009 at 8:05 AM Post #6 of 32
LOL ya... the Atrio M5s were dynamic drivers and sound really different to the ER4Ps, but the two are polar opposites in sound signature anyways.

I hear such great things about the W3 and the IE8, but I really don't want to dismiss the the TF10 and the SE530 since they do have a stable fanbase, something that only great headphones have. I'm really swayed by the W3 and the IE8 users though, they're comments are really convincing
biggrin.gif
I'm just not sure which one I should choose between the two.

I guess I should return my Clip then for the Sony?

Jan 4, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jogiya /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exchange Clip for S630 (much better sound quality), and Get IE8.. Perfecto!

IE8 perfecto? Isolation problem my friend...if it wasn't for that, I would have picked it up at first place because it can be obtained much cheaper than W3 (my brother lives in EU)...

Jan 4, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #8 of 32
Sansa clip isn't all that great hey...I own one and I use it in the gym...but S630 will surely offer you better sound IMO

Jan 4, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by dap_pad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL true. I basically listen to everything. But mostly Rock, current Pop songs and soundtracks. So it's basically all over the music spectrum
biggrin.gif
But I really just want a headphone with great bass and a decent soundstage that isn't too bad in terms of treble. The D2000s is the closest I've come to my dream headphone, but I find the bass a bit too distant. This could be due to not enough burn-in but that's basically the type of sound I want. A D2000 with a more upfront, maybe a bit more in terms of quantity, bass.

Battle between IE8 and W3, you have two solutions, one is to get both and return the one that you don't like. Two is to toss a coin~

Second method is easier and you will have your problem solved nicely ^ ^

Jan 4, 2009 at 8:46 AM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IE8 perfecto? Isolation problem my friend...if it wasn't for that, I would have picked it up at first place because it can be obtained much cheaper than W3 (my brother lives in EU)...

IE8's not as good isolation + good SQ VS W3's good isolation + Sibilance + Making some tracks sound strange and many shrill..
Result = IE8's, if you don't like the word perfecto.. than Bettero! (For many who're deviating away from W3's after listening to IE8's)
Also, out of the box, IE8's don't isolate so well but many MODS are already there to improve the isolation..

Jan 4, 2009 at 8:51 AM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

IE8's not as good isolation + good SQ VS W3's good isolation + bad sibilance + strange sounding tracks
result = IE8's if you don't like word perfecto.. than Bettero! (For many who're deviating away from W3's after listening to IE8's)

I am still using TF10 as it gives me a wonderful isolation. It is very important as I use these when I am travelling and when it becomes noisy at home.
How is IE8's isolation compared to other top IEMs?

Jan 4, 2009 at 8:58 AM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

IE8's not as good isolation + good SQ VS W3's good isolation + Sibilance + Making some tracks sound strange and many shrill..
Result = IE8's, if you don't like the word perfecto.. than Bettero! (For many who're deviating away from W3's after listening to IE8's)
Also, out of the box, IE8's don't isolate so well but many MODS are already there to improve the isolation..

Please specify that it is your opinion, I listened to W3 for a while now, first to mention that no Sibilance with any well recorded tracks and treble sounds very warm and balanced. track sound strange??? no idea what you saying...

My favorate combination is W3 + metallica "Master of Puppets" Its Amazing, zero flow IMO...man if you really wanna know about W3...there are so many professional reviews...here just a few people ditching about it because it just doesn't fit their taste...professional review will be more helpful to you...and if you have specific questions, it will be nice to PM headphoneaddict, Larry is a super nice person and very willing to help people out.

Lastly, IEM is in ear, if bad isolation, whats the point of getting in ear monitor. anyways, I am still getting my IE8, it might create good seal for me with long comply...but if it doesn't I will return it right away..

Jan 4, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaushama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am still using TF10 as it gives me a wonderful isolation. It is very important as I use these when I am travelling and when it becomes noisy at home.

Will compare them to W3's within the next few days and let you guys know about my opinion about IE8's isolation, and SQ.. (probably in IE8's Thread)
But according to what i've read, it is not bad.. Definitely not as good as SE530's/Ety's/W3's.. (maybe comparable to SF3's?)

Jan 4, 2009 at 9:05 AM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaushama /img/forum/go_quote.gif

IMO W3 and SE530 gives me best Isolation in the market (thats to use comply or shure black foam)...then Image x10...then UE tri-fi...but it hurts my ear after a while...will see how IE8 isolates when it comes...I don't expect it to seal as good as W3 and SE530...but if it can seal up to Image x10's level, I will think it is a good product, provided that it doesn't lose any seal whilst im runing...I only use IEM in the gym...

Jan 4, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please specify that it is your opinion, I listened to W3 for a while now, first to mention that no Sibilance with any well recorded tracks and treble sounds very warm and balanced. track sound strange??? no idea what you saying...

My favorate combination is W3 + metallica "Master of Puppets" Its Amazing, zero flow IMO...man if you really wanna know about W3...there are so many professional reviews...here just a few people ditching about it because it just doesn't fit their taste...professional review will be more helpful to you...and if you have specific questions, it will be nice to PM headphoneaddict, Larry is a super nice person and very willing to help people out.

Lastly, IEM is in ear, if bad isolation, whats the point of getting in ear monitor. anyways, I am still getting my IE8, it might create good seal for me with long comply...but if it doesn't I will return it right away..

It is not just my opinion.. if you've followed the W3's two major threads, there are lots and lots of people shouting about Sibilance problems (including me, yes it is my opinion too)
Than read IE8's Thread.. things automatically become clear..
(I will post my opinions about IE8's vs W3's soon.. which will include SQ and isolation when outside)

That doesn't mean W3's suck or W3's are Awful etc (of course, you own them and don't want anyone to say what i said about them when you love their SQ..)

If you like to listen to a particular type of genre or all of your songs sound good with W3's than AWESOME!.. but I listen to many many many different types of songs (any good song from let's say 70's to now)
Some songs sound very very very good.. but others are just so shrill that the treble hurts my ears.. (and I'm not talking about compressed songs only)
I don't care if the recording wasn't perfect.. but i do care about my fav. tracks sounding good to me when i have spent $600AUD on them...

Lolz wasn't comparing IE8's with W3's above.. was just mentioning my problems with W3's..
Everything said, W3's seem to have a good potential using the "right" tip and a "good" sound source..
W3's are very Fussy (there can be a range of problems, in case you aren't happy with their SQ).. and IE8's have isolation issues.. but generally everyone who is getting them loves them..

Edit: I'm loving my W3's right now..! Perfecto!... (using NWZ-A728)
I just hope the next track won't irritate my ears with treble...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back