VSonic VSD5 Impressions Thread. VSonic's answer to Sony's EX1000???
Jan 31, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #346 of 1,164
  People wishing to get the EX1000 experience should still be looking for a second-hand unit; the VSD5 isn't close enough.

Or the EX600, since it's like 97% of the EX1000 or so.

1) i was tuned after the ex 1000 from what i know, those have pretty poor isolation. is the vsd5 a completely sealed iem?

They isolate better than the EX1000 for sure, and aren't as prone to wind noise either. I'd have to look them over to find any sort of vent or whathaveyou. So if there is one it isn't too obvious.

Jan 31, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #349 of 1,164
  just ordered a real ex1000 and will do comparison in a week or two :wink:

popcorn.gif

I'm pretty sure these VSD5s aren't a clone or anything, they just approximate the sound signature. Their biggest difference is gonna be in the midrange and timbre, I'm guessing.

Jan 31, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #351 of 1,164
I just noticed the jack on these is silver, not gold. I remember back in the day, when I didn't know crap about this audio stuff(not that I do now), the type of plating used on the jack was a deal-breaker or maker for me. If I got home with a new headphone purchase and saw that the jack was silver, straight back to the store with 'em, where I'd inspect potential replacements for gold plating - a surefire indicator of audio excellence.:xf_eek:

Jan 31, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #352 of 1,164

^
Welp tbh i wasn't THAT impressed with these VSD5's initially cuz for some reason it just lacked some PRaT/musicality to me.

BUT this all changed recently after i disconnected my Cayin C5 amp from my FiiO X5 and went commando. hoho
very_evil_smiley.gif

What i make of my findings is that these VSD5's are inherently VERY 3D in nature with great headroom/soundstaging/ imaging AS WELL AS TEXTURE (burning them for the past week constantly certainly has opened them up more with better depth and control on their treble). From what i am hearing now these a on par if not best the GR07 BE's especially in resolution.

All the great qualities stated above DID NOT gel well with the already 3D/large staging sound of the Cayin C5 amp cuz is made the overall sound too diffused cuz it LITERALLY was too redundant. 

With just the FiiO X5s connected to the VSD5's the sound is much more dynamic and tighter in nature with more emotional and PRaT in the presentation. The sound of these VSD5's are now textured in a silky smooth kinda' way with amazin' depth and layering from bass to treble. There is a slightly dry crispness to their treble but yet has great sparkle without any harshness/brightness nor fatigue. Mids are almost as forward as the GR07 BEs but lacks a bit of the lushness of the BEs so besides that these VSD5's almost tops those old VSonic flagships. This is especially true in their 3Dness/resolution cuz those GR07 BEs were lackin' in those regards fo' sho.

I am gonna' say this now, these VSD5's are on par with the Sony H3 on all accounts esp. if you are lookin' for something that is on the slightly brighter side with a more extended treble. Those super tweeters on those H3s are no joke and i love their smooth, yet extended effortless treble but for $65 i paid for these VSD5's i now have ZERO regrets sellin' off those H3s and will not buy them again for over $100. Ironically it was the VSD3S that made me sell off those Sonys cuz i was pretty damn happy/ satisfied with their sound being close to the H3's, but these VSD5's just put the nail in the coffin for my H3 sell-off remorse. hoho
evil_smiley.gif

On that note HYPED!!! Da' HYPE IS REAL FOR THESE VSD5's. Welp at least for me straight from my FiiO X5 cuz it's the 1st tyme the Cayin C5 DID NOT make my IEM sound better hooked onto the FiiO.
ksc75smile.gif

What do you exactly mean by saying the the mids are almost forward as the gr07be?
The mids on the BE's are slightly recessed overall being behind the rest of the spectrum by ~2/3db.
Do you mean that the mids on the vsd5 are recessed and still behind the rest of the spectrum by over ~ 2/3db?
Do you still own the BE's or your just going by memory?

Feb 1, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #355 of 1,164
i still have splashy treble, not sweet, pristine or any other delightful term. Maybe i'll leave wax in my ears for a few weeks to act as a filter.:D

Feb 1, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #358 of 1,164
With the proper fit, and proper tip, there is no fatiguing siblance. Tip rolling is the key. Medium silicone tips work well for me. These phones are highly detailed IMO. Compared them to vsd3 earlier & they are much cleaner. Twice the price though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back