VSonic VSD1/VSD1S Reviews/Impression Thread
Aug 11, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #752 of 2,003
FYI, from joker's IEM review thread:

Quote:
I haven't had the VSD1 long enough to have a score in mind yet but I do think it'll score higher than the VC02 and Sony MH1C. The UEs have a very different sound than the VSD1s - a lot more mid-oriented, with less bass and treble.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-292-iems-compared-short-impressions-of-11-iems-added-08-09-13-p-745/10860#post_9593625

Aug 11, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #753 of 2,003
Just tried purchasing it. It's 10 euros to the UK, 3 days delivery. There's also .... http://audiodsc.com/Vsonic-VSD1 free delivery, but like lendmeurears, will take 10-15 days delivery.
confused_face.gif

btw, how is the fit for the VSD1? 

Aug 11, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #754 of 2,003
I got my vsd1 from lendmeurears, to the uk and they arrived pretty quick. Also you can ask lendmeurears to write the item as gift and lower the value, so your less likely to get taxed on them. I find the fit very comfortable and they seal pretty well.

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #756 of 2,003
[size=medium]@Gavern,[/size]

[size=medium]I checked with headphoniaks directly, as a friend of mine in Finland wants to purchase a GR06, and shipping to EU costs around 15 Euros with express system by Nacex and you get them in 48/72 hours max, but headphoniaks only charges you 10 Euros (8 pounds), so they “absorb” 5 Eur.[/size]
[size=medium]In my case, I use the IEMs in all kind of “rough” situations and I really give them a hard time, so I value the 2 years warranty.[/size]

[size=medium]RuRu[/size]

Aug 13, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #758 of 2,003
Hi how does this compare against the audio technica ckm500?

I found the VSD1 to be sonically superior in almost all respects. Build and ergonomics are also better.

I have the VSD1S and it's a much better phone than the R1's IMO. The bass is tighter, mids are more forward and treble is much more sparkly and clear.

Indeed. I like the R10s, but experience the Vsonics as being in a league above them - in all respects. They compete with earphones many times their price.

I can't imagine a price / performance ratio like this being beaten any time soon, unless Hifiman go down the budget route. Vsonics have a habit of doing this, much to our benefit!

Aug 13, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #760 of 2,003
Quote:
Nulliverse since you already had the JVC FXD80 how do they perform against the VSD1? I've read they have similar signature.

Nah, they are pretty different. The fxd80 is more similar to the gr02be -V-shaped with thinner note presentation and more prominent treble than the VSD1. The VSD1 is only a touch laid back in the mids and overall is more natural sounding. I personally didn't like both the gr02be and fxd80 coz they were both lacking in the lower mids and I just couldn't enjoy any male vocals with them, which is pretty important for me. On the other hand both were a bit more enjoyable with female vocals but a bit fatiguing.

Aug 13, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #761 of 2,003
I found the VSD1 to be sonically superior in almost all respects. Build and ergonomics are also better.

I realize you are making a comparison, about which I have no comment, but as to the VSD1 (compared to my generally higher end items), I find the VSD1 pretty much junk on exactly those metrics (build, ergonomics, sound). On a scale of 1-10, I'd give the following: Build: 2 Ergonomics: 1 Sound: 4 I picked up a pair that I thought might be useful for about town use, but they started falling apart after a few uses in my home (and I am pretty easy on my equipment). Plus, the fit/ergonomics were horrendous for me personally. I tossed these in the trash after a few weeks of pain.

Aug 13, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #762 of 2,003
Quote:

I realize you are making a comparison, about which I have no comment, but as to the VSD1 (compared to my generally higher end items), I find the VSD1 pretty much junk on exactly those metrics (build, ergonomics, sound). On a scale of 1-10, I'd give the following:Build: 2Ergonomics: 1Sound: 4I picked up a pair that I thought might be useful for about town use, but they started falling apart after a few uses in my home (and I am pretty easy on my equipment). Plus, the fit/ergonomics were horrendous for me personally. I tossed these in the trash after a few weeks of pain.

I have no idea what have you done with your VSD1 but I've been using both the VSD1 and VSD1S for quite a while with the VSD1S assigned for gym use, so it has been under plenty of strain and sweat and both are fine. The build is average but honestly what do you expect from a $40 iem - titanium housings and crystal cable covered with kevlar sheet? It's always a bad idea to compare cheap iems to higher end stuff in the build quality department even though the higher price is not always a guarantee for better quality - at least when you pay so little you should lower your expectations. In fact the VSD1's cable, which vsonic have been using lately for their lower-end iems is one of my favorite cables and I wouldn't be bothered at all if all my iems had the exact same cable. And as far as ergonomics go - it's always subjective - I have absolutely no issues with fit or pain and I've had issues with a lot more expensive iems. Do you mind enlightening me which iems are you are you comparing the VSD1's build and sound quality to?

Aug 13, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #763 of 2,003
I am well aware of it being unfair to compare a $40 IEM to higher end items, which is why I didn't bother going into one (other than to remark that the sound was a "4" for me). I don't even need to get far into that comparison to remark about (i) fit for me personally (which didn't work) and (ii) the poor build. The strain relief on both sides came apart within two weeks, and I was only using them at my desk, in what can only be described as the least strenuous possible usage. I only add this comment to contribute to the accumulation of anecdotes about the product, not to convince anyone that every unit distributed was junk, in the same way, for every user.

Aug 13, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #764 of 2,003
Quote:
I am well aware of it being unfair to compare a $40 IEM to higher end items, which is why I didn't bother going into one (other than to remark that the sound was a "4" for me). I don't even need to get far into that comparison to remark about (i) fit for me personally (which didn't work) and (ii) the poor build. The strain relief on both sides came apart within two weeks, and I was only using them at my desk, in what can only be described as the least strenuous possible usage. I only add this comment to contribute to the accumulation of anecdotes about the product, not to convince anyone that every unit distributed was junk, in the same way, for every user.

I was mostly interested in you quoting your iems for reference and how do you rate them in sound in comparison coz rating the VSD1 with a sound score of 4 on a scale to 10 is pretty hilarious no matter which higher end iems you have. The VSD1 is sitting pretty high in the sq chart despite it's low price and is one of these iems that really show you how hard can diminishing returns hit you when you start venturing into the higher-end market. I accept that maybe the sound signature wasn't your cup of tea but when you go into a thread commenting about an iem you should be objective and not subjective. Just like I did with that JVC FXD80 comparison few posts above - I might not like its signature but I can't deny it has its merits, so I don't bash on it. Right now without any comparisons or anything what you're doing is trolling - not contributing.

The VSD1 is a great bang for buck but if you're not on a budget you should have gone for the higher end Vsonic GR07. Issues with build quality occur with high end products too, so something like what happened to your VSD1 can probably happen sometimes, but when something like that happens you don't act like an elitist throwing the item in the garbage and coming into the product's thread and bashing on it and its inferiority to your high end products - you contact the seller and settle it with him. 

Aug 13, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #765 of 2,003
I, too am curious which high end IEM sfoclt is comparing the VSD1 to. I would not be surprised if it were the AKG K3003, Sennheiser IE800, UE900 or any IEM above $500.

For me, my IEM collection from most expensive to least (purchase price):

Sony XBA4iP ($210), GR07BE ($133), Phonak PFE 132 ($99), MEELEC M-Duo ($70), VSD1 ($35), Monoprice 9927 ($8)

The VSD1 can more than hold its own against these in SQ and comfort.

While I respect sfoclt's opinion, a little reference would be nice, as kova4a mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back